Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default telescope=long range spotting scope?

please share thoughts on using a telescope as a long range spotting scope...

im a poor boy just able to pay bills, eat, and shoot occasionaly, so im trying to shoot far, cheap

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: telescope=long range spotting scope?

Don't do it if the scope is mounted on a rifle! It's possible your intentions could be mis-interpreted.

Besides you can check these out. Not that expensive.

Barsca 25X
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=385922

Brunton Variable 10-30X
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=452408

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

No problem.....but remember that a telescope inverts the image unless you use a device to "flip" it back to normal.

spotting scope yea sorry... those arent bad, but do you really think those cheaper ones are that good for that far? im kind of skepticle of the reviews do you have one?

i was also interested in the aspect of killing two birds with one stone and maybe star gazing...

but now that you mention it isn't there a movie maybe wanted where a telescope rig was used? lol sounds stupid but maybe it could be engineered? just a brainstorm

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    No problem.....but remember that a telescope inverts the image unless you use a device to "flip" it back to normal.
    No problem, just stand on your head when viewing.

Seriously though, there are a number of less expensive spotting scopes on the market. Easily under $100. Check Natchez or Midway or even Cabela's websites or even Sportsmans Guide, here's one from them for $30 it's a 15 - 40X. I know it's not a Leupold, but what more could you want on a tight budget?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=532200

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

My take on cheap spotting scopes is they're worth what you pay for them. Most of them aren't that good, they're blurry, don't have very good resolution and cause a lot of eye strain. if you don't have to look through one for very long, no biggy, if you have to, you'll have a headache and your eyes will hurt.

Not all telescopes invert the image, it depends on the setup of the telescope. Either way, they do make good spotting scopes, but they're big and heavy. Most people THINK they'll be willing to haul a bulky, heavy, etc, telescope to the range. Later on, most of those people have changed their mind and they won't do it. Telescopes usually have pretty large objective lense diameters, so they have better resolution than a cheap small objective spotting scope. Either way, practicality usually takes over and people won't haul them.

It all really depend on what you want to use it for; what targets, colors, contrast, range, mirage, light angle, bullet hole sizes, etc. Even with fairly large spotting scope (56mm or larger) at 25x, it's not easy to see .308 caliber holes at 300 yards if you get a little mirage. With a cheap spotting scope at that magnification, you probably won't do it well; remember that even with more magnification if the glass isn't as high quality, you still won't see the holes. Even with good spotting scopes at 300 yards, if you have heavy mirage it can sometimes be impossible to see .308 caliber holes in the black. When you start talking about seeing holes at 500 yards, even some of the very expensive spotting scopes won't be able to do it; it's not because the scope isn't good enough, but because the atmospheric conditions will keep you from doing it.

It all depends on lots of things. I'm guessing you're talking about shooting long range, since you mentioned a long range mosin in another thread. The cheap spotting scopes will fail you on this, and even telescopes may, it will depend on lots of things. There's a reason that LR guys usually shoot steel targets that are painted which, that the paint flakes off larger than the bullet caliber when it hits and you hear "BING". It's because even with expensive spotting scopes, you can still only resolve so much.

thanx for the input, thats what i was worried about when i stopped in at the gunshop, to ask about it. which brings up a few more thinkers... the reason i went to the shop, was because i was at my old roommates farm trying it out and another was that i do have some retired thick pizza pans, not exactly steel, i think mostly aluminum but it at least should make a thud when it punches thru right?

and also with the transport of the telescope, i could potentially devise a carrying method, and its on a farm so we can just drive on up to the spot if we have to... but rifle over one shoulder backpack or rangebag over the back, and telescope in the other hand? maybe wouldn't be too difficult?

nevertheless i will probably find out that telescopes are way out of my price range

(Franklin County)

Any telescope that is "weak" enough to be used as a spotting scope will be pretty much useless for stargazing, and I'm quite sure the distances you will be shooting will be far too short for a decent telescope.

You can buy interchangeable lenses for various magnifications, but you'll be much further ahead by getting the right tool for the right job.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I've pondered making a steel box that housed a wireless video camera that could be set at ground level [or lower, if you dig a hole for protection] that pointed to the target. CCD cameras are so small, the weight of the entire transmitter rig would be less than 10# with the steel box.

Now obviously this set-up isn't something you'd want to hump in from the field. but most of the places I shoot at my pickup tailgate becomes a bench top behind the line, so a Monitor could even be powered by the trucks battery.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBi11 View Post
    I've pondered making a steel box that housed a wireless video camera that could be set at ground level [or lower, if you dig a hole for protection] that pointed to the target. CCD cameras are so small, the weight of the entire transmitter rig would be less than 10# with the steel box.

Now obviously this set-up isn't something you'd want to hump in from the field. but most of the places I shoot at my pickup tailgate becomes a bench top behind the line, so a Monitor could even be powered by the trucks battery.
    There are quite a few LR guys that have gone to this type of setup for long range shooting. Many of them don't even put the camera in a steel box, they're so small and most of the guys already know their dope, so the chances are quite small for hitting the camera. Either way, it's not a bad idea either. This type of setup can and does work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast