Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Gun talk at Thanksgiving

So being it's Thanksgiving and all my house was filled with some close relatives.
    We sit and eat dinner but after dinner we are sitting there talking about different topics. The DMV(mother works there) robberies(mother in law was robbed recently) and guns(increase in crime).
    The conversation started off with the DMV and my mother talking about the crazy people who she deals with in a daily basis. Then talked about the recent increase in robberies. This is where I chimed in and talked about gun ownership. Shocked my father and mother in law were very interested in talking about laws and gun ownership.
    I just happened to have a few gun rights fliers printed off that I was going to put in my car. So I handed them out. This is where it got interesting. My mother sat there very silent and I could tell she don't like the idea of me owning guns. But she respects it and leaves it at that. We talked about Meleanie's incounter at the soccer field a few years back. My mother, like my wife, didn't understand why someone would need to carry a gun to a soccer game.
    I said to my mother... Mom, you work at the DMV, next door to the dmv is the prison. Across the street is a retirement home. On the other side of the prison are soccer fields. Would you want me playing there if i was 10 years old again? I asked her if she felt safe working next to a prison? she said the prison isn't the problem it's the crazy people who get very angry with her when they don't have the correct info needed for a license. I said wouldn't you feel more safe if you had some way to protect yourself instead of depending on some guard at the over crowed prison or a co-worker? She stated the guards and co-workers would protect her and the building around the prison. I said really? who told you that? Do you have drills for what would happen if there was a break? Is there a co-worker that is trained for serious incounters with pissed off people? I could see she was getting upset and uncomfortable so I started talking to my mother in law again and she was asking lots and lots of questions. After about an hour of talking about it to her I simply stated would you like to go shooting sometime after your knee is healed from your surgery? She got wide eyed and excited but tried to hide it. I seen right threw it. She was hesitant about accepting so I left it as, call me if your interested. I'm always willing to help.
    My dad chimed in now and again asking questions. He said years ago he had permit to purchace in Jersey and if he needed one in PA? I told him no it's not needed. All in all it was a very good conversation. Mom will need a bit more time. I think in time she will understand.
    Just thought I would share

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Gun talk at Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Papuppyowner View Post
    We talked about Meleanie's incounter at the soccer field a few years back. My mother, like my wife, didn't understand why someone would need to carry a gun to a soccer game.
    Seems like longer, but this was only a little over a year ago. The "incident" happened on 9/11/08, and her LTCF was revoked just a couple of days later.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

was York, now it's Pawley's Island, South Carolina

Well done. It's those type of casual conversations that can make all the difference in the world.

(Lehigh County)

Good job. I wish I could convince my in-laws like you did. Just the mention of a gun, any gun and they get all nervous. I have been begging my BLI/SIL to let me take my nephews (5 and 9) to shoot BB guns with my son and I. They won't even consider it. I offered to let them come along and supervise, still no dice. They are not anti-gun but they are scared shitless of them.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Pike County)

Good work, seeds planted, now see what grows.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Seems like longer, but this was only a little over a year ago. The "incident" happened on 9/11/08, and her LTCF was revoked just a couple of days later.
    I stand corrected, your right it does seem longer.

I think the more I talk to my mother, in short intervals, about it expressing what I know and the things I have learned and been taught that she will become more accepting. She's always trusted my judgment so I suspect it will just take sometime for her.

(Mercer County)

Good job on discussion!
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Monroe County)

Sounds like you did a good job. Hopefully you can get your mother-in-law to shoot and show her the fun aspect of it.

(Philadelphia County)

Whenever I have a "gun discussion" with people, I always try and emphasize that whether they are for or against guns, there is a bigger issue at hand. And that issue is freedom. Whether they like or don't like guns, the right to choose the way we protect ourselves and our family should not be chosen by the government or anybody else for that matter.

What I really love about the firearms community, especially here at PAFOA, is the way we are in tuned to what is going on in reality. We are very informed about everything from American history to contemporary law. It seems that we are the few that really care about what our country is doing, both abroad and here at home. It also seems like we are the only ones left who are fighting for our rights as Americans while our fellow countrymen try to take those God given rights away. Like I mentioned before, they don't see the 2nd amendment as part of the big picture. Rant over.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Westmoreland County)

You did a good job. I took my mother (late 60s) to the pistol range with me, she lliked it so much that she got herself a Ruger .22 pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast