Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Police accident procedure?

Alright, last night around 2:30 I hear a GIANT crash and skidding tires. Go outside and the neghbors PT cruiser is almost on my porch. A girl must have dosed off and plowed into it, going pretty fast. The PT hit the car in front of it, otherwise I think we'd have it in our porch. Girl was laying beside the car when I got outside, no physical signs of damage, but she sure didn't sound good; first thing she said to me was to help her. So I called 911, but the horn was blaring so I went inside. All the dispatcher asked was my name, number, if I knew what was wrong with her, and if there was anyone else in the car. Then they just hung up.

I'm curious about how I could find out if the girl was alright, and why the police did what they did. The whole scene was cleared out in less than an hour. Thats not enough time to do all the testing they needed to do, is it? I mean, its pretty clear cut that she was most likely asleep, but I'd think they'd still measure and take lots of pictures. I wasn't out there the whole time, but I didn't even see one cameraman. Whats police procedure for these accidents? Just get them off the road?

I feel bad for the girl. The two cars were owned by the same couple, and the wife seemed self-centered and will probably try to get every penny out of it as she can. Lost her car, and has to pay for at least one brand new PT cruiser...

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Police accident procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    I feel bad for the girl. The two cars were owned by the same couple, and the wife seemed self-centered and will probably try to get every penny out of it as she can. Lost her car, and has to pay for at least one brand new PT cruiser...
    insurance, that what it's for.
    yeah it was girls fault, but other than highter rates or at worst being dropped, she will not pay a thing. with luck she has comp otherwie she's sol for a ride.

the old lady won't get anything extra....as she was'nt in the car. a new car or the old fixed and maybe a rental in the mean time.

we had a simular thing happen years ago.

a drunk hit the rear of a full size pick up, then pushed it from it's spot past the ''yellow zone'' at an alley, across the alley, through the other ''yellow zone'', then into the back of our car(a dodge omni......real big loose there.....).

it's pretty clear what happened, no need for an indepth investagtion. nobody was killed.
    they'll know if the girl fell asleep or passed out.....
    Last edited by brian; July 29th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

not everything is CSI, the time and resources for furthering an investigation where it really isn't needed isn't worth it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    Alright, last night around 2:30 I hear a GIANT crash and skidding tires. Go outside and the neghbors PT cruiser is almost on my porch. A girl must have dosed off and plowed into it, going pretty fast. The PT hit the car in front of it, otherwise I think we'd have it in our porch. Girl was laying beside the car when I got outside, no physical signs of damage, but she sure didn't sound good; first thing she said to me was to help her. So I called 911, but the horn was blaring so I went inside. All the dispatcher asked was my name, number, if I knew what was wrong with her, and if there was anyone else in the car. Then they just hung up.

I'm curious about how I could find out if the girl was alright, and why the police did what they did. The whole scene was cleared out in less than an hour. Thats not enough time to do all the testing they needed to do, is it? I mean, its pretty clear cut that she was most likely asleep, but I'd think they'd still measure and take lots of pictures. I wasn't out there the whole time, but I didn't even see one cameraman. Whats police procedure for these accidents? Just get them off the road?

current laws prevent hospitals from giving you information so you'll most likely have no luck there.

Police generally only do an accident investigation if there's a fatality involved.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    insurance, that what it's for.
    yeah it was girls fault, but other than highter rates or at worst being dropped, she will not pay a thing. with luck she has comp otherwie she's sol for a ride.

the old lady won't get anything extra....as she was'nt in the car. a new car or the old fixed and maybe a rental in the mean time.
    Just an FYI. Comprehensive covers "acts of God" and other damage to your car outside of your control.

Collision insurance covers your vehicle when you are at fault.

Both Comprehensive and Collision coverage are not required by State Law but "Property Damage Liability" coverage is and that's what covers any property you damage in your own vehicle. Unfortunately, only $5,000 of coverage is mandatory. So there could be issues if she doesn't have enough coverage. Also, she could be uninsured completely. At which point, your neighbors Uninsured/Underinsured coverage should take effect.

/Girl I'm seeing got into an accident last night, I picked up a thing or two trying to calm her down.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Did she hit a PT cruiser??
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

The police can't spend hopurs on every auto accident .. or else they'd never get to do anything else.
    If there is a death or may be a death then you get the cameras and lots of pics with the accident reconstruction
    And in this case there is not even any doubt who is at fault , she is , unless your house swerved into her lane.
    So they know who is at fault without doubt , doesn't appear she may die ... time to move on to others matters

(Centre County)

Marc and WMG pretty much have it.

In my neck of the woods unless there is a fatality or serious injury (we fly someone to a trauma center), or a DUI accident there usually arn't offical photographs, measurements etc. I know when I'm at work I carry a camera and photograph what I can while I'm on the scene. The police do have quite a bit of paperwork that they have to fill out though! In most cases there just really is no need to shut a road down for a long time.

Cheers,
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]