Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default MOssberg 930 SPX Shooting to high

I have a MOssberg 930 SPX with the LPA rear sights and fiber optic fron post. The gun is all stock. I could not get it to hit on a piece of printer paper at 25 yards yesterday with value pack Remington slugs. I have the rear sight cranked all the way down and it is still about 12" high. Has anyone else had issues with this? Does anyone have suggestions on what to do? I know some people have had issues with canting on the front sight but i am all centered up. I think I might be contacting mossberg. There is no point in pay $600 for a gun that you cant hit a piece of paper with.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: MOssberg 930 SPX Shooting to high

With no quick fix found on the internet i decided to email mossberg:

I recently purchased a Mossberg 930 SPX from dicks sporting goods. While sighting in the shotgun with riffled slugs I could not manage to get the groupings any closer than 9-12" high of the point of aim at 25 yds. I turned the elevation adjustment all the way down on the LPA sights with the 9-12" high grouping being the final result. I would like to have this problem remedied or to have it replaced with one of the shotguns tested by the people that did the reviews you quote on your website (The NRA/Shooting Illustrated called the Mossberg® 930™ SPX™ their "2009 Shotgun of the Year." We call it the best auto-loading home-defense shotgun money can buy. The 930 SPX was named "2009 Shotgun of the Year" by Shooting Illustrated magazine and recognized with the prestigious NRA Golden Bullseye Award for 2009). I am not thrilled that I just purchased a $600+ shotgun that will not hit what it is aimed at.

Thank you,

Tim

(Berks County)

To be fair, the 930 SPX was designed to be a close quarters shotgun, not a slug gun. Quoting reviews that likely didn't test fire slugs isn't lending any weight to your argument.

I haven't tried it myself, buy I have to believe that shooting value-pack rifled slugs out of an 18.5" barrel isn't going to provide much in the way of accuracy, even at 25yds. Remember, slugs are a shotgun adaptation, they're not really what the weapon was designed for. Even shotguns specifically designed as "slug guns" are in the end just a shotgun.

As far as the sights go, try using some kind of shot and see if it patterns at point of aim.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

ChamberedRound is spot regarding the specific reviews vs. argument, and a CQB/HS shotgun (scattergun) primary design is to make big holes in short distances.

That barrel design isn't condusive to slugs as the dimensions let the slug literally rattle, shake, and rock-n-roll down the barrel.

ButT that's not to say things can't be improved!

18" Cylinder bore is never going to be slug accurate at proper hunting distances
    Save the time, $$$, and frustration. I have extensive testing on various shotguns, slug designs & chokes. Those I've kept shoot 3 shot sub 1" groups @ 100yds, and 3" groups @ 175 yards. Spent alot of time & $$$ experimenting. For me that's fun. One Rem 1100 shoots best groups w/a tight smooth bore barrel & a 6" ported rifled choke tube. Outshoots both the Rem & Paradox fully rifled barrels.

Solutions:
    Buy 24" fully rifled barrel. If going to scope it, I'd still buy the rifled sights w/good removable rings so if scope gets damaged...there's a back up.

High POI w/all adjustments run out.
    Shoot shot & pattern.
    Try different ammo which makes a big difference.
    If POI still high....it's you. Don't get upset w/that statement. It's a common situation w/most shooters & scatterguns. Simply fixed by using adjusting the stock angle using shims so your eye alignment & fit is correct for that gun.
    If skeptical print a round. Then using another target set exactly the same...same ammo, install/remove a shim(s), and shot the second target. Center POI will move. Lot of good PROPER fitting info on the web.

Grouping=
    Try different ammo. You'll be shocked at the varied results. Have shooters w/expensive slug guns get best groups w/newer improved Foster style slugs, and Brenneke (my favorite) vs. sabots. Yet have had moderately price guns work best w/sabots.

Spend the time & $$$ to test, test, testing to dial in...then and only then will you know exactly what results to expect.

Happy & Safe Hunting!

(Centre County)

I find that when I shoot slug, mine group at around 4 or 5 inches at 25yds.
    Some higher then POA, some lower then POA
    But given the nature of weapon(Home defence/QCB), i find it its more then acceptable accuracy.
    Important thing is that if I aim at the badguy's center of mass at 25yds, i'll likely hit somewhere in the area of Mr Badguy that would at very least seriously incapacitate him.

As far as I'm concerned, its a QCB weapon as i priviously stated - and its not target weapon. I can hit target at 25+ if occasion calls for it, but otherwise my 930SPX is more then accurate enough for what I percieved as what 930SPX are designed for...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I just bought one today and I'm having the exact same problem.
    Sight cranked all the way down and still shooting slugs a foot high at 50 yards. 00 buckshot seems to be right on target at 25 yards though.
    I'm a pretty good shot and was putting my groups into 2+ inches at the 50 yard mark, using Federal 1oz. 2 3/4" slugs, so don't tell me this gun isn't a tight grouper.
    I'm calling Mossberg tomorrow about the sight. If enough people complain, maybe they'll give us a lower sight, rail, or both.
    Last edited by agksimon; December 21st, 2009 at 07:41 PM.

(Monroe County)

I have received no communications from Mossberg VIA email. I will have to call them as well. ON a higher note i did find out that it went on sale at dicks after i bought it. They gave $30 bucks back due to the sale price. That made me happy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    I just bought one today and I'm having the exact same problem.
    Sight cranked all the way down and still shooting slugs a foot high at 50 yards. 00 buckshot seems to be right on target at 25 yards though.
    I'm a pretty good shot and was putting my groups into 2+ inches at the 50 yard mark, using Federal 1oz. 2 3/4" slugs, so don't tell me this gun isn't a tight grouper.
    I'm calling Mossberg tomorrow about the sight. If enough people complain, maybe they'll give us a lower sight, rail, or both.
    It's all about the right tool for the right job, and the SPX just isn't a slug gun, no matter how much you want it to be. Next time, if you want to shoot slugs, try one of the 930 Slugsters instead of the SPX.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

A home defense shotgun should print dead on w/slugs at 50 yards. 12 inches high is unacceptable whether or not it is a "slug gun". My duty 870 police magnum prints 5 or 6 inch 50 yard groups under timed qualifying conditions (kneeling and standing). I never liked our previous Mossbergs. The safetys would not operate once the guns heated up. They also printed very high with slugs. For these reasons I will not ever use one for self defense. Remington and Benelli will always get my money.

Maybe Mossberg has a taller front sight they could send you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    A home defense shotgun should print dead on w/slugs at 50 yards. 12 inches high is unacceptable whether or not it is a "slug gun". My duty 870 police magnum prints 5 or 6 inch 50 yard groups under timed qualifying conditions (kneeling and standing). I never liked our previous Mossbergs. The safetys would not operate once the guns heated up. They also printed very high with slugs. For these reasons I will not ever use one for self defense. Remington and Benelli will always get my money.

Maybe Mossberg has a taller front sight they could send you. Good luck.

Mossberg has a new barrel with a taller front sight in route to me. They tested it before sending it and it will shoot to POA with the sights in the middle of the elevation setting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast