Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Public Land

Default Public Land

Let's here your public land hunting success stories. I get tired of hearing that there are "NO DEER" on land open to the public. I have had great luck on public lands over the last ten years of hunting them. I have hunted some great spots in "farm country" and also in the "big woods" like the Allegheny National Forest. My hunting partner killed a 7 point this morning, and I took the largest doe of my hunting career, both in the national forest. (Elk County) Another friend had the pleasure of watching his daughter take her first ever deer. SGL 86 in Warren County. Another buddy shot a decent 8 point, Erie National Wildlife Refuge, Crawford County.
    Jules

(York County)

Default Re: Public Land

I don't hunt public land for deer and I don't know about other parts of the state but around here seems to be the problem with public land is not "NO DEER" but rather " TOO MANY DAMN HUNTERS". I love driving past some areas where you can see it speckled with orange and thinking, "I wonder if that guy knows how many other guys are sitting right near him?" I think in some places the deer are plentiful but the hunters have them outnumbered...

I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting public land but it does have its bad points along with the good ones.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

^^^^^^^ What he said.^^^^^^^^^^

If you get close to a populace area, public land is down right dangerous....

It's all about scouting and not taking the easiest rd to the closest stump.
    There is some public land I won't hunt early season because they're littered with logging roads that are open for travel. You can't walk a mile without hitting another rd. Other than that i've hunted most of my life on public land and have tagged some very nice doe and buck.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

^^^^^^AHEM^^^^^^^^

Spent the day at SGL 83 and there were more people than deer and squirell together
    No longer posting

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    ^^^^^^AHEM^^^^^^^^

Spent the day at SGL 83 and there were more people than deer and squirell together

768 acres near the most populace area of the state. Why were you surprised?

The issue is your sentiment (although undoubtedly true in your case) runs through the hunting community everywhere. I have 9000+ acres in one of the most rural parts of the state out my back door. Rarely see anyone yet most will scoff and claim there aren't any deer and too many hunters.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    768 acres near the most populace area of the state. Why were you surprised?

The issue is your sentiment (although undoubtedly true in your case) runs through the hunting community everywhere. I have 9000+ acres in one of the most rural parts of the state out my back door. Rarely see anyone yet most will scoff and claim there aren't any deer and too many hunters.
    unfortunately i have no where else to hunt. im not familar with any other area.
    No longer posting

(Chester County)

The problem with the crowded public lands are that the deer go for the nearest patch of posted property once the shooting starts and stay there until the season ends. The instant they hear the car doors slamming and the pumpkin army starts their armed recon, the deer high tail it to the safety of the posted zones.