Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    North of Jim Thorpe, Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)

Default Hunting deer in rain or snow

How about hunting deer in the rain or snow. Are they moving about? Or do they hunker down?

Default Re: Hunting deer in rain or snow

Rain sucks, they bed tight...

Snow, not so bad, they tend to move with snow..

(Lancaster County)

ill be going monday , hope the snow sticks till then. they seem to move in the snow and they are easier to see.
    No longer posting

(Lebanon County)

I wa out there today in this mess! Didn't see a thing. After awhile you couldn't even see more than 20 yds!.

Snow's a good thing when the ground is all white, when its just a dusting those deer will blend in like nobody's business! This is a good snow its sticking to everything, now if it only hangs around til Monday the woods will be alive with activity. Hunt the far reaches, away from the parking lots if your on public land! You'll need to walk to find them, cause they are staying away from the roads and trails right now!

(Somerset County)

It really depends on how heavy the precipitation is. A heavy rain will usually cause them to hole up somewhere, a light rain doesn't seem to bother them. Same with snow, but if it's heavy, then you can't see very well as already mentioned.

I remember a comment by John Wooters about hunting in the rain. He felt the best reason to be hunting in the rain was because that way, you were out there when it quit. His observations over the years indicated that deer move as soon as the weather lets up.

(Fayette County)

The first day in the pouring rain I had two doe move through the field I was watching. I shot the second one at 7:45, neither one was pushed. In fact the one I shot stopped in the only thick patch to take a poop before I shot it, lol.

I won't archery hunt in the rain because the risk to lose the blood trail is too great.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Chester County)

Really the rain influences the hunters to an extent alot more than the deer. I know the deer bed down in the rain, but hunters these days won't even venture out. Forget stand hunting on rainy days, you'll die of boredom. I actully like hunting on days when hunters are out and about because there's always a hunter or two moving the deer. On rainy days unless you yourself walk around you wont' see a blessed thing.

You can't kill deer unless you're in the woods. I've seen a lot of deer in the rain as long as it's not a downpour. For whatever reason I think buck seem to move around more than doe when it's really crappy out. Plus on opening day of rifle if it's raining most guys will head for the truck early and possibly push deer to you if you stick it out. I killed my biggest buck right after a whiteout snowstorm. Everyone headed for the trucks and he walked right out of an area where a lot of hunters were earlier. It went from one of my worst days hunting to the best in a matter of minutes. It's amazing how quickly you forget about how bad the weather is when a nice buck walks up to you.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

A drive we did yesterday produced six deer, it was snowing pretty good at the time. Light rain is helpful, it masks some of the noise you make while moving through the bush.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.