Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Horasio Miller, anything new ?

I know I will be sorry for mentioning the Horasio Miller saga again. Every time this story is mentioned someone says "IT CAN'T HAPPEN". Well something happened. The facts speak for themselves. This guy is either the poster boy for open carry harassment or just a loony.

In any event I am curious how this will play out. Here are some of the facts I have gleaned from the paper and the web.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...d_at_hacc.html
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...faces_cha.html
    http://millerbandpromotion.tripod.com/main.html
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78234934

Horasio Miller , a 42 year old man who worked as a security guard for Wackenhut Security, made an off hand, ill advised comment to someone at a college were he was availing himself of the schools Wi-Fi network. He was not a student at the college. We was a neighbor living a few blocks away. In any event he made a comment about having guns in his car and how it would be a bad thing if they were stolen . That prompted an investigation by campus security and local police. They in turn contacted a local DA who claims to have had the man involuntarily commited, via the 302 process. The DA made a comment in the local paper, that because of the commitment, Mr Millers second ammendment rights where now gone forever. DA Chardo seemed to be gloating in the press. Just for the record firearms are "NOT' illegal on college campuses in Pennsylvania. It may be against college rules, but it is not against the law. It is also "NOT" illegal to openly carry a firearm in a holster while walking around your neighborhood.

The next article in the paper stated the police searched his apartment and interviewed his neighbors. The police reported Miller's apartment was so dirty that the township has deemed it unfit for human habitation, police said. "It was horrendous," Police Chief Rob Martin said. "The dirt, the filth, mold, mildew." The police also reported that there had been 22 calls to Mr Miller's building, some of the pertaining to him. The press also reported that Mr Miller had once pointed his gun at the landlord and walked around the neighborhood wearing a gun in a holster.

Police reported that he "may" have been using a neighbors phone line for free calls. When Mr Miller was quietly released from the psychiatric unit, he was promptly arrested and charged with simple assault by physical menace, theft of services and a wiretapping violation.

My take on the whole affair is that Mr Miller is one of those guys who thinks he is just a bit smarter than the police. He knew his rights and refused to back down. The full weight of "The System" came down on him. He has been vilified in the press, subjected to illegal searches and charged with the only things the 'System" could scrape up.

My question is this; is it common procedure to follow up every 302 committal with interviews of the neighbors, a search of the apartment, a search of the car, a search of the phone system. and having the health inspector check things out? If this happens on every 302 , it must be a very expensive proposition. Also what the heck is "simple assault by physical menace". Even if this guy is nuttier than a loon, isn't this overkill?

DA Chardo wasted no time letting the world know that Mr Miller had been committed. However when Mr Miller was released , DA Chardo cited confidentiality regs, about details of his release. Why were there no HIPPA worries when Mr. Miller was committed? Sounds like he got a clean bill of mental health, and the powers that be are downplaying it. In any event Mr Miller is still a guest of the Dauphine County Prison. http://www.dauphinc.org/dcplist/index.asp
    My guess is he wouldn't accept a plea bargain.

I think Mr Miller had the misfortune to express his second amendment thoughts, during the Philadelphia dog and pony show in Harrisburg about guns.The show was playing in the legislature about the same time.
    The System gave him a beat down
    Personally I think the whole affair stinks..........And I Hope Mr Miller has his day in court.

If anyone from the Harrisburg area has any insight, how about an update.
    Ruger P345 (45ACP)
    Colt Trooper (.357 Mag)
    CZ 40 P (40S&W)
    CZ 100 (9 MM)
    TZ 75 (9MM)
    Bersa Thunder 380 (.380)
    Ruger Mark II (.22)
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider (.22)
    (2)Phoenix Arms HP22 (.22)

Default Re: Horasio Miller, anything new ?

Quote Originally Posted by cz_40p View Post
    I know I will be sorry for mentioning the Horasio Miller saga again. Every time this story is mentioned someone says "IT CAN'T HAPPEN". Well something happened. The facts speak for themselves. This guy is either the poster boy for open carry harassment or just a loony.

In any event I am curious how this will play out. Here are some of the facts I have gleaned from the paper and the web.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...d_at_hacc.html
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...faces_cha.html
    http://millerbandpromotion.tripod.com/main.html
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78234934

Horasio Miller , a 42 year old man who worked as a security guard for Wackenhut Security, made an off hand, ill advised comment to someone at a college were he was availing himself of the schools Wi-Fi network. He was not a student at the college. We was a neighbor living a few blocks away. In any event he made a comment about having guns in his car and how it would be a bad thing if they were stolen . That prompted an investigation by campus security and local police. They in turn contacted a local DA who claims to have had the man involuntarily commited, via the 302 process. The DA made a comment in the local paper, that because of the commitment, Mr Millers second ammendment rights where now gone forever. DA Chardo seemed to be gloating in the press. Just for the record firearms are "NOT' illegal on college campuses in Pennsylvania. It may be against college rules, but it is not against the law. It is also "NOT" illegal to openly carry a firearm in a holster while walking around your neighborhood.

The next article in the paper stated the police searched his apartment and interviewed his neighbors. The police reported Miller's apartment was so dirty that the township has deemed it unfit for human habitation, police said. "It was horrendous," Police Chief Rob Martin said. "The dirt, the filth, mold, mildew." The police also reported that there had been 22 calls to Mr Miller's building, some of the pertaining to him. The press also reported that Mr Miller had once pointed his gun at the landlord and walked around the neighborhood wearing a gun in a holster.

Police reported that he "may" have been using a neighbors phone line for free calls. When Mr Miller was quietly released from the psychiatric unit, he was promptly arrested and charged with simple assault by physical menace, theft of services and a wiretapping violation.

My take on the whole affair is that Mr Miller is one of those guys who thinks he is just a bit smarter than the police. He knew his rights and refused to back down. The full weight of "The System" came down on him. He has been vilified in the press, subjected to illegal searches and charged with the only things the 'System" could scrape up.

My question is this; is it common procedure to follow up every 302 committal with interviews of the neighbors, a search of the apartment, a search of the car, a search of the phone system. and having the health inspector check things out? If this happens on every 302 , it must be a very expensive proposition. Also what the heck is "simple assault by physical menace". Even if this guy is nuttier than a loon, isn't this overkill?

DA Chardo wasted no time letting the world know that Mr Miller had been committed. However when Mr Miller was released , DA Chardo cited confidentiality regs, about details of his release. Why were there no HIPPA worries when Mr. Miller was committed? Sounds like he got a clean bill of mental health, and the powers that be are downplaying it. In any event Mr Miller is still a guest of the Dauphine County Prison. http://www.dauphinc.org/dcplist/index.asp
    My guess is he wouldn't accept a plea bargain.

I think Mr Miller had the misfortune to express his second amendment thoughts, during the Philadelphia dog and pony show in Harrisburg about guns.The show was playing in the legislature about the same time.
    The System gave him a beat down
    Personally I think the whole affair stinks..........And I Hope Mr Miller has his day in court.

If anyone from the Harrisburg area has any insight, how about an update.
    (Horasio Miller has been released after 8 1/2 Month in jail. since February and March.
    Since then has not work a steady job since.
    He know lives in NJ in a shit of a job making hardly any money about to be put out on the streets because
    he can't pay the rent on time and behind on rent in the tune of almost $3,000 Dollars.)
    Last edited by HMiller153; March 26th, 2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Add somthing to it.

(Allegheny County)

Well I guess that answers THAT 8 year old question.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well I guess that answers THAT 8 year old question.
    Seems like something we need to follow up on. I am glad to see him here.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

If you would like to ask any question just ask Since I am Horasio Miller.
    so that means I can answer any question.

(Chester County)

So were you jailed unfairly for legally carrying a gun? I don't understand the issues here. Were you 302'd due to your statement?

Yes that was right.
    But the Lady that told them that did not tell the whole story though.