Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best ak-47

(Northampton County)

Default The best ak-47

Now that prices are coming down I'm looking to buy a Ak-47. To save on ammo
    I intend to shoot surplus 7.62. Any suggestions on what make would be the most dependable? Looked at the Russian built Siaga but because it has been "sporterized" I would have to spend whatever I saved to convert it. I'm looking at a pistol grip with folding stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: The best ak-47

You are wasting your time wondering which one to get. Because right when you find the one you want there is always another that catches your eye somewhere else. Just get one. After a while, if you don't like it anymore trade it or better yet buy another.
    I will not remove my AVATAR until this threat is over. One down, four up.

(York County)

I agree, they are addictive and before you know it you will have more than one. If you want something that is cheap and reliable you could go with the ever plentiful WASR10, and then once you are more familiar with the platform upgrade to other models. Either way, you'll end up with more than one.

(Delaware County)

Search "KVAR" for the thread about the great prices on the Arsenal Saiga's. Then buy that. You will not do any better for any less money, I'm not sure you can do any better for ANY amount of money frankly.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Montgomery County)

WASRs are going to be down to $350 by spring (if not Christmas). Consider that people were paying $700 to $800 for them last spring. Its a great time to buy if you want a shooter.

The "save money with surplus ammo" thing isn't happening. 7.62 x 39 is $$$ compared to what it was a few years back.

If you are looking for a high quality AK you can show off (both a shooter and a trophy) check out Lancaster:

http://www.lancasterarms.com/

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw Pact View Post

The "save money with surplus ammo" thing isn't happening. 7.62 x 39 is $$$ compared to what it was a few years back.
    Just seeing that makes me sick!!! Talk about inflation.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by guard dog View Post
    Now that prices are coming down I'm looking to buy a Ak-47. To save on ammo
    I intend to shoot surplus 7.62. Any suggestions on what make would be the most dependable? Looked at the Russian built Siaga but because it has been "sporterized" I would have to spend whatever I saved to convert it. I'm looking at a pistol grip with folding stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This deterrent in the disguise of "sporterization" makes the Saiga initially less desirable to most people. As your first AK... it's basically on what you want the end product to be and your own personal "tinkering" abilities as to whether it is a good idea or not. (For you)

However... when finished... there is no question this is probably one of the absolute BEST stamped receiver AK's money can buy. Period.

So if you want to get an "ak" and go make some noise and see if you like the whole idea... then I can see you going out and buying a WASR and still enjoying that. However, comparing it overall in fit, finish, and quality... to these Russian built AK's... it's not even close. I have 2 Romanian built rifles, one a TGI built Bulgarian 47 clone. And the other a PSL imported directly from Romania.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the Romanian AK a lot. But even comparing it to the FEG' AMD65. Fit, finish, and function. It loses. And that is a 12" barreled AK.

The Saiga is the right move if you don't mind buying the rifle and spending more money over time to get it into the format you would like. It is the better rifle. But in the end you will have more $ in it. The good news is, it's not like going out and buying a high dollar custom shop milled AK for the same cost as a higher shelf AR-15. ($1300-1500) And you can spread out the $ over time and still end up with a good rifle.

You could also possibly consider getting it in 5.45 as well. If you shoot often, and a lot. Ammo is literally HALF the price of 7.62x39mm. And is still available in cheap military surplus format. Mags will be more expensive however.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; December 1st, 2009 at 12:14 AM.

(Indiana County)

If you are looking for a side folder, and on the cheap, you are going to be limited to a WASR or a AMD. The WASR will have a poly stock more than likely and I believe it gets in the way of the trigger when folded. The AMD wire type stock kind of does, but you still can access the trigger.

Underfolders are what I prefer due to no goofy looking hinge hanging out of the rear of the reciever, but they are not that great to shoot IMO. I can only keep one side of the "butt" on my shoulder and the leg digs into the side of your face when firing. Wrapping the metal in para cord helps, but just a little.

You are probably going to be stuck with a Century gun, of which I'm not too impressed with (Century as a company), and finding a homebuild that is done right can be tricky as well.
    If you go with a WASR, the biggest gripe you might have is with wobbly mags, at worst maybe a canted sight.
    I would go with a standard WASR and then change out the stock if you are still wanting to go sidefolder after trying out the fixed stock. An underfolder is going to limit you to a Century Wasr if you are looking to stay cheap.
    If you want to bust the bank, look for a Polytech or Norinco.

Also, true surplus ammo is mostly going to be corrosive stuff, the Wolf, Tiger, Barnaul, Tula, ect... currently out there is new non corrosive commercial production. If you do find and use true surplus corrosive stuff, most barrels are chrome lined so its not a big deal, however the gas tube is not and can corrode up. The commercial stuff is fine.

(Lancaster County)

If you want to save money with surplus ammo i'd suggest an ak-74 chambered for 5.45x39.

You can grab Bulgarians from centerfiresystems.com for about $500. Surplus ammo will run you about $300 for 2,160 rounds. Give or take a few bucks with shipping.

7.62x39 isn't as cheap, and surplus is harder to find. If you still that route get to www.k-var.com before the 7th. They've got really nice Bulgarian and Russian ak's on sale in the $500 range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Also, true surplus ammo is mostly going to be corrosive stuff, the Wolf, Tiger, Barnaul, Tula, ect... currently out there is new non corrosive commercial production. If you do find and use true surplus corrosive stuff, most barrels are chrome lined so its not a big deal, however the gas tube is not and can corrode up. The commercial stuff is fine.

The Barnaul Brown Bear I purchased recently was indeed corrosive. I have not had those kind of problems with Wolf BB, or MC. Hell even Hotshot... as sad as that is.

I found that one out the hard way.

The gas tube can be dealt with by using a 12 gauge bore brush and some hoppes #9 then a light coat of oil. For what the new commercial ammunition costs these days - combined with some of the poor performance I have witnessed. You might as well buy corrosive Yugo surplus.

They even neutered the 124gr Wolf MC. It no longer has the prefail cuts in the nose, doesn't have the sealant, and no longer performs. Which effectively killed the last cost effective 7.62x39mm round for self defense.

Which is why given the current state of affairs, I'm even leaning towards picking up a 5.45 AK - and just buying a crap pile of corrosive surplus.

It's still effective, more accurate, and much much cheaper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast