Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The best ak-47

Default Re: The best ak-47

i love my polytech underfolder w/bayonet. after reading this thread (mag wobble), i just checked mine, it wobbles. i can honestly say, out of all of the weapons i own, there are only two that i would take with me if the SHTF, poly and my colt 1911 (built in 1915).
    FJB

Just curious since I have WASR and have never had any problems with it. The wood even looks pretty nice. I checked it over pretty well before I bought it.....sights were straight, nothing out of sorts that I could tell, etc.

I've had it for about 7 years or more and it's been a decent rifle. I don't shoot it nearly as much as my ar's but the ak does have its place in the collection. I put a side folding wire type stock on it and it is very compact.

With the AK and AR, I have an SKS I don't even touch anymore......poor thing.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by iamhistory View Post
    J
    I have an SKS I don't even touch anymore......poor thing.
    same here, and the sks is a great shooting gun. and pretty damn accurate.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    the wasr is great,...it is as true to a foreign made ak47 as most will get....
    True for current imports, the Romanian SAR-1s are a little better. The SARs have the mag well dimple the WASRs lack, this is due to the SAR receivers being configured for high capacity magazines right from the start, the WASRs were originally single-stack configuration and subsequently cut oversize to allow high capacity magazines. This is why there's so much variation in magazine fit and wobble with WASR.

The closest AKs were the pre-1989 imports that had *all* the features minus the full auto.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

So I gather you guys pretty much think that the WASR-10 will shoot, be reliable and last a while but will be lacking in fit and finish and overall quality.
    Yes

Of course there are better quality rifles to choose from and most certainly more expensive...........is the bottom line that the WASR's are going to be a waste of money or not?
    Worth the money. Only waste if you don't shoot it.

It seems to me that they are what most guys are aware of, see and handle in gun shops and therefore purchase.
    They are the most heavily imported AKs, so they are everywhere. That is why you see them more than any other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    True for current imports, the Romanian SAR-1s are a little better. The SARs have the mag well dimple the WASRs lack, this is due to the SAR receivers being configured for high capacity magazines right from the start, the WASRs were originally single-stack configuration and subsequently cut oversize to allow high capacity magazines. This is why there's so much variation in magazine fit and wobble with WASR.

The closest AKs were the pre-1989 imports that had *all* the features minus the full auto.
    Great info ... to the point and very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

I have a CAI GP1975 i got from Bobs in Clearfield. I am completely happy with it for what i use it for. Which is basically nothing other than wasting ammo. IMO WASRs are great if thats all you want to do. I've had no problems with the gun itself, just a bad mag. I feel strongly that i can count on the rifle no matter what and that it will shoot every time i pull the trigger. I know WASRs definitely aren't the best but one things for sure.. I'll never get rid of mine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The Barnaul Brown Bear I purchased recently was indeed corrosive. I have not had those kind of problems with Wolf BB, or MC. Hell even Hotshot... as sad as that is.

I found that one out the hard way.

The gas tube can be dealt with by using a 12 gauge bore brush and some hoppes #9 then a light coat of oil. For what the new commercial ammunition costs these days - combined with some of the poor performance I have witnessed. You might as well buy corrosive Yugo surplus.

They even neutered the 124gr Wolf MC. It no longer has the prefail cuts in the nose, doesn't have the sealant, and no longer performs. Which effectively killed the last cost effective 7.62x39mm round for self defense.

Which is why given the current state of affairs, I'm even leaning towards picking up a 5.45 AK - and just buying a crap pile of corrosive surplus.

It's still effective, more accurate, and much much cheaper.
    I've shot a lot of brown bear 7.62x39 and no way was it corrosive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123