Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Cover & Concealment

There is cover , there is concealment & there is both as one.
    There is a common quote that goes something like "Car doors are not cover , concrete walls are".
    Do NOT GO SEEKING COVER BEHIND 5/16" plate steel if someone has turned their .308 (AR10) your way as it punched a clean hole @ 50 yrds w/out even moving the hanging target that much.
    I know it is a bad/arse rd but visual/physical reinforcement every now & then helps keep everything in check.
    1BR's AR10 is a BMF'o

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Cover & Concealment

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    There is a common quote that goes something like "Car doors are not cover , concrete walls are".
    Do NOT GO SEEKING COVER BEHIND 5/16" plate steel if someone has turned their .308 (AR10) your way as it punched a clean hole @ 50 yrds w/out even moving the hanging target that much.
    I know it is a bad/arse rd but visual/physical reinforcement every now & then helps keep everything in check.
    1BR's AR10 is a BMF'o
    Concrete walls yes, cinder blocks not so much.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Concrete walls yes, cinder blocks not so much.
    Yeah. Watch the rifles episode of Gunny Ermy's new show. I think even the submachineguns were punching holes in cinderblocks.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Pike County)

M1A Socom 16 in nasty on those blocks as well.

(York County)

A 1/16th to an 1/8th, I'd have no problem believing the post, but 5/16ths (.312") seems to be kind of pushing it. That's pretty thick plate.
    So, where did you see this?

Yeah, cinder block just disintegrates. If that's your cover, you'd better hope it was filled with concrete.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    That's pretty thick plate.

Not for a .308 it isint.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Yeah. Watch the rifles episode of Gunny Ermy's new show. I think even the submachineguns were punching holes in cinderblocks.
    Well that I'd kind of expect. Subguns generally run pistol rounds which tend to do much better through intermediate barriers.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

A 1/16th to an 1/8th, I'd have no problem believing the post, but 5/16ths (.312") seems to be kind of pushing it. That's pretty thick plate.

Yeah, cinder block just disintegrates. If that's your cover, you'd better hope it was filled with concrete.
    I went to the club w/ a friend to sight in the new builds. 1br brought along his A-10 for fun. There was a 8"x8" pc of 5/16" plate steel hanging off of the target upper rail. It had several .30"ish craters in the face but no holes(execpt the one the para cord was thru to hang it).It was at the 50 yrd post and I wanted to make it clang/ring. I shot the plate and it only moved a little(thought I had missed and was the wind moving it {Sat. was very Windy}. At the next target post we checked and there was a clean hole punched right thru. 7.62mmFMJ @ 50 yrds. I know it is a powerful rd. no biggie , but it went thru real clean and only made the plate wave. NO B.S. .I worked on several bank jobs(Construction not hits!) and we installed 1/4 & 5/16 plate @ the teller lines and other crucial walls. I guess the threat assessment was for hand gun/low power rds..
    Good reinforcement for tactical, safety, & humbling reasons, to see how powerful these rnds can be .

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    1BR's AR10 is a BMF'o
    Good advice. A lot people don't realize just how much power a bullet can deliver. About the only things I'd trust hiding behind on a car would be the engine and maybe the axles/brake rotors. Everything else is sheet metal and plastic.

5/16" steel plate isn't as tough as you'd think. I had a piece of 3/8" steel about 8 months ago that I used as an ammo testing target for my Mini-14. Wolf 223 made craters half way through and Federal XM193 nearly went the whole way. The XM193 craters had cracks on the back of the plate too. I'd guess 10% more power and they would have gone through. After that, I bought some Prvi M855 ammo. Those have a little steel plug under the nose of the bullet, so they penetrate farther than regular FMJs. The M855s made it the whole way through, and mind you, they're still only a 5.56mm round.

After I had finished with the plate, I took it to a buddy's house and we shot it up even more with his Yugo SKS. As long as the plate was perpendicular to us (i.e. facing us, so the bullets hit square rather than on an angle) we could put clean holes through it with Wolf 7.62x39 FMJs. Considering that Wolf tends to be loaded light and that the 7.62x39 has less power than a .308, I'd say even 3/8" steel is poor cover from .308 fire. I'd want at least 1/2" steel or hardened armor of some sort.

(Montgomery County)

BW speaks the truth.

I've seen many articles written on the "punching" power of the .308 round but I've never witnessed it in person until this past Saturday.

Seeing the hole in that steel plate gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast