Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Got my first deer!

My family has always hunted but I never wanted or had the chance to go out with them deer hunting until this year. I've wanted to go out the past few years but have been away at college and wasn't going to come home weekends to hunt. The area we've been going has been pretty slow this season, but finally saw one today.

I was walking through to find a spot to sit when a small buck (realized it was a button buck later) ran over the hill 20 yards from me. Lined up my shot and made sure I was clear behind in its direction and took the shot from about 30-35 yards. The deer ran a short distance and then seemed to be stumbling as I lost it over a hill, so I stayed for 15-20 minutes before we set out to find it.

No blood or hair at all where I shot it, but finally found the deer around 100 yards away. I was a little worried I might have missed after not seeing a blood trail right away, but I was pretty sure I landed a solid shot. The bullet went through the heart and lungs and exited through the shoulder. After seeing the damage done to the shoulder I have no clue how it managed to run at all let alone that distance.

I was using an old 30-06 that belongs to my dad. I'd never used it before the season, but after seeing how well it worked today I love it.
    Not sure on the weight of the deer, but the small ones are more delicious so I'm happy!

Attached Images Attached Images

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Got my first deer!

Congratulations! i have yet to get my first deer of the season. send me up some deer jerky! J/K

(Monroe County)

Congratulations, nice doe! I've been out two days in a row and havent seen a single deer, just one squirrel! Where did you snag that little sucker if you don't mind revealing?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Congrats.....

(Somerset County)

Way to go! Enjoy the eating.

Dale

Thanks. The WMU I was hunting in is 3D... Lehman township in Pike County. My family has been hunting in the National Park right near the corner of Broadhead and Milford Road for 9 years or so, and this was the 18th we've taken out of there.
    We went back out for the afternoon, didn't see anything except snow. There have been some bigger bucks wandering through the area (on the side of the road that isn't parkland unfortunately) so hopefully we can get some more deer before the end of the season.