Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Britain - Shamed: the top hospitals with the worst death rates

Articles like the one below have been coming at a pace of several a week for the past month now.

Still want a Government run health service?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ath-rates.html

Shamed: the top hospitals with the worst death rates

The three hospitals with the highest patient death rates in the country can be named, amid a deepening crisis over the standard of care in the NHS.

By Laura Donnelly, Patrick Sawer and Alastair Jamieson
    Published: 9:41PM GMT 28 Nov 2009

Bolton, Greater Manchester and Basildon NHS trusts have elite “foundation status”. However, The Sunday Telegraph has learned that statistics to be published this week will show a higher percentage of patients died while in their care in 2008-09 than in any other trusts in the country.

With the average mortality rate set at a score of 100, Basildon scored 131, Royal Bolton 122 and Tameside Hospital, in Greater Manchester, 119.

The disclosures have cast further doubt on Labour’s flagship foundation hospitals’ policy, which has been under attack since appalling standards of care at Mid Staffordshire Hospital were exposed in March.

Last night patients’ groups demanded that ministers carry out a “total overhaul” of the system, which they said was “failing” patients. Investigations by this paper have found:

- Eight foundation hospitals are failing so badly that they have breached the terms of their licence to operate and are being placed under close supervision by the NHS watchdog, Monitor.

- The leading children’s hospital Alder Hey has been issued with a “warning notice” for breaching basic infection standards and putting vulnerable young patients at risk of killer infections – just two weeks after the trust declared itself “the best in the country”.

- Three ambulance services have also been issued with the same notices after failing to properly decontaminate equipment, or provide clean services for the most high-risk patients.

- Bosses of foundation trusts with high death rates have awarded themselves bumper pay rises. Chief executives at the eight foundation trusts with the highest death rates in 2007-08 had average salary rises of 15 per cent when their institutions took on the coveted status.

Last week Basildon was condemned by inspectors who found “blood-spattered” walls and filthy conditions.

The hospital has the worst patient death rate in the country, according to the health care information analysts Dr Foster.

Hospitals were also rated for overall patient care. Again, Basildon came off worst; followed by Scarborough and North East Yorkshire and Lewisham Hospital trust, in South London, respectively.

Katherine Murphy, from the Patients Association, said the foundation hospital system had reached crisis point. “Foundation hospitals claim to be in a premier league, but yet more evidence is coming out that many of them are failing their patients,’’ she said.

There are also question marks over the way ratings given to hospitals rely on their own assessment of their performance. At Basildon Hospital, managers gave themselves 13 out of a 14 possible marks for safety and cleanliness. The ratings were published just weeks before the damning inspection report was drawn up.

At Alder Hey, hospital managers awarded themselves the maximum score for cleanliness. When its self-assessments were added up, it was awarded an overall rating of “excellent” for its services.

On October 15, the hospital sent out a press release, titled “best in class, best in country”, describing how it had achieved the most successful result of any children’s hospital.

Twelve days later, when inspectors from regulators the Care Quality Commission (CQC) arrived unannounced, they found filthy conditions, with brown running water, mouldy bathrooms and soiled furniture and commodes. Toys were stored on top of equipment to clean bedpans.

The inspectors also found that trays used to carry sterile equipment were dirty. Domestic staff said the parts of the wards they could not reach were cleaned just once a year, by outside contractors. The hospital was told it was failing to protect patients from infections, and ordered to make urgent changes. Andrew Lansley, the shadow health secretary said: “We have to move away from the flawed system of self-assessment to one where inspectors really understand what is going on in our hospitals.

''We need more spot inspections which focus on the results of treatment, the experiences of patients and their feedback.”

Dr Steve Ryan, medical director at Alder Hey, said the trust apologised for the failings found by CQC during its inspection, but insisted that the faults found on the wards visited last month were not typical of the hospital. Ambulance services in the North East, East of England, and East Midlands have all been issued with warnings by the CQC about their basic hygiene.

The regulator for foundation trusts, Monitor, is scrutinising eight trusts which are failing to meet basic standards.

The Sunday Telegraph’s campaign, Heal our Hospitals, has received 1,200 signatures backing its calls for an independent inquiry into the way hospitals are regulated and run.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Britain - Shamed: the top hospitals with the worst death rates

Oh goody. This is that Change we were promised! Let's get that healthcare bill shoved through ASAP!

If you missed the sarcasm in that please smack yourself in the back of the head.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    Oh goody. This is that Change we were promised! Let's get that healthcare bill shoved through ASAP!

If you missed the sarcasm in that please smack yourself in the back of the head.
    For the Goddamn 10,000th time...

The Health System in the UK has almost nothing at ALL resembling the current or any sort of future type of system planned by any side of the Isle..

For fuck's sake.

The UK's System is 100% own and operated by the UK Gov't. Hospitals are owned and operated by the Government, The Doctors are Employee's of the Government (or at least are paid and have oversight as such) The entire health system is basically run like our DMV..

The Left doesn't understand the problem to create a solution, and couldn't draft logical policy if their lives depended on it.. Not only that, they have the spine made of.. of... OK They have no spine.. Or intelligence... (ARG) They also resort to the same BS tactics that the accused the Republicans of pulling.. Which makes them even BIGGER assholes in my eyes. I also completely lose my sanity (the shred I have left) on the pure and absolute madness of their inability to do anything with any sort of intellegence.. It's akin to letting your 4 year old take care of the family pet. They may mean well but the pet is prolly going to be fing DEAD when you get home. 1,200 pages for one bill? 300 Billion in Pork to get the other 600 billion of changes (that won't work at all to achieve the goals intented) is just plain fucking STUPID. I mean.. How do you convince less people that your health care plan is going to work, then the Republicans were able to convince that Obama was a Muslim?! How the hell is that possible!?

... Breath... Ok... Calm down....

Oh I'm not done yet... The Right doesn't understand the differences between solutions, and is more interested in fucking over the left to get re-elected no matter the cost. Not to mention just as corrupt and owned by special interest groups as the left is.. Just different groups.. They've also dumbed down the debate and constantly alter statistics our just outright LIE about their numbers.. Example : The Cost of the Health Care Changes.. One Trillion dollars.. Yes, that's how much it will cost (or something like that). but number is over TEN YEARS. Not PER year.. Does anyone mention that? No, because it's easier to scare the shit out of people with 1 trillion a year in new spending then it is in 100 billion in new spending.. Over time, the actual TRUTH gets lost and forgotten.. Thus the whole damn debate is now based on Bullshit..

The Middle is almost.. almost... Where'd they go? Helllloooo?

Then you have the 2-3 actual intelligent decent people there doing the same thing I usually do, hitting their heads on the desk every time they turn on CNN or read the Bill they're about to vote for.. Knowing it's going to pass no matter what the hell they vote..

Meanwhile The General public is so goddamn under educated, uninformed, and just doesn't CARE to learn an understanding of the basic principals what they CLAIM to oppose..

I Still know people who think Obama is a secret Muslim agent.. /scream.

And while I'm bitching/ranting/fuming.... Anyone else find the huge pile madness of how "Consumer Confidence" is at an all time low is total and absolute bullshit? People are afraid to spend because all you see on 24 hour "news" channels is how we're all going to die in a firely pit of hell and pain that hasn't been seen since the last dark age.. Well Gee Wiz Batman, I'd be scared to spend money too thinking we're all going to DIE. You make them afraid they'll lose their jobs.. They stop spending.. Company starts seeing less sales, company loses money, People lose their Jobs.. Welcome to the Circle of "insert object into inappropriate place" Life. Stupidest system ever devised other then Communism... (The real kind.. not the Made up kind that masses of sheep seem to THINK Communism is...) Yet again truth is altered, and the truth is forgotten.

I. Simply. Hate. People. Nobody cares about the truth anymore... Nobody ever wants to admit they are wrong.. Nobody puts what is right, over wanting their "side" to win.. I'm fucking Disgusted with all of them..

Or maybe I just need my coffee.. Take your pick.
    Last edited by Morel42; November 29th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

(Chester County)

^^^^^^^^

I fear, that over time, IF the US gets a public health system, it will eventually morph into something akin to the British.
    Last edited by buster2209; November 29th, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

I fear, that over time, IF the US gets a public health system, it will eventually morph into something akin to the British.
    in due time my friend.
    FJB

(Lehigh County)

^^^^^^^^

Yea.. I fully admit I tend to go off on random ranting.. I plead guilty..

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    in due time my friend.
    Sigh, same arguement can be made for any (repeat) any sort of system..

Too much freedom leads to anarchy,
    Too little leads to Slavery
    Too little taxes lead to huge debt
    Too much leads to economic castration

I may go off on tantrums, but I've always said that a logical balance between both sides, with a good dose of common sense is the only thing that ever really worked in any human society.. If anything goes too far off balance the whole thing blows up quite nicely.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

^^^^^^^^

Given the level of control being exerted on companies that were "given" bail-out money and even some institutions that are deemed to be critical to financial stability (even if they didn't take bail-out money or have since paid it back), the level of control being exerted on the auto industry, the pay-backs for the unions and companies that contributed to a certain politician's career, statements of the PotUS and those who he surrounds himself regarding single payor systems I am 100% convinced that if the healthcare "reform" is passed we are starting down the road to having an NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Given the level of control being exerted on companies that were "given" bail-out money and even some institutions that are deemed to be critical to financial stability (even if they didn't take bail-out money or have since paid it back), the level of control being exerted on the auto industry, the pay-backs for the unions and companies that contributed to a certain politician's career, statements of the PotUS and those who he surrounds himself regarding single payor systems I am 100% convinced that if the healthcare "reform" is passed we are starting down the road to having an NHS.
    You are absolutely, 100% dead-on correct here.

Given what O himself has said about wanting single-payer, nationalized health care, and full-on "redistributive change," there is absolutely no reason to believe that he doesn't want government-run EVERYTHING.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    You are absolutely, 100% dead-on correct here.

Given what O himself has said about wanting single-payer, nationalized health care, and full-on "redistributive change," there is absolutely no reason to believe that he doesn't want government-run EVERYTHING.
    Correct. Obama has always said what he intended to do in a plainly delivered message. Those that voted for him either chose to ignore it or heard what they wanted. Either way, we are now stuck with this shitbirds vendetta to "fundmantally change America".
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001