Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best ak-47

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: The best ak-47

Quote Originally Posted by guard dog View Post
    Now that prices are coming down I'm looking to buy a Ak-47. To save on ammo
    I intend to shoot surplus 7.62. Any suggestions on what make would be the most dependable? Looked at the Russian built Siaga but because it has been "sporterized" I would have to spend whatever I saved to convert it. I'm looking at a pistol grip with folding stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The Russian convernted Saigas from KVAR look like the best quality AK's for the money right now. Much better quality then the WASR's. I have 2 MAK-90's and I consider them to be the best AK's ever made. They aren't as cheap as they use to be though. The Saiga technically isn't an AK-47.
    Last edited by Ermac; December 1st, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by guard dog View Post
    Now that prices are coming down I'm looking to buy a Ak-47. To save on ammo
    I intend to shoot surplus 7.62.
    Surplus? For 7.62 - Fuhgeddaboudit. Wolf and Brown Bear are more than acceptable substitutes and they're not (in most cases) corrosive.

Any suggestions on what make would be the most dependable?
    All AKs except the Hesse Arms ones are pretty dependable.

Looked at the Russian built Siaga but because it has been "sporterized" I would have to spend whatever I saved to convert it. I'm looking at a pistol grip with folding stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    My recommendoes:

Low-budget AK:

- CAI GP-1975 (it's based on the Romy G but has a new Green River barrel along with a Nodak-Spud receiver and an ass-load of new USA-made compliance hardware; lacks the chrome-lined barrel, though. Made by NDS for CAI - no trained monkeys anywhere in the process).

- CAI Bulgarian AK-74 NDS-2 (prices are WAY down on these - another NDS built rifle based on the Bulgy kits; you'll be able to run 5.45 x 39 surplus ammo as well)

Mid-range:

- gently-used Hungarian (FEG-built) SA-85 (might have to convert to 922(r) compliance; but build quality is top-notch)

- gently-used Norinco MAK-90 sporter (might have to convert to 922(r) compliance; but build quality is outstanding; has a 1.5 mm receiver along with a chrome lined barrel)

- gently-used Maadi MISR; ARM sporter (might have to convert to 922(r) compliance; but build quality is top-notch; factory was set up by Russian techs; most faithful reproduction of original AK-M)

- CAI Yugo M70A2 (has a 1.6 mm receiver but the barrel isn't chrome lined; built like a brick shithouse)

Mid-Upper range AK:

- K-VAR / Arsenal Saiga SGL-20/21 (Made by Izhmesh - everything you could want in an AK-M)

- Arsenal SLR-107F (stamped AKM)

- Lancaster Arms AK-M or Saiga conversion

Top end:

Poly Technologies Legend / Norinco MAK-90 Milled Receiver (may require compliance work)

Arsenal SAS M-7 A1 milled receiver underfolder

You also might consider the CZ VZ-58.

And you might consider buying a kit and having Rich Banks (PA Patriot) build one up for you.
    Last edited by kunsunoke; December 1st, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Allegheny County)

As others have said ... if you want to save money by buying surplus, buy a 5.45. Now, if you have a bunch of surplus 7.62x39 on hand ... then that's a different story.

As far as AKs go:

Right now IMHO there are two choices maybe 3 for good AKs at a decent price. (in no particular order)

1. SGL21s from K-var. They are on sale right now ($549 - $669). http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

2. Egyptian Kits built by Atlantic. These are not the cobbled together ones by Century. These are Egyptian military kits built by Atlantic ($549). http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct840.aspx

3. Century or Kit built Yugo M70. These can be found mostly on gunbroker or the classifieds here.

Those three are your best value AKs. It's hard to pick a "best" AK. The main problems are:

1. When it's boiled down, they are all AKs and will run like an AK is suppose to.
    2. Collectors value them different than shooters. A lot of people could imagine paying $2000 for an AK kit. But people do and have for a rare variant.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

I have an Arsenal AK (milled) that I paid about 350.00 for about 10 years ago. I put the correct stock on recently. Is it true that this gun has increased a great deal in value? Mine has never been fired.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chipjones54 View Post
    I have an Arsenal AK (milled) that I paid about 350.00 for about 10 years ago. I put the correct stock on recently. Is it true that this gun has increased a great deal in value? Mine has never been fired.

Yes, I'm sure yours has increased in value quite a bit. They are simply a rarer gun and a hot item.

That said, the dirty secret about AKs is that there is no 'best' and when you pay more you really only get one that looks nicer, is rarer (in the US), or is heavier (milled receiver). A stamped Romy may outshoot a milled Bulgarian, it really depends on the individual rifle. The only reason Romanians in particular are thought of as "the worst" is because Century inc. sometimes botches the job of widening the magwell.

It does make sense to pay extra to get the particular feature you want (e.g. flash hiders, dimples, side rails, chrome bbl or parts, windage ajustable rear sight, whatever) but in the end there isn't a huge spread in performance.

The only "AKs" I'd pay big bucks for and expect better performance from would be a Vepr, Valmet, or Galil.

Good Read. I've been considering an AK for sometime next tax rebate season.

(Delaware County)

I own a WASR and my firend owns one as well, when it comes to the mag wobble ive only experienced that with the steel mags, Tapco mags fit nice and snug and are cheaper than steel mags. As a first Ak that what I reccomend them. Fun to shoot, and on some websites its 5.00 for a box (20 Rds) of 7.62 x 39.

So I gather you guys pretty much think that the WASR-10 will shoot, be reliable and last a while but will be lacking in fit and finish and overall quality.

Of course there are better quality rifles to choose from and most certainly more expensive...........is the bottom line that the WASR's are going to be a waste of money or not?

It seems to me that they are what most guys are aware of, see and handle in gun shops and therefore purchase.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Lebanon County)

the wasr is great, though farther from the cheap gun it was even just a year ago.
    it is as true to a foreign made ak47 as most will get.
    yeah there are lots of people that jump up and down on them, but for every one of them, there are two that are more than happy with the romanian guns.
    they are not without issues, but rarely are they issues that can be ironed out or simply over looked. and even more rarely are they nothing more than cosmetic things.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

My first picks
    Yugo under folder
    Yugo M72
    Yugo fixed stock, then others.
    The under folders are easiest to shoot while the fixed stock are hard to get the sights in line with your eyes, the comb (the cheek piece) is too high and you have to dig your face in it, very uncomfortable, now others may disagree.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast