Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default ~ Sure Winner Bar Bet ~ Which is longer? STG58 FAL rifle? Yugo SKS carbine?

Here's a Bar Bet Winner . . .

Which is longer? An SKS Carbine or an STG58 FAL rifle . . . ? Of course the cumbersome Austrian STG58 with the cartoon-like grenade launcher device is longer. Right? Nope . . . that's Wrong!

Finally got around to making a couple of pictures of these rifles side by side. Was interested to notice just a few days ago that the Yugoslavian SKS carbine is about an inch longer than an STG58 FAL rifle.

Posted two views below with alternate rifles on top and bottom. The camera position plays a slight optical trick in making the bottom rifle in the picture appear longer. The Yugo SKS carbine is in fact longer than a clumsy Austrian STG58 tomato stake rifle.

F.Y.I.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; November 28th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: ~ Sure Winner Bar Bet ~ Which is longer? STG58 FAL rifle? Yugo SKS carbine?

now if you want to toss your head around for a spin, add in an M1 Garand
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: ~ Sure Winner Bar Bet ~ Which is longer? STG58 FAL rifle? Yugo SKS carbine?

You may lose that bet on a technicality. The Yugo M59 is shorter, the M59/66 with grenade attachment is longer.

(York County)

Are those SKS' fun to shoot? I picked one up about 7 years ago-yes, 7 years. Still have not fired a shot through it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by benc4liberty View Post
    Are those SKS' fun to shoot? I picked one up about 7 years ago-yes, 7 years. Still have not fired a shot through it.
    I'll never understand that.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'll never understand that.
    When I was an over the road truck driver, I accumulated a fair amount of guns I never fired. Being home only a few days a month limited my range trips, but I was still able to hit some shops as well aquire guns through the local trader papers in the evenings.

(Monroe County)

I accumulated a fair amount of guns I never fired.
    Sounds like me. Fired 20 rounds through that STG58 about a month ago to see how it functioned. It did! Then, test shot a CETME and an AK for the same reason last summer. That's it! Prior to that, I've not fired a long arm of any kind in about 30-years. Could care less about shooting guns.

The interest in firearms is mostly from a historic and aesthetic standpoint. Really wouldn't know if an SKS battle rifle is "fun" to shoot or not. Probably owned at least 20 of the things, but have yet to fire an SKS.

Figure that before the revolution starts, I'll try to get in some range time.

(Bucks County)

Time to break that baby out of the cage, haven't fired mine yet but I just got it today.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1 View Post
    Time to break that baby out of the cage, haven't fired mine yet but I just got it today.
    Yeah, I'll break it out one day. I picked it up when I lived in MD. Wasn't interested in it too much, but it was like $70, all #'s match, and it's in great shape, seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

(York County)

Yeah, I'll break it out one day. I picked it up when I lived in MD. Wasn't interested in it too much, but it was like $70, all #'s match, and it's in great shape, seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.
    Make sure you give that puppy a good cleaning and make sure the firing pin is free before you shoot that SKS!
    After 7 years, I'm sure the firing pin would be sticking...

BTW, the pics show an SKS Rifle, not a carbine.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast