Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trade in Detective Special for an LCP?

I have a mint (no scratches) 3rd gen detective special my dad gave me a few years ago. i have never fired it, but i put some snap caps in it and noticed a timing/advance issue (the snap caps had pin marks on the "primers" that weren't all dead-on-center).

i really want an LCP. would i be foolish to trade the detective special in towards an LCP rather than just keep the the detective special? also, i have never traded in a gun before (always just buy, to expand collection). how much below blue book should i expect to get? (wondering if i can get a shop to give me a close to even trade, despite timing issue, or if they're going to give me low-dollar on an increasingly hard to find gorgeous Det special).

side note - my real question is, why would i ever carry the detective special if i had an LCP? LCP conceals so much better, carries one extra round (7 vs. 6) and the .380 vs. 38 special are close enough for me). thoughts?

Default Re: trade in Detective Special for an LCP?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    I have a mint (no scratches) 3rd gen detective special my dad gave me a few years ago. i have never fired it, but i put some snap caps in it and noticed a timing/advance issue (the snap caps had pin marks on the "primers" that weren't all dead-on-center).

i really want an LCP. would i be foolish to trade the detective special in towards an LCP rather than just keep the the detective special? also, i have never traded in a gun before (always just buy, to expand collection). how much below blue book should i expect to get? (wondering if i can get a shop to give me a close to even trade, despite timing issue, or if they're going to give me low-dollar on an increasingly hard to find gorgeous Det special).

side note - my real question is, why would i ever carry the detective special if i had an LCP? LCP conceals so much better, carries one extra round (7 vs. 6) and the .380 vs. 38 special are close enough for me). thoughts?

Please enlighten us..........

(Montgomery County)

A new LCP goes for about 350 USD give or take. A Colt DS goes for from 400 and up depending upon many factors. If you feel the need to take it to a gun shop be prepared to get low balled for the piece, probably in the 250 range. As a tactic, your best bet would be to try to sell or trade that revolver here on the forum.

As for timing issues, looking at snap caps is not the best way to do it. Here is how to check the timing on a revolver:

Double Action: Slowly pull the trigger rearward while observing the cylinder. They are usually two audible "ticks" before the hammer drops onto the frame. The first tick is the cylinder being released to turn and the second (about 75-80% of the trigger travel distance back) tick is the cylinder locking in place before firing. This should be done for all of the cylinders a few times. Note: sometimes when pulling the trigger very slowly there may not be enough inertia to lock the cylinder all the way into place on every pull, pull the trigger a little faster and if this goes away it is fine.

In short, the cylinder is to lock into place for the fresh round before the hammer falls. If the hammer falls and the cylinder can be rotated, the timing is off.

Single Action: Cock the hammer slowly with your thumb while observing the cylinder. The cylinder should make the same two above described "ticks" and lock into place before the hammer reaches the fully rearward position.

BTW, if I had an LCP (which I have no love for) I would trade you for the DS in a second (granted it is in decent condition) .380 cannot throw a 158 grain bullet like the .38 can...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

That little Colt is a classic snubby. I wouldn't trade it for an LCP, I'd keep it (for one thing, it's a memento from your Father).
    So, if the Colt doesn't mean anything to you, go ahead and sell it. Like Steve wrote, you'll get raped if you trade it.
    The LCP's go for between $270 and $300 in south central PA (but you might have to wait for it). Save your bucks and you'll have enough for an LCP in a few months. And you'll still have the Colt which would make a great house gun.
    I do consider .380 a quite adequate round for self defense. But my LCP is used as a back up to a primary weapon which is either a .38 snubby or a 9 mm.

Slightly off topic, but still discussing the Colt. That revolver may not be stout enough for .38 +P, so do some research before you buy a bunch of ammo you cannot use.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Franklin County)

Don't trade it, or at least wait till I get an LCP then trade it to me A gift of a quality firearm from your father should be treasured and passed on to your youngun' one day, even if you never fire it.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

Please enlighten us..........
    my usual ccw is an M&P 9c. the LCP or det spec is for when i dont want to carry my usual. i recogize that a .38 special is pushing more power than the .380, but all things considered, i don't think the Det Spec power is that more superior to offset the concealability of the LCP when i want something i can wear to a fancy dinner downtown without spoiling the mood...

i guess, to simplify, i feel like the det special is right in the middle, but i don't need anything "in the middle" given how small the M&P 9c is. if i can't carry the 9c, odds are i wouldn't want the Det Spec either, so the LCP is practically more useful.

i think my big hangup is trying to decide if i keep the det special for its collector-cool cred (while they aren't rare by any means, they are getting harder to come by in shops) or whether i stay practical and get rid of it for a gun i might actually want to carry regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    That little Colt is a classic snubby. I wouldn't trade it for an LCP, I'd keep it (for one thing, it's a memento from your Father).
    So, if the Colt doesn't mean anything to you, go ahead and sell it. Like Steve wrote, you'll get raped if you trade it.
    The LCP's go for between $270 and $300 in south central PA (but you might have to wait for it). Save your bucks and you'll have enough for an LCP in a few months. And you'll still have the Colt which would make a great house gun.
    I do consider .380 a quite adequate round for self defense. But my LCP is used as a back up to a primary weapon which is either a .38 snubby or a 9 mm.

Slightly off topic, but still discussing the Colt. That revolver may not be stout enough for .38 +P, so do some research before you buy a bunch of ammo you cannot use.
    yeah. i wouldn't shoot +p out of it, at least not regularly or for practice. they aren't cut out for it.

thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    Don't trade it, or at least wait till I get an LCP then trade it to me A gift of a quality firearm from your father should be treasured and passed on to your youngun' one day, even if you never fire it.
    *sigh* i think you are right. my dad was like "dont worry about that" but he's just being my dad. i should keep the darn thing. it is a pretty gun, and prob worth a trip to the gunsmith. also, great gun for my wife to use to feel safe when i'm out of town (so simple).

(Franklin County)

If you're huntin' for a mousegun I'll trade my Tomcat .32 for that dick special
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Monroe County)

ARE YOU NUTS? I wouldnt trade it for 6 LCP.

Let a qualifieds Gunsmith look at your Daddy's Colt, it might be nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast