Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Lee-Enfield 303 Help

I picked up a No4 Mk 1 and want to refinish it. I plan on stripping everything down, refinishing the wood and sandblasting and Moly coating the metal. Having a hard time getting the wood off. Does anyone have an advice/tips or good links that would help? I need a longer screw driver for the buttstock (I'll get them from work Monday) but am stumped at getting off the one piece "forend" lower.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Lee-Enfield 303 Help

No. 4's are easy to take apart. All you need is two flathead screwdrivers. Bigger longer one for the buttstock and a small one for the rest of the rifle. Remove the action screw from the trigger guard remove both barrel bands and pull the barreled action from the stock use the longer screwdriver to remove the buttstock.

What do you plan on using to refinish the stock with? here is the Long Branch I just finished up a few weeks ago.

(Luzerne County)

When I got mine I didn't re-finish the stock, the only think I did was clean it up a bit. Follow the directions at Surplusrifle.com and you should be finre.

(Luzerne County)

Very nice piece of history there K-31! I plan to finish in either Linseed or Teak Oil. What did you use (it looks great)? Thanks for the advice, I got it off, it took some tapping and force but it finally released. Lots of cosmoline that dried to a glue like hold.

The Buttstock is going to be tougher, I found a long enough driver (actually used a screwdriver bit, socket and long 1/4 extension), the problem now is it seems the stock screw head is a bit boogered up and the screw slit is enlarged to approx 2 to 3 quarters width. I may have to weld up a "special" screwdriver for the task.

Steve, I've cleaned up stocks in that fashion before but this one is FU-UGLY!! The butstock is darker than the rest of the wood and the entire wood set has grey epoxy like drippings all over it so it needs a total strip-redo....and that may not even work. If not, I'll try to find a new stock set.

I liked the peep sight and thin front blade on the gun as I may try to use it for vintage CMP.
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    The butstock is darker than the rest of the wood and the entire wood set has grey epoxy like drippings all over it so it needs a total strip-redo....and that may not even work.
    Try spray oven cleaner, the lye in it really lifts the gunk out of the wood pores. After the fumes disapate, you can use steel wool and an old toothbrush to work out the nooks and crannies.

Most wood is salvagable that way, it's when the area around the action is so badly oil-impregnated that it crumbles.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Oh, and BLO is the factory finish. Just remember that the first coat should be 2/3 turpentine, so that it carries into the dried out wood pores.

(Delaware County)

I use aircraft stripper from Walmart to remove the old cruddy finish. Then give it a good once over with hot soapy (Dawn dish soap) water. I then go to the iron and a wet rag to steam out any dents in the wood. I lightly sand then finish with several coats BLO+ Turp+ Beeswax for the finish that you see in the pics above. I didn't touch the metal on this rifle as it was in great shape all I did was wipe it down with some CLP. Good luck post some pics when your done. Gotta love them #4's
    Last edited by K31; July 30th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Got it!!! I tried every screwdriver I had and borrowed a couple extra big ones too, none of them were able to back it out. Tried cycles of heat and PB Blaster (Thanks for the tip PA Patriot!) still nothing, though I'm sure it was helping the cause. Then a few minutes ago I had a brainstormer: USE THE SCREWDRIVER END OF A TIRE IRON!! I was using all my tire irons as stakes for woodchuck traps so I had to go dig one out of the woodline along the creek. Banged the dirt/rust off it, gave it a 10 second sharpen job on the sidewalk and PRESTO- worked beautiful. One would swear it was made for the job! I'll try and get some pics of the gore before and (hopefully) its' nice after looks. Thanks for the help/tips guys...and keep 'em coming.
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

(Berks County)

Back in February I documented my Mk IV "rebirth" project in Gun Pics.

http://http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictures-24/2756-enfield-4-mk-1-rebirth-project.html

It was an education and my first Enfield. It is from India and was really abused and needed attention. I just picked up another at a flea market, Bubba made a hunting rifle out of it, Bore is decent, just missing some stock metal and the stock is cut down....should be easy to put it back the "way it is supposed to be".

Good luck and post pics!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Luzerne County)

762xIan,

You, kind sir and your Enfield pics/post were the driving force in inspiring me to pursue what I'm doing. Thanks!! Beautiful work on that Smelly!
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

(Tioga County)

Here is my Custom Carbine No4 Mk1 with a Fajen stock made from Black Walnut with black caps and white spacers. This is a Maltby too. Negligable recoil and a sweet and accurate shooter too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

The only way the Gov't will get my guns is if they fight me for them.

Wasn't born in P.A., But I am a proud resident now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast