Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Question 17 yr old OC a handgun while hunting?

Can a 17 yr old OC a revolver while hunting with a shotgun/rifle? A 17yr old can't normally carry a handgun, but a 17 year old can hunt with a handgun. The PA Crimes Code for handgun possession while hunting refers you to the PA Game codes, but the Game Code is unclear. My local Game Commission office thinks this is a gray area. It seems, therefore, to be legal by default, but they suggested that the handgun be one legal for hunting (even if not really hunting with it at that moment), i.e., a center fire revolver. Any thoughts or experiences?

(Fayette County)

Default Re: 17 yr old OC a handgun while hunting?

I am just talking out my arse here (I didn't look it up), but I am pretty sure you would need a sportsmen's permit if you don't have an LTCF and plan to carry a pistol openly while hunting, and you need to be 18 to apply for that.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sharontony View Post
    Can a 17 yr old OC a revolver while hunting with a shotgun/rifle? A 17yr old can't normally carry a handgun, but a 17 year old can hunt with a handgun. The PA Crimes Code for handgun possession while hunting refers you to the PA Game codes, but the Game Code is unclear. My local Game Commission office thinks this is a gray area. It seems, therefore, to be legal by default, but they suggested that the handgun be one legal for hunting (even if not really hunting with it at that moment), i.e., a center fire revolver. Any thoughts or experiences?
    I think it's quite clear, when one looks at all the pieces of this question.

Let's identify the 3 basic questions you are asking:
    a) Minor in possession of handgun
    b) minor hunting with handgun
    c) Minor carrying handgun not authorized to take game during current season.

a) is quite clear.
    18Pa.C.S.6110.1(b)(2)
    Makes the exception that minors can posess handgun for purposes of hunting. As so long as the hunting is in accordance with the hunting regs.
    The hunting regs require the adult be in sight of and have control of the minor while hunting. (58Pa.§141.8a) Game regs also specify what type of handguns are legal to hunt with, etc.

b) There is nothing I can find in the game laws specific to minors carrying handguns so we will follow all the regs on handguns equally for adults and minors.

c) Title 34 SS2525 provides an exception for folks to carry non-sporting handgun (for season in question) for self defense purposes. Such as a semi-auto or any handgun during archery, etc. BUT only if the person has a LTCF. Since a minor can not get an LTCF carrying a handgun not legal for taking game during given season for self defense while hunting by a minor is not permitted .
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; December 4th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    I am just talking out my arse here (I didn't look it up), but I am pretty sure you would need a sportsmen's permit if you don't have an LTCF and plan to carry a pistol openly while hunting, and you need to be 18 to apply for that.

No, I can find no requirement for SP/LTCF during hunting if gun is carried openly.
    SP/LTCF only needed to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I think it's quite clear, when one looks at all the pieces of this question.

Let's identify the 3 basic questions you are asking:
    a) Minor in possession of handgun
    b) minor hunting with handgun
    c) Minor carrying handgun not authorized to take game during current season.

a) is quite clear.
    18Pa.C.S.6110.1(b)(2)
    Makes the exception that minors can posess handgun for purposes of hunting. As so long as the hunting is in accordance with the hunting regs.
    The hunting regs require the adult be in sight of and have control of the minor while hunting. (58Pa.§141.8a) Game regs also specify what type of handguns are legal to hunt with, etc.

b) There is nothing I can find in the game laws specific to minors carrying handguns so we will follow all the regs on handguns equally for adults and minors.

