Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ive narrowed down my choices...sorta

ok so in my last thread i wanted a 1911 and then i shot one, the recoil was hard to deal with at first but i got used to it after a few rounds. After i though about it, i felt that the ammo was too expensive for my financial situation at the moment (college student), and i also shot a glock 23 i believe (it was the .40 compact model) and a usp 9mm. So i decided that i would end up with a 9mm for my first pistol. Now i guess comes the hard part, choosing the gun.

I think my choices are usp 9, glock 17, xd 9, sig 226, and the S&W M&P9. I did like the usp when i shot it but it felt too much like a toy to me, and i did not like the trigger on the glock at all, but i figure that is something that i could become used to, and remember im new to shooting really so i cant say i have too much of any kind of preference. im not too sure about the grip safety on the xd9 but again i could get used to it. which would be the best quality pistol out of these choices? i mean i feel that cheaper is better for me at this point but i would be willing to spend up to $800. also i would not be carrying this gun at all, right now im just concerned with taking it to the range. thanks for reading my novel!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ive narrowed down my choices...sorta

i forgot to mention that a used gun isnt out of the picture.

(Franklin County)

See if you can also find a used Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm. Mine ran Flawless. I just recently sold it.

(Monroe County)

I own a G26 G17 M&P9 and an M&P pro series. I prefer the stock glock trigger to the M&P9 trigger, but love the trigger on my pro series. I approve of either the G17 or the M&P. I personally like the ergonomics and grip angle of the M&P series guns a little bit better. On the other hand every one needs to own at least glock. Also, my M&Ps are for competition, but my G26 is what i trust my life to for what its worth.

Edit: If your going for a gun thats gust for range use and youre on a budget i would stick with 9mm over the .40.

(Philadelphia County)

i'd recommend the glock 17 or sig 226. especially if you want to look for something used... glocks can pretty much run forever.

although, sig's quality control has gone down a bit, over the years... but if you can find an older one in good condition, that might be a better choice than a new one, for the money.

$750, give or take a few $, will get you a new Sig P226. That's within your stated price range. Just my opinion, but I think it's the best gun out of the ones you mentioned. Nuthin' wrong with a Glock either. You should be able to find a new G17 or 19 for < $450. ($350 will buy alot of ammo & a quality holster.)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

i was also leaning against the glock due to everyone having one, but i feel i just need to shoot my buddy's more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripplygoose View Post
    i was also leaning against the glock due to everyone having one, but i feel i just need to shoot my buddy's more.
    I have 2 Glocks. A 23 & a 30 & I like them both. Never had a problem with either of them. Both are dependable & easy to conceal. The G19 would be a more compact than the 17, if you're interested in cc.

My Sig P220 is more expensive, heavier, a few more parts to clean, etc, but it's my favorite gun. (This month!).
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

Since size isn't an issue because you won't be CCing it (or so you tell yourself that - that is how it starts), you may want to consider the Beretta 92FS (which despite its size, I do carry). Extremely reliable gun. The only complaints I'd say are that the grips are kind of large and the gun isn't nearly as accurate as a lot of other target guns...but show me a 9mm that is out of the box.

Another gun to consider is the Browning High Power or one of its clones. My friend has a High Power clone that he picked up for 300$ new (I think CDNN was blowing them out a few years back as they were Iraq contract weapons and then the whole war started). Another very reliable gun that is accurate enough for plinking at the range.

If you are just using the gun to put holes in paper, I seriously recommend spending money on a nice bull barrel .22 ruger pistol. The ammo is cheaper which means you can shoot more. And the lack of recoil will allow you to trace problems in your shooting while ruling out the effects of recoil.

For what it is worth, my .22 is my favorite gun to shoot.

-Zach

(York County)

I have the sig 226 in 40 cal, my first handgun, bought used. It is by far, still, my favorite handgun. I have a glock, couple taurus, and a sig 239.

If concealed carry in summer, I like my sig 239, or the taurus millenium, both in 9mm. Winter time, or cooler nights with a jacket, I like the sig 226.

I do like the glocks, but I don't like DAO with no external hammer, unless there is a safety, so it ends up staying locked in the safe...just a personal preference.

The taurus feels like a piece of junk when shooting, but it is very reliable, and I find it to be very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast