Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Forum Changes: Law & Politics Section is now firearm-related only

I agree with trying to cut down on the noise, but the diversity of political opinion is why I come here and not some place like HuffingtonPost or LGF.

I think the major sources of noise are:

• People chiming in with "I agree"
    • Hyuck hyuck... agree
    • Here's something to get you pissed up!
    • Let me express my outrage and curse some villain.

There is value to having people encounter people unlike themselves and debate with them, and to do it in a community small enough where you will encounter the person in real-life at a shoot or simply in another thread. Optimistically, it's the kind of civility in politics that our country needs.

Perhaps people could rate threads more often (black dots instead of yellow stars for low ratings) or tag them with labels so people know what to avoid or when thread are clearly going off topic.

The design of online communities is a complicated balance. Pennsylvania has a unique political culture and this website embodies it.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Forum Changes: Law & Politics Section is now firearm-related only

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I know this is your site, but I am afraid that if we become too one dimensional we risk loosing many members who are active politically across the spectrum. I can understand the need to keep the firearm info separate and pure, but as I said the more politically active any of us are the more likely we are to be interested in discussing more than just the political issues surrounding firearms.
    I agree FWIW.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456