c) Title 34 SS2525 provides an exception for folks to carry non-sporting handgun (for season in question) for self defense purposes. Such as a semi-auto or any handgun during archery, etc. BUT only if the person has a LTCF. Since a minor can not get an LTCF carrying a handgun not legal for taking game during given season for self defense while hunting by a minor is not permitted .
    Thanks to PA Patriot for the detailed response. You seem to validate the "gray area" as the Game Commission told me. It would seem that a 17 yr old, as long as following typical Game Regs (e.g., under adult supervision) would be able to OC an approved hunting handgun while hunting, as long as the 17 yr old stated that it was being carried for hunting purposes, perhaps as a BUG for a hunting rilfe/shotgun. Obviously, it would make a good self-defense gun, but the 17 yr old couldn't say that.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sharontony View Post
    Thanks to PA Patriot for the detailed response. You seem to validate the "gray area" as the Game Commission told me. It would seem that a 17 yr old, as long as following typical Game Regs (e.g., under adult supervision) would be able to OC an approved hunting handgun while hunting, as long as the 17 yr old stated that it was being carried for hunting purposes, perhaps as a BUG for a hunting rilfe/shotgun. Obviously, it would make a good self-defense gun, but the 17 yr old couldn't say that.
    It's not really gray to me. There are prohibitions in law and there are some exceptions to those prohibitions.
    When I read the applicable law(s), I found what I posted, as it pertains to 17 year old hunting with a handgun.

The prohibitions and exceptions leave us with the following:

1) A 17 year old can NOT carry a handgun for self defense while hunting no matter what type of handgun it is.

2) A 17yr old can carry a hunting legal handgun, for the purpose of hunting, while supervised by an adult.

So would carrying a revolver during deer season, while supervised, in addition to a rifle be a gray area?
    I say no. As long as the gun is for hunting. There is no prohibition on carrying more than one legal device for taking game.
    So given the above, he could carry two rifles, a centerfire revolver, a bow, a muzzleloader all at the same time if was able

The only real issue is "self defense".
    The handgun is for hunting, or else you run afoul of the law the way I'm reading it.

Just my interpretation.

Remember Meleanie

(Washington County)

Title 34

Deals with age restrictions. A 17 year old can hunt by himself.

Use firearms of any kind or a bow and arrow for the purpose of hunting any game or wildlife or attempting to take or kill any game or wildlife by hunting or trapping if under 12 years of age or when hunting or trapping any game or wildlife or attempting to hunt or trap any game or wildlife if between 12 and 14 years of age, unless accompanied by a parent or a person 18 years of age or older serving in loco parentis or as guardian or some other family member 18 years of age or older or when hunting if between 14 and 16 years of age, unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older. For the purpose of this paragraph "accompany" means close enough that verbal instructions and guidance can be easily understood. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to section 2363 (relating to trapping exception for certain persons).
    Last edited by R.W.J; December 4th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    No, I can find no requirement for SP/LTCF during hunting if gun is carried openly.
    SP/LTCF only needed to carry concealed or in a vehicle.
    Then why do we even need to purchase the SP? Not arguing, just honestly curious.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    Title 34

Deals with age restrictions. A 17 year old can hunt by himself.

Use firearms of any kind or a bow and arrow for the purpose of hunting any game or wildlife or attempting to take or kill any game or wildlife by hunting or trapping if under 12 years of age or when hunting or trapping any game or wildlife or attempting to hunt or trap any game or wildlife if between 12 and 14 years of age, unless accompanied by a parent or a person 18 years of age or older serving in loco parentis or as guardian or some other family member 18 years of age or older or when hunting if between 14 and 16 years of age, unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older. For the purpose of this paragraph "accompany" means close enough that verbal instructions and guidance can be easily understood. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to section 2363 (relating to trapping exception for certain persons).
    Thanks! From your WCO user name, I assume you are a current or former WCO. Can you answer the original question, can a 17 year old open carry a handgun while hunting, even though normally a 17 year old would not be able to in other circumstances? If so, does it have to be for hunting purposes only, as opposed to self defence in the wilderness (from four-legged and two-legged predators)? If the answer is hunting purposes only, I guess the logical follow on would be does it have to be a handgun that is approved for hunting (which would make sense and, since this seems to be a gray area, sounds like it would be the safest bet)?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    Then why do we even need to purchase the SP? Not arguing, just honestly curious.
    The SP is needed for people who do not have a LTCF, or who cannot obtained a LTCF (not yet 21), in order to transport the handgun, or to carry it concealed while hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast