Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default kimber ultra carry II or colt defender

i read many threads like this, but i want to hear first hand experience thoughts on both.

its a tough choice, i can get the ultra carry II for 1100 with crimson trace grips, which 250 extra is alot for the laser but nice to have, or get the colt defender for 850.

people tell me the kimber is a tighter gun, but i like the fact that the colt is aluminum, lighter and no worries about rust.

i know i can get the kimber without the grips but i wouldnt want that, and i know they made stainless steel but i like the black better on the kimber.

im leaning towards the colt because i know 5 people with the kimber, its nice to have something different. that means i shot the kimber and havent shot the colt, and the range didnt have one for rent. im also worried about the colt defenders reputation for flinging casings in my face, i know i can send it to a gunsmith, but im not paying 850 bucks to have a gun sent out for something that shouldnt even be a problem.

by the way this will be my first handgun, i had my ltcf for a year now.
    Last edited by den9; January 25th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: kimber ultra carry II or colt defender

Speaking from my experience only with the Ultra Carry II, I'd go with the Kimber. I have no issues recommending this firearm to anyone I talk to. Carrying this thing is a breeze and is very comfortable with the right set up. I haven't actually gotten to shoot mine all that much due to the weather, but when I have it's shot great and eats anything I feed it.
    P229- 40 S&W

I had the Ultra carry II with CT grips and loved it. I never shot a colt defender. I ended up trading my UCII for a glock 19. suprisingly the grips are about the same thickness and thats what matters when concealing. I would say the UCII based on a positive experience with mine and my brothers for that matter. Good luck on your decision.

I thought the UC had an aluminum frame? it is kind of light.

(Westmoreland County)

Another nod for the Kimber. Although the smaller 1911s tend to be finicky with regards to ammo, no one I know who has one has ever had troulble.

(Bucks County)

the ucii does have the aluminum frame now that i think of it. alot of people are telling me the kimber is better, and i like the checkering, grip safety, and aluminum trigger on the kimber. i just wanted to buy a gun that isnt too common, but i guess the kimber is common for a reason.

I have owned a Colt Defender now for over a year. I had previously purchased a Kimber, blue steel, three inch barrel 45. It was brand new and had the factory one year warranty. It jammed very often, like once every ten rounds, directly out of the box. I sent it back to Kimber and they "fixed" it. They treated me like a fool and then ignored my problem with this paperweight. I traded it in on a Colt Defender and have not had a problem since. I need not worry too much, however. Colt has a "Lifetime" warranty against a " one year" warranty for Kimber. My Defender my not have checkered front grips and ambidextrious safeties, but by God, it is super reliable and a beautiful gun to boot. Never settle for less than a Colt. There you go!
    I only wish Colt would fix their website so you could buy things like exotic grips and hats and jackets. That and their refusal to once again manufacture the Python and Anaconda in 2.5 " barrels. If they did that, life would be wonderful. I can only dream. Colt is far and away the greatest gun manufacturer on Earth. I hope this helps any young man to avoid a mistake, Buy a Colt.
    Last edited by gwu77; November 6th, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Grammatical editing

(Centre County)

From my experience, I'd go with Kimber as well.
    But if your willing to spend money on Colt right from get-go to make it dependable, then I'd go with Colt
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default kimber ultra carry II or colt defender

I agree with Mity2. I have had a sack full of Colts and Kimbers including the Defender and the Ultras. I carry Kimbers. All the comments about the 3 inchers not functioning properly have not panned out in my experience. I have had 6 of em and the only problem was a para which the factory corrected. In fact all my 3 inchers ran much better than my 5 inch Colts with hollow points. Go Figure!

(Bucks County)

this thread is almost a year old!

i ended up with a hk usp compact in 9mm lol.

i was gonna go with the kimber and glad i didnt, my dad has one and i hate shooting it, its not fun shooting .45 acp in such a small gun.

i wouldnt mind getting a defender in 9mm for CC though.

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    this thread is almost a year old!

i ended up with a hk usp compact in 9mm lol.

i was gonna go with the kimber and glad i didnt, my dad has one and i hate shooting it, its not fun shooting .45 acp in such a small gun.

i wouldnt mind getting a defender in 9mm for CC though.
    In a carry gun, i prefer a caliber that is no fun for the person I may have to shoot. Yes, i carrry a UCII but i guess the real golden rule is to carry a caliber and pistol that you are proficient with.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast