Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rem 700 extractor problem

My 7mm mag started having an issue extracting shells for some reason. It pulls the shell from the chamber but will not throw it clear. Any ideas?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Union County)

Default Re: Rem 700 extractor problem

that would be the ejector then. a little more info about the gun would be a little more helpful but sounds like your ejctr is stuck or broken....

It's a bolt action Remington 700, nothing fancy. It feeds the shell into the chamber OK but when you open the bolt it just pulls the shell out and drops it on top of the other shells in the mag which would cause you to double feed if you weren't paying attention.

(Westmoreland County)

Pulling the shell out of the chamber is performed by the extractor. From your description of the mode of failure, the extractor is doing its job.

MaxPower is correct in that your rifle is exhibiting a problem with the ejector.

ETA: The Rem 700 utilizes a spring loaded plunger style ejector embedded into the bolt face. If you remove your bolt from the rifle you'll see it (it looks like a pin that fits into a recess in the bolt face). The spring is probably jammed or broken.
    Last edited by TonyF; November 29th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Pulling the shell out of the chamber is performed by the extractor. From your description of the mode of failure, the extractor is doing its job.

MaxPower is correct in that your rifle is exhibiting a problem with the ejector.

ETA: The Rem 700 utilizes a spring loaded plunger style ejector embedded into the bolt face. If you remove your bolt from the rifle you'll see it (it looks like a pin that fits into a recess in the bolt face). The spring is probably jammed or broken.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Anyone know how to disassemble the bolt? I know how to remove it from the rifle, but I've never tried to take it apart.

(Monroe County)

Not trying to be a smart ass but, If you don't know the difference between a extractor and a ejector and only know how to remove the bolt from the rifle it's probably best to take it to a gunsmith, it's a simple fix and he most likely could fix it up in 5 min.
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Anyone know how to disassemble the bolt? I know how to remove it from the rifle, but I've never tried to take it apart.
    You don't have to take apart the whole bolt to get the ejector out. You merely have to push in the ejector to compress the spring, and drift out the pin that holds it in place. Then you can remove the ejector and the spring. You could then change out the spring and make sure that the area where the ejector moves is free from debris and put it back in.

Before you removed it, I would push on it and make sure that it is able to move. You may try putting a little lighter fluid, CLP or WD-40 in there to use as a solvent and try to break loose any debris that might be in there. If the ejector is able to move, then it will most likely work if it will come all the way out forward to "push". It's pretty rare for this spring to break, and I personally think the factory springs are a little strong. On my custom rifle I have 2 coils trimmed, so that it doesn't throw my brass forever and a day away from me (since I reload). It leaves them in a nice pile close to me, but ejects them hard enough that they don't fall back into the action. I'll see if I can find a diagram for you so that you know what I'm talking about.

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Does this help?
    Yes sir, that's the diagram I was going to post up, but you beat me to it. The OP needs to push down number 11, drift out number 12, and then it will all come out. As I stated before, I would FIRST recommend that you just try to use a solvent and move it some and see if there's some crud obstructing the ejector well. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info. Looks really easy to change the spring. I got it working, it's just a little light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast