Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: MOssberg 930 SPX Shooting to high

I'm glad they took care of your problem. Hopefully your mossberg will serve you well. We'll see if they take care of everyone else with the same problem!

(Pike County)

The shop I talked to told me they can even get a Mossberg 930 SPX, the one I emailed from their web site that was so highly recommended on this forum didn't even bother to reply. These things still available? Should I fixate on some thing new?

(Monroe County)

I like mine but haven't had time to figure out the shooting high thing yet. Dicks sporting goods usually carry them. Hope that helps

I havent had any problems with POI with POA on my 930 SPX but I've had it for awhile and have had plenty of time to get used to it, mine has the ghost ring rear sights and fiber optic front sight. Now I admit that I dont shoot a lot of slugs at targets 50 yards away. That is not why I own this gun. I have better options for shooting at two/four legged animals 150 feet away. Now, for in my house for home defense, that is why I bought the 930SPX and am quite confident in its abilities.

(Monroe County)

I am not trying to hit targets at 50 yds, but that doesnt change the fact that it shouldnt be able to hit point of aim point of impact. If the slug is hitting 6- 12" high at 25 yds that means the center of the shot groupd will hit the same place. Im tired of people calling it a CQB gun. That should mean it wolnt hit what your aiming at our its ok to be 6" high.

On a side note. I shot one load of 7+1+1 through it today rapid fire and it fed just fine.

(Allegheny County)

But it's an 18" HD / CQB gun. No disrespect, but that's what it is.

I do however completely agree that it should hit what you are aiming at.

I don't have problems with slugs or buckshot with my 870 18" HD shotgun. However certain loads and brands do pattern WAY better in this gun than others. So I really think you jumped the gun shooting one round of el' cheapo Remington slugs and calling it 'broke'. IME "remington ammo" is by no means a judge of any weapon. Now I don't have problems with their slugs or buckshot in my shotgun. But Federal buckshot patterns better, and Winchester slugs group better. I did have good experience with the high velocity Remington slugs being dead nuts accurate however. At least inside the 50yds I shoot. (With a shotgun of similar length)

I do hope you get this all resolved to your satisfaction. But I'm surprised you haven't tried some different ammo first after buck shot patterned perfectly.

(Monroe County)

My 1992 made Mossy 500 will shoot into 3 inches at 50 yds dead on in the bullseye with the 18 inch "security barrel , with the 24 inch rifled barrel it will tear out the bullseye at 75 yds shooting Winchester supreme Foster type slugs, about 25 years ago i read a magazine article where the author states that the Winchester Foster type slugs will be dead on acurate in most shotguns, i find it so true.

Get rid of the cheap wally world ammo and try some some good qualit ammo in your gun before you pass judgement on the gun, i am sure that Mossberg didnt use cheap wally world ammo to test your spx during R&D they used good ammo , try another ammo,

When you sight your gun where does the front sight appear in the notch? If you are seeing the front sight you are going to hit high with a slug gun,the front sight must be almost dissappear from view for you to hit anything, its like shooting at night.

(Monroe County)

The rear sight is a ghost ring. I turned the back sight all the way down with the front centered in the rear ring. The gun was still shooting high so i put the front bead at the very bottom of the ring and still could not manage poa poi.

Ill try to track down some different ammo

(Westmoreland County)

There is definitely something wrong mechanically if you can't get it zeroed at 25 yards.

However, are you sure you're centering the front post in the rear aperture? With the "ghost ring" concept, your eye is supposed to "naturally find the center" of the aperture. If you try to force your eye to "find the center" you'll likely end up with allot of variation. Just to confirm it isn't you misinterpreting the front and rear sight alignment, ask one or two other people to shoot it and compare their results with yours.

Default Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Shooting too high

My new barrel will be here next Tuesday, January 5th, 2010.
    It is a known issue with the front sight being too low. The new barrel has the front sight an eighth inch higher. The problem happened because they added a rail on under the rear sight and that brought it up too high. I can keep my shots into a 2+ inch group at 50 yards, but a foot high, even with the rear sight down all the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast