Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Binoculars and eyeglasses

Is it me or does anyone else have trouble seeing through their binoculars while wearing their glasses?? Do they make binoculars to fit over glasses? I can see through mine while wearing my glasses but I only get a small field of vision. Im fine if I take them off and look through the binoculars. I just hate having to take my glasses on and off each time.
    No longer posting

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Binoculars and eyeglasses

Same problem here. I just move them under my glasses and my glasses fall back over my eyes after.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Clearfield County)

I have a Leupold set that has eye cups that roll down, then you butt them up flush against your glasses and get the full field of view. I thought it was a pretty clever design.

I've had them for about 20-25 years, so I don't know if they are still available.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Franklin County)

The problem is the distance between your eyes and the binocular lenses, so even if the binoculars were designed to accept the shape of your glasses, you'd still have the same problem because there would still be space between your eyes and eyeglass lenses.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith75 View Post
    I have a Leupold set that has eye cups that roll down, then you butt them up flush against your glasses and get the full field of view. I thought it was a pretty clever design.

I've had them for about 20-25 years, so I don't know if they are still available.
    mine have the eye cups and even rolled down i have a hard time. im going to have to get a nerd strap or something for my glasses so i can hang them around my neck.
    No longer posting

(Northampton County)

This bugs me too. It's all about what is called "eye relief".

I went here...http://www.opticsplanet.com/ and found this:

EYE RELIEF
    Q.What is eye relief in a binocular?
    A.Eye relief is the maximum distance your eye can be from the eyepiece and still see the entire field of view. If your eye is farther back than this distance, you will see a reduced field of view. Eye relief is of primary concern for people who wear eyeglasses when they look through a binocular because their glasses prevent their eyes from getting close to the eyepieces.

Q.How much eye relief is needed if you wear eyeglasses when looking through a binocular?
    A.If you have fairly thin plastic lenses in your eyeglasses and a small face, you may be able to get by with as little as 13mm, though the minimum is generally regarded to be 14 or 15mm. If you have eyeglasses with thick glass lenses, you should look for a model with more eye relief, say in the 17-20mm range.

Q.Should the eyecups on a binocular be in the "up" position or "down" position when using eyeglasses with a binocular?
    A.Put the eyecups in the "down" position when wearing eyeglasses and in the "up" position when not wearing eyeglasses. Older style binoculars have rubber fold down eyecups, but most modern binoculars have "twist up" or "pull up" style eyecups.

Hope this might help yins a lil'.

Think I'll ask Santa for a new Binocular. =)

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.