Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default S&W 686 revolvers spontaneously discharge?

I use my Smith & Wesson 686 revolver for home defense, never had a single problem with it whatsoever. I shared that info with a guy who was shooting next to me at the range this past Thursday, and he warned me against keeping it loaded, saying that he'd heard tale of the gun going off all by its lonesome.

What I'm trying to find out from those of you far more familiar with revolvers and firearms in general than I am (very new to the hobby personally) whether you've ever heard of this happening. I've been unable on my own to locate a single story confirming this dubious info, but nonetheless am now worried about keeping my gun loaded.

(York County)

Default Re: S&W 686 revolvers spontaneously discharge?

I have never heard any reliable stories of a stock firearm going off spontaneously.
    I have heard firearms with trigger jobs (very light triggers) going off unexpectedly (due to the "hair" trigger), but there was a finger on the trigger at the time.
    I suppose a firearm with a lightened trigger could, in theory, fire if it was dropped (inertia upsetting the trigger mechanism). I have read a report of a 1911 going off (although cocked and locked) when in the same room as an MRI machine (the firing pin was pulled forward by the magnetic field).

My thinking is the guy was BS'ing you. That isn't uncommon...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Bucks County)

Total B.S. Those revolvers are great. I have 2, and never had a problem. Can't believe some of the crap people will believe.

I see we're in the same borough. Member of FTRPA?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I have never heard any reliable stories of a stock firearm going off spontaneously.
    I have heard firearms with trigger jobs (very light triggers) going off unexpectedly (due to the "hair" trigger), but there was a finger on the trigger at the time.
    I suppose a firearm with a lightened trigger could, in theory, fire if it was dropped (inertia upsetting the trigger mechanism). I have read a report of a 1911 going off (although cocked and locked) when in the same room as an MRI machine (the firing pin was pulled forward by the magnetic field).

Ignore this supposition involving a revolver with a lightened trigger discharging when dropped, it does not apply to the Smith L frame (686, 386, 586 family of revolvers). Unless the trigger is pulled to the most rearward position the Smith and Wesson L frame revolver will not fire (unless there is some serious mechanical problem with it, which I doubt). The older model smiths had a firing pin staked onto the hammer, the hammer was rebounded (prevented from moving forward into the firing position) unless the trigger was pulled fully rearward. The newer Smith revolvers have a frame mounted firing pin which is protected by a rebound device which prevents the hammer from striking it unless the trigger is pulled fully rearward.

In short, the smith and wesson double action revolver is safe and effective for defense. The revolver will not "go off" without the trigger being pulled. I have carried smith and wesson revolvers for years, and the only time they have ever fired is when I pulled the trigger.

AS for that strange "report" about a 1911 "going off" when in an MRI room; Bullshit. If the pistol is cocked and locked there is no mechanical way the firing pin could first overcome the inertia required to reach the primer of a live cartridge. A very large magnet "pulling" the firing pin would never exert enough force to do so. In fact, if there was a magnetic field that large the pistol would fly across the room and slam itself into said magnet wayyy before the firing pin could come close to discharging the primer. Bullshit.

To the OP: Modern firearms in good working order do not "go off" no matter what some guy says at the range. Next time you hear a tall tale like this ask for data, a case study, a litigation citation (this is America after all, everyone sues when possible) or other evidence of such a claim. A few quick questions like that and you will hear "oh, it was a friend of a friend." Which is typical bullshit, if you push further and get insistent, even ask for a phone number you will see that this is bullshit.

To Roy Jackson, let us stick to the plausible. Can you provide all of us here with a link to the report or the name of the report author? Where did it take place, who wrote the report, was litigation involved??? I am labeling it bullshit unless you can provide data to prove me wrong.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Carbon County)

I have carried my 686 deer hunting for 18 years now and have never had it fire unless I pulled trigger. I have to agree with everybody else smells like BS.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the feedback. As I said, I'm new to this, and as a result tend to put a great deal more credence into things I hear from seemingly more senior gun owners however far out they might sound. That said, why would someone go to the trouble of spouting such nonsense? I can't imagine myself passing on such a story to someone without having at least secondhand knowledge of it actually happening.

Same for Rugers, at east the GP100 and SP101. They use a "Transfer Bar" that physically prevents the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

(Indiana County)

What has he seen, a zombie 686?
    Gets up at night, sprouts legs and creates havoc upon the city by spontaneously firing at will.

If you ever see that guy again, please ask him to consider professional help, right before slowly backing away from him and his loaded firearm.

(Delaware County)

An uncocked revolver cannot discharge without an input of energy period. It is an absolute impossibility.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    To Roy Jackson, let us stick to the plausible. Can you provide all of us here with a link to the report or the name of the report author? Where did it take place, who wrote the report, was litigation involved??? I am labeling it bullshit unless you can provide data to prove me wrong.
    Are you asking about the 1911 incident? If that's the case, it was either linked here, or on The High Road (been several months). Here's a link:
    http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092.

If you're asking about my comment stating theoretically a firearm could fire if dropped...that was generic (not about the 686 in particular). Firearms didn't always have transfer bars.

Don't forget my last statement of my post:
    Last edited by RoyJackson; December 5th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast