Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Grinder review - Cabelas Pro Grinder 450

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What broke on your kitchenaid? In most cases they're easily fixed. If you need, drop it off here and I could probably fix it for you.
    I have a spare Hobart in the garage that needs fixing. I think it's an N-50 just like the one I use. I drop it to you, you fix it, Bogey buy it, everybody happy.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a spare Hobart in the garage that needs fixing. I think it's an N-50 just like the one I use. I drop it to you, you fix it, Bogey buy it, everybody happy.
    What's wrong with it? If the motor doesn't run, then it's the mosfet on the electronics board. You can either buy a new board for about $40 or upgrade the mosfet for around $5. If it's grinding gears, that's a little more involved, but still very fixable. The parts for the kitchenaids are readily available and not that expensive. It's actually harder to tear them apart than it is to fix them.

Those motors also have brushes, which would need to be replaced eventually. If you took the brushes out and didn't put them back in properly the motor won't run.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Depends how much you use it.
    I don't grind much outside of deer season, and get by just fine with a cheap $100 model from china mart.
    I typically grind about 30-50 pounds at a time depending on what I am making. Goes reasonably quick.
    That's a simple grind. A second grind for sausage or other processed stuff takes a lot longer. But has more to do with
    the consistency rather than the speed of the grinder.

Mine is close to 15 years old now. It's far from ideal, but I got my $100 out if it.

I agree the cheap way to go is to make one. I had a contraption given to me once, just needed a motor. But once I stood back and looked at the size I purchased what I have now. Storing was going to be a problem. And I knew it was going to end up in pieces when not in use. I didn't want to chase everything down and spend an hour searching and cleaning everything. During hunting season it's hectic enough. If you have the room go for it!

(Berks County)

What's wrong with it? If the motor doesn't run, then it's the mosfet on the electronics board. You can either buy a new board for about $40 or upgrade the mosfet for around $5. If it's grinding gears, that's a little more involved, but still very fixable. The parts for the kitchenaids are readily available and not that expensive. It's actually harder to tear them apart than it is to fix them.

Those motors also have brushes, which would need to be replaced eventually. If you took the brushes out and didn't put them back in properly the motor won't run.
    I haven't tried running it I think it's got some gear problems. IIRC there was oil in the bowl when I snagged it. I looked at it and couldn't figure out how to get the sucker open.

i've got an old hobart 4.5qt[i believe] i've never used it for grinding, thought about getting the attachment though.
    mixer is probably about 30yr old, i've refurbished it with new grease and all internals were pristine.

worth getting attachment? i always figured they were a gimmick for people who want to make 3 or 4 breakfast links.

always thought about getting a hand crank with pulley for a motor, better to skip and just go motorized?

kitchenaids and hobarts are simpler to repair than a gun. if i recall, most have a sacrificial plastic gear. IE a part designed to break to protect the rest.
    i could be wrong, it's been years since i redid ours but they are extremely well documented and remember, food safe grease. unlike rugers, you should be able to order any part online for repairs.

you can google disassembly but i recall removing two screws, a metal trim ring and then a series of screws. it WAS easier than pistol triggers.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I haven't tried running it I think it's got some gear problems. IIRC there was oil in the bowl when I snagged it. I looked at it and couldn't figure out how to get the sucker open.
    If it's built like the KA's are, then you have to take the trim ring off around the beater attachment. Then there's a series of screws to take out. A couple of screws in the back and the top should lift off. The worm gear and the drive gear are easily replaced and fairly cheap.

What broke on your kitchenaid? In most cases they're easily fixed. If you need, drop it off here and I could probably fix it for you.
    I gave it to the x wife, it started leaking oil and struggling with grinding.
    I think she still uses it just to mix cookie dough.

(Berks County)

OK, I figured it was easy enough once the trick was figured out, I'll dig into it. Thanks for the help.

I got the KitchenAid grinder/sausage stuffer and I've used it a little, not a lot but I intend to grind some bacon to add to my hamburger here soon. The Hobart people told me that the KitchenAid part wouldn't work on it despite the fact that they were similar and have the same size drive lug. If the grinding got tough the Hobart might eat the KitchenAid part alive but so far it works.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Depends how much you use it.
    I don't grind much outside of deer season, and get by just fine with a cheap $100 model from china mart.
    I typically grind about 30-50 pounds at a time depending on what I am making. Goes reasonably quick.
    That's a simple grind. A second grind for sausage or other processed stuff takes a lot longer. But has more to do with
    the consistency rather than the speed of the grinder.

Mine is close to 15 years old now. It's far from ideal, but I got my $100 out if it.

I agree the cheap way to go is to make one. I had a contraption given to me once, just needed a motor. But once I stood back and looked at the size I purchased what I have now. Storing was going to be a problem. And I knew it was going to end up in pieces when not in use. I didn't want to chase everything down and spend an hour searching and cleaning everything. During hunting season it's hectic enough. If you have the room go for it!
    Im only grinding about 50-75lbs a winter. Mine is so slow the meat gets too warm,
    even if i place the attachments in the freezer overnight.

(Lancaster County)

If anyone has a KA that just stops running, let me know, I ended up buying 5 of the mosfets to fix my back up KA. Only takes about 20 minutes to repair. Far cheaper than buying the entire board. The really sad thing is the mosfet that's there from the factory is only rated for 6A, and you can definitely draw more than that just kneading dough. I have 12A versions here, they shouldn't burn out so easily.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast