Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Pistol shooting at "rifle" range SGL

My topic concerns shooting a pistol at the "rifle" sections of SGL ranges. You see I have a 357 scoped revolver that I deer hunt with and like to shoot at further distances than are available at the pistol only section. I have read the signs posted up and down every time I am at the range and here is the way I understand things.

The pistol range is pistols only because the sign clearly says Pistols Only. Duh. However the "rifle" section in question does not say rifles only. The only restrictions it has that differ from the pistol ranges are that it states no bird shot and 3 rounds in magazine at a time. So I have always understood it as I can shoot my revolver at a bench at the "rifle" range, granted I abide by all the rules posted.

Pretty simple or so I thought, yet almost every time I do, some "know it all" tells me "you're gonna get fined for that!" I explain to them the rules do not restrict it. They just give the "whatever it's your ass not mine" line.

Am I wrong here, or all of these people just assuming they're right because they know everything?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pistol shooting at "rifle" range SGL

I always shoot my scoped Ruger SRH .44mag on the 100yd rifle ranges in the area. I have always loaded up 5 rounds and never had a problem.

The rules due state 3 rounds in a firearm at a "rifle range" and 6 rounds in a handgun range.

§ 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (a) General provisions. In addition to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in § 135.182 (relating to Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(1) Rifle and handgun ranges are open from 8 a.m., prevailing time, until sunset Monday through Saturday and from 12 noon to sunset Sundays, unless otherwise posted; except the Sunday immediately preceding the regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons and the regular bear season, when the hours are 8 a.m. to sunset.

(2) A range may be reserved for exclusive use by an organized group from January 1 through October 1. An organized group desiring to reserve the range shall make necessary arrangements through the appropriate regional director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

(3) An individual may not use the range when in use on days when it is reserved by an organized group.

(4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

(5) The Commission is not responsible for anyone injured on the range. An individual using Commission owned ranges does so at his own risk and assumes all responsibility for injuries to a person or property caused by or to him.

(6) When more than one person is using the range, a range officer shall be designated.

(7) An individual under 16 years of age may not use the range unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.

(8) The appropriate regional director or designee may close a range by posting signs to that effect.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee for military or law enforcement training, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.

(3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.

(4) Be intoxicated, use or possess an intoxicating beverage or controlled substance on the range.

(5) Possess an automatic weapon.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(7) Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

(York County)

Ok so I'm not the only one then. Those are the same set of rules I've been reading too, maybe everyone else should read them before telling me what I can and can't do.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    Ok so I'm not the only one then. Those are the same set of rules I've been reading too, maybe everyone else should read them before telling me what I can and can't do.
    I said that is what I do, but also the rules say only 3 rounds in a firearm at a "rifle range". So truth be told, I should not be loading those 5 rounds in my revolver because I am at a "rifle range"....not the "handgun range".

When I drag out my M1 Garand to the range I load it up with an 8 round clip, which is not what the rules allow. But I don't go blasting away with 8 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger either.

So, I guess it depends on your area. If you are at a SGL range that has lots of problems or sees lots of WCO's visiting, you might want to adhere to the rules.

(Allegheny County)

When shooting rifle I load 3 rounds, when shooting pistol I load 6 rounds. Shot both at both places with WCO there and was never told not to.

I guess it is just up to their own interpretations or views on what is safe. If you want to play it extra safe only load 3 rounds with your pistol but feel free to use the rifle range as there are no rules against it.

(York County)

I do abide by the 3 round rule when shooting my revolver at the rifle range, yet still catch hell from the old men. To be honest I'm shooting it like a rifle too, going for accurate single shots at long range. I'm not up there popping off shots from my semi auto or something. I guess I'll just keep doing what I do.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So truth be told, I should not be loading those 5 rounds in my revolver because I am at a "rifle range"....not the "handgun range".
    Correct. You should NOT be doing that.

When I drag out my M1 Garand to the range I load it up with an 8 round clip, which is not what the rules allow.
    Correct. That is NOT what the rules allow.

If you are at a SGL range that has lots of problems or sees lots of WCO's visiting, you might want to adhere to the rules.
    No, you SHOULD adhere to the rules at ALL SGL ranges.

Don't suggest to others that they can partake in illegal activity at ranges without problems or lots of WCO's. This is a violation of forum rules and can get you banned.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    I do abide by the 3 round rule when shooting my revolver at the rifle range,
    Then you're completely fine.

yet still catch hell from the old men.
    That's surprising. I've never been to a SGL range and not seen at least one person shooting pistols at the rifle range. I've always found it amusing watching guys shooting iron sights at 100yrds just for the sake of blasting away ammo.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I do.
    Yup. And if you catch hell from an old man, ask him to show you where in the rules it says you can't. If he's not satisfied, tell him he's welcome to call a range officer and he'll explain it to him.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Yup. And if you catch hell from an old man, ask him to show you where in the rules it says you can't. If he's not satisfied, tell him he's welcome to call a range officer and he'll explain it to him.
    That's what I've said before. Just tripple checking on here that I didn't miss something. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    When I drag out my M1 Garand to the range I load it up with an 8 round clip, which is not what the rules allow.
    I load just 3 rounds on my garand. I don't mind because I hear the ping more often.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Correct. You should NOT be doing that.
    I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter if your at a handgun or rifle station, if he wants to put 6 rounds in his revolver at the 100 yard range he is fine. The rules state 3 for rifles and 6 for handguns. It doesn't state that you can only have 3 in a handgun at a rifle station.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast