Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 options

(Montgomery County)

Default .45 options

Hi, recently while at my gun club shooting, I had the pleasure of meeting another shooter and we got to talking and he let me shoot his Colt 1911. I have never shot a 1911 or any other .45 caliber pistol for that matter. The SA trigger was new to me, but I was surprised how accurate I was with it and how good it felt ( I was expecting alot of recoil but it was totally manageable). I also liked the "push" of the .45 as oppposed to the snappiness of the .40 I was shooting that day. Not that I don't like my G23, but now I'm thinking I need to bring a .45 pistol into the fold. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we be a good choice. I could stick with my beloved Glock platform and try a G36 (the slim one, never held a Glock single stack) or try something different. Any experience with the G36, or Ruger P345? A 1911 I think is probably a must for the collection at some point as well, it seems there are many different makes and can be quite expensive though, I think..??
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .45 options

whats your price range ?

(Allegheny County)

I would also like to remind you that shooting a .45 through a nice heavy all metal 1911 is a dream. Shooting that same round through a lighter polymer pistol is different. Remember that the mass of the gun affects perceived recoil.

As to your actual question... I wouldn't dare opt for a Glock over a 1911 if I wanted a .45 caliber pistol. IMO not even a comparison.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I would also like to remind you that shooting a .45 through a nice heavy all metal 1911 is a dream. Shooting that same round through a lighter polymer pistol is different. Remember that the mass of the gun affects perceived recoil.

As to your actual question... I wouldn't dare opt for a Glock over a 1911 if I wanted a .45 caliber pistol. IMO not even a comparison.
    Hmm, didn't think about that. Maybe thats why I liked that Colt. I haven't shot a .45 out of a lighter polymer pistol so I can't say.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    whats your price range ?
    not sure.. but I don't really wanna go over 600-650.

(Philadelphia County)

while there is a definite difference between a fullsize 1911 and a glock, i was pleasantly surprised as to how manageable my g30 was after 1 day at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    not sure.. but I don't really wanna go over 600-650.
    The Ruger I had was in your price range, but it was not a 1911 style & it was too chunky for my hand. Good luck, the .45 invented by JMB is the way to go.

In addition to my G23, I have a G30, The .45 does have less felt recoil. With the mag in, the grip is about the same size as the .40 only thicker. They're both easy to conceal. I can't decide which I like better.

I also have a Sig P220 Carry (.45) that's my favorite (This month!).
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Delaware County)

I have, carry, and LOVE my Glock 30. It is as accurate in my hands as any pistol I have fired, and 10+1 of .45acp in a package that size is hard to ignore! Typical Glock reliability and a nice "pushy" recoil (I'm a Glock 23 Alumni as well. Trust me, it different.) sealed the deal for me. Plus, I pop in a 13 round G21 mag when it hits the nightstand at night. PM me if you'd like to shoot it, I'd be happy to meet up!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourture View Post
    while there is a definite difference between a fullsize 1911 and a glock, i was pleasantly surprised as to how manageable my g30 was after 1 day at the range.
    The differance is minimal in the recoil department, the polymer frame guns are quite forgiving in this department. And your price range you say is 600-650? I would take a Glock 45 any day of the week over a 1911 in this price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast