Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Cowboy action shooting

Has anyone done cowboy action shooting.

I visited this place once during an open house shoot they were having.

http://www.nauticom.net/www/rjss/

Default Re: Cowboy action shooting

Looks to be a cool place, just wonder why they only take "Citizens" and not legal residents... Isnt that discrimination?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Looks to be a cool place, just wonder why they only take "Citizens" and not legal residents... Isnt that discrimination?
    Ya it did seem like a cool place with all the buildings and all. And every one looked like they were having fun.

Thats a good point you mentioned about the citizens thing I never noticed that until now.

Pre 9-11 my fiancee at the time (now my wife) was coming across to Canada, one day she had troubles getting across because of sewing equipment and machines she had... The border guard (RCMP) said Looks more like your moving then just visiting...

You know how Quilters are! We laughed about her sewing and needles and how she would invade Canada with her needles and have us surrender our fabrics!
    Since 9-11 I have seen many instances where as a Canadian i was looked at differently. This is just one of thos instances, An other club that is now closed (Bullseye) actually told me they would not have me as a member and I could not shoot in this Fine State. A letter to the ATF changed their minds about that. They where told they where not allowed to discriminate in any way towards a legal resident. Took 2 days for the managment there to "invite" me back. As long as i had an American Citizen there with me... I told them i was not rich enough for their club, price became an issue once we started looking around and found better, cheaper places to shoot. And that they where still discriminating.. They closed shortly after.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

Discriminating should be a thing of the past. I'm not sure what drives it. perhaps its just being scared or just plain ignorant. In either case hopefully they will come to realize the respect that every man or woman deserves.
    After all we are all from the same race. The human race.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Cowboy Action Shooting

Just found this forum, and thought I'd chime in on this topic. I participate in Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS), and it truly is a great shooting sport. We are goverened by our parent organization, the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), and the organization has been around since the late 1980's.
    http://sassnet.com/index.php

We shoot firearms similar to those used to tame the actual West during the 1800's, and of course the Silver Screen in the 20th Century. Our pistols, of course, are Single Action Revolver's (Colt, USFA, Ruger, Taurus, Uberti, etc.) and can be originals or reproductions. For Long guns, we use Lever Action Rifles (in pistol caliber's), such as the Winchester 1860, 1866, 1873, 1892, '94, the Marlin 1894, Henry Big Boy, Spencer, etc.. Pump action rifles, such as the Colt Lightning (or replica's) are also acceptable. For Shotguns, you have you choice of Double Barrel's (Hammered or Hammerless), the Winchester 1887 Lever Action, or the Winchester 1897 (or replica's of these shotguns).

Our matches usually consist of 5 to 6 stages, with 10 Pistol Rounds, 10 rifle Rounds, and 4+ Shotgun Rounds. Of course, we do shoot against a timer (and you would be amazed at how fast some folks can shoot these stages), and our target's are of the steel variety (both fixed and knockdown). We wear Western Style Holsters and Gunbelts, and of course proper Cowboy/Cowgirl Attire.

If you've never been to one of these matches, I extend an open invitation for you to attend a match in your local area, you'll have a great time, and meet some great people in the process (our shooting season starts in April for most clubs).

Sgt. John Campbell, SASS#58165

The Winchester 1887 made by Chiappa is great, watch the movies ;-)

http://www.dcbshooting.com/wincheste...ster_1887.html

SASS #62737

(Erie County)

It's always fun to watch the guys shooting the '87s at a match. Takes a lot of practice to get the load 2 technique down, but it is super fast when done properly.

As for me, I'll stick to my tried and true '97 for CAS, have got my technique down pretty good with it (I grab two from my belt, and load over the top).

That said, I still am looking to pick up a SxS Hammered sometime this winter (nothing says Cowboy like an external hammered double-barrel coach gun).
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

I would love to get into CAS. Actually, I'm slowly piecing my guns together. Need to pick up another 6 gun, carbine, and I'm searching for a coach gun.

The matches are super fun to watch, plus everyone I've met associated with the sport have been very friendly and willing to answer dumb newb questions.

(Erie County)

Lucas, hope to see you at some matches once we start shooting again (we're done with the season around here).

Now's the time to sit down at the Dillon, and start loading up next year's ammunition. Next weekend will be the time to tear the guns down for their end of season cleaning.

Can't wait for April to roll around again, and kick of a new season of Cowboy Action Shooting.
    Last edited by Kiski Cowboy; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment