Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Pocket Gun?

(Westmoreland County)

Default 9mm Pocket Gun?

I have a S&W M&P 9mm Compact that I carry IWB. It is difficult to carry concealed all the time w/ a IWB carry. Is there a 9mm that is suitable for pocket carry? Thinking about a pocket carrying in the back pocket w/ the gun in a wallet type holster. The 9mm compact is way too big for this - it's mostly the thickness of it (1.2"). When it comes down to it, it's really not any more concealable (IWB) than a 1911. Also, I want to stay w/ 9mm. I know there are alot of .380 options, but am not interested in a .380.
    Last edited by MMH; December 6th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Default Re: 9mm Pocket Gun?

The Rorbaugh is probably the best suited to pocket carry, but it is $$expensive$$ and not rated for +P (not a big deal). The Kahr PM9 is probably the option most in financial reach of mere mortals, but read-up on them before you commit. I did and went with the MK9, which when I had it in hand really proved too heavy for pocket carry. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    The Rorbaugh is probably the best suited to pocket carry, but it is $$expensive$$ and not rated for +P (not a big deal). The Kahr PM9 is probably the option most in financial reach of mere mortals, but read-up on them before you commit. I did and went with the MK9, which when I had it in hand really proved too heavy for pocket carry. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    The PM9 is lighter than the MK, but IMHO, still too big to rear pocket carry. It might be okay for front pocket though. Check one out and decide for yourself.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

I have the M&P9c too and also find it hard to CC at times. I have a Ruger LCP, but have thought about selling it to get a 9mm so I don't have to stock another caliber. The choices seem to be:

Keltec, Kahr, and Sccy (or something like that). I will have to check on that last one. ReconLdr just bought one. So far I believe he likes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

My Smith and Wesson 642 rides wonderfully in a pocket holster in the front. It kind of looks like I have a PDA in my pocket yet I have worn it like that for a very long time and have had not been outed.

When you get down to weapons of such a small size autos start to lose their pros and the cons start to appear quite readily. In my opinion, a revolver like the Smith 642 gives the firepower, reliability and effectiveness that is superior to pocket 9s or .380s.

I do have a MK9 now and it is for my woman to carry. Revolvers are generally my cup of tea...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Clinton County)

I'm carrying a glock 26 in a pocket holster in my back right pants pocket. I'm very happy with it so far. Just have to find jeans or pants with a big enough back pocket

(Luzerne County)

I had a Khar PM9 for a while. It was a good,reliable pistol. Shot just about any type of ammo, even cheap Egyptian surplus. Did not like the striker type of trigger for safety reasons. Traded it in for a rhorbaugh. It is small enough to fit in any pocket and is double action. So far have run about 100 rounds of factory ammo, most Hydrashocks and no jams.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    My Smith and Wesson 642 rides wonderfully in a pocket holster in the front. It kind of looks like I have a PDA in my pocket yet I have worn it like that for a very long time and have had not been outed.

When you get down to weapons of such a small size autos start to lose their pros and the cons start to appear quite readily. In my opinion, a revolver like the Smith 642 gives the firepower, reliability and effectiveness that is superior to pocket 9s or .380s.

I do have a MK9 now and it is for my woman to carry. Revolvers are generally my cup of tea...
    I tend to agree with Steve here. If your heart is set on a 9, look at the Kel Tec PF9. The price is right, but you sacrifice a bit in the quality field. You may have to "play" with the gun as far as buffing, etc. to get it to be reliable. I have a Kel Tec P11, which has been fantastic as far as reliability, but it is a bit chunky for pocket carry - at least to me.

I just picked up a Ruger LCR (.38), which handles +P ammo. It is light enough, feels comfortable in my front pocket, and there are no issues as far as jams, etc...

I also have a Ruger LCP, which is fantastic for pocket carry, but it is a .380.

(Allegheny County)

You guys must have huge asses.

Pocket carry is such a foreign concept to me - I can't figure out how I could carry a P32 in my pocket let alone any 9mm.

That said, here's a newer one that I just learned about. Hoping to see one in person next weekend.
    Taurus 709 Slim
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol

Kel-Tec PF9 on the Left for comparison...

Here's a thread about it on another forum:
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=366541
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

I would have to agree the rohrbaugh is the best option but costs over a thousand and the springs are suppose to be replaced every two hundred rounds. Next down is the PM9 from KHAR or a PF9 from Keltec. Keltec is cheaper but suffers in the fit/finish area because of this. If it were going to be in my pocket and sat on I would not worry about it but that's me. These are also bigger than the rohrbaugh.

I am able to pocket carry a G26 because
    1) my pants are a size bigger to accomadate IWB carry.
    2) I only buy pants with large front pockets.

Of course able to and actually do are two separate things. I can and do pocket carry a G26 but most of the time if their is a gun in my front pocket it's a Keltec P3AT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast