Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default It could be worse !

I know that you PA folks have issues with you LTCF, and you should, but here is what I have been going through just to renew my OH CHL.

So I finally got to the Court House during business hours ( 24th ) and paid for my renewal. I was then handed a small slip of paper, told to wait one week, and go to the Sheriff's Office during one of the times listed on the slip of paper. The times listed are, 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

I arrived at the Sheriff's Office at 10:00 a.m. this morning, and was shown to a waiting area where three other gentlemen were already seated. Two of the others were called, in turn. Then at 10:40 a.m. the deputy doing the processing came out, and told the two of us that remained, that we would have to leave because they quit at 11:00 a.m. We were told to come back when we could make one of the other times listed, and that he had turned away a lot more than two of us in the past.

In Columbiana County, You go to the Sheriff's office located in the Court House, to fill out,and pay for renewal. You then have to wait one week from that date, to go the Sheriff's office located in the County Jail,( which is about five miles away from Court house), to get fingerprinted. They will then call you after one week of the date of fingerprinting, to come and get your CHL.

I felt especially bad for the other fella that was told to leave, because all he needed was to get his picture taken, and handed the card. I was there for the printing stage, but our County Sheriff is clearly not making it easy for CHL renewals, or the first timer.

If you camp out over night, for the CHL "concert tickets", and are first in line, your best bet is,three trips, three weeks.

It is first come, first serve, within the given hours. Had I been the only one there at 10:00 a.m. I would have been printed. Conversely, had I been the twentieth person there, at 8:00 a.m. I would have been turned away after a three hour wait.

As a side note, four years ago, I sent some money, and a copy of my OH CHL to PA, and recieved my PA LTCF in one week. Go figure.
    Will I really care if LE later catch the guy who killed me ?

Default Re: It could be worse !

Could be worse, you could live in NJ.
    All gave some and some gave all. Come home safe, brave warriors.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NJEMTGUY3007 View Post
    Could be worse, you could live in NJ.
    Or Maryland.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    Or Maryland.....
    NJ is far worse.

(Allegheny County)

You left out the part where you had to get on all fours and bark like a dog!
    "A Man's Just Got To Know His Own Limitations"

Sure am glad I got my butt out of that state 30+ years ago, my sister is still stuck there though.

Is this the same as what happens in the larger cities? I hadn't heard anything from my sister about this nonsense, she lives in Akron.

(Jefferson County)

Just move to Jefferson County, PA...

They had my renewed LTCF NIC'd, put in the computer, and printed out before I was done filling out the application. ..No waits, no lines, no fingerprints, no dog & pony show, no jumping through hoops of fire, no goofy pamphlets - just a warm welcome, pleasant conversation, and smiles.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...y-renewal.html

Did I mention that our Sheriff is also a gun dealer? lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

+1 on the Zoo Joisey, I got yelled at because I didn't have the purchase certificate to even LOOK at a rifle out of the gun rack at Dicks.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt 10/22 View Post
    I know that you PA folks have issues with you LTCF, and you should, but here is what I have been going through just to renew my OH CHL.
    I wonder how this post would begin on VTFOA.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    I wonder how this post would begin on VTFOA.

"There was this time in band camp....."
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!