Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Deer hunting questions.

I haven't hunted deer since I was kid and I was planning on starting again this year, but it just never happened. I'm determined that I'm going to start again next rifle reason, though.

I have a few questions for the hunting gurus here.

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points?

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land?

3. What is the minimum bullet diameter for deer in PA?

Default Re: Deer hunting questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I haven't hunted deer since I was kid and I was planning on starting again this year, but it just never happened. I'm determined that I'm going to start again next rifle reason, though.

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points?

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land?

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=176550

(Jefferson County)

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points? It depends on the area of the state.

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land? Go to state forest or game lands, then look around. Expect others to be in the prime spots so pick several.

3. What is the minimum bullet diameter for deer in PA? None for rifle, it just has to be centerfire. But be considerate and choose wisely. I prefer buffalo/elephant gun .458" diameter..

In red above..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Antlerless is strictly doe or button buck. If you can see small spikes let it go to grow. Most of the state is 3 points per side.....

Use 6mm on up for deer.....I prefer .30 caliber.

(Chester County)

1. In most of the state, as long as the buck has three points on one side(parts of western Pa require 4 on one side) its legal. Even if it only has one antler, as long as it has at least 3 points as far as I"m aware, its still legal. Antlerless is defined as a doe, or a buck with antler less than 1 in long, AKA button buck.

2. On public land, buy a topographical map of the area, then try to find a spot away from trails parking lots, wide spots in the road, etc. or in other words, way off the beaten path. Only problem then is you may have to move to see deer, or have a partner who can drive while you stand, and vice versa.

3. No minimum, but must be centerfire. .223 caliber guns have and are used successfully on deer, so don't believe you need 6mm and up as was suggested. Know your gun and know its limitations.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    1. In most of the state, as long as the buck has three points on one side(parts of western Pa require 4 on one side) its legal. Even if it only has one antler, as long as it has at least 3 points as far as I"m aware, its still legal. Antlerless is defined as a doe, or a buck with antler less than 1 in long, AKA button buck.

2. On public land, buy a topographical map of the area, then try to find a spot away from trails parking lots, wide spots in the road, etc. or in other words, way off the beaten path. Only problem then is you may have to move to see deer, or have a partner who can drive while you stand, and vice versa.

3. No minimum, but must be centerfire. .223 caliber guns have and are used successfully on deer, so don't believe you need 6mm and up as was suggested. Know your gun and know its limitations.
    Anterless is under 3" long antlers same as it was b/4 the AR. You can't shoot a spike over 3" or a 'Y' buck unless you are a junior hunter/mentored huter.