Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for daily carry?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fixed blade

8 10.67%
  • Folder

51 68.00%
  • One of each

16 21.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Knife preferences

I was flipping through a few knife catalogs today and started thinking. There are some really good folding knives out there but I really prefer having a fixed blade knife.

Don't get me wrong, I have a small folder for little uses I come up with for it everyday. But if I had my choice I'd carry a decent fixed blade knife a little smaller than a KABAR.

No serrations on the blade, no weird designs. Just a good solid fixed blade knife. How about you guys? Do you prefer a folder or a fixed blade knife for everday use?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Knife preferences

A well maintained and sharpened quality 3 inch folding blade is perfect for WROL carry. If SHTF I might reconsider and would most likely carry a fixed blade concealed, depending on the situation.

Carrying a cell phone, wallet, gun, and mag pouch, is enough as it is.
    (^^and my folder.) I just can't think of any practical reasons for carrying a 6 - 8 inch fixed blade on me every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

A blade is a tool just like everything else. No one blade can do every deed. Always best to have all kinds. But for my main carry I use a 4" tanto folder with a window punch and seat belt cutter.
    I've got a little stash of folders to use.
    But I have other much larger choices as well.
    Last edited by rovert97; November 25th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

I carry a folder, I don't know the first thing about using a blade as a weapon. If I did, its my understanding that a fixed blade would be much better for SD. I do own them though. Edit: If you CAN carry a fixed (EDC) then I guess it would be better if ever you would need a knife for SD, but I think most of the trained people in the know are going to tell you that if you come across somebody that knows what they are doing with a knife. You are going to be shit out of luck weather you have a knife, gun or RPG. (under 21 ft anyway)

Funny story: My boss at work was walking out behind me one day and happened to see my Kershaw Leek clipped to my back pocket, I kid you not, he caught up to me and said, "Is that a weapon"!!.

Last edited by YBNORMAL; November 25th, 2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: clerify post
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Erie County)

I've always carried folders. Fixed blades are nice too, I just haven't found one that I can carry comfortably everywhere yet. My folders clip to my pocket and I forget they're there until I need them.

(Bucks County)

I voted one of each because it's the choice closest to what I carry. I actually carry at least one fixed blade (sometimes two) and several folders.

(Northumberland County)

i carry a folding Gerber remix knife, if SHTF my fixed blade knife will become my Samurai sword

(Lehigh County)

I have a CRKT M16 folder for daily carry and my trusty K-Bar. I bought the K-Bar more than 20 yrs ago when I graduated from the USMC School of Infantry.

I had a SPAX issued to me for deployment, but had to turn it in. I will be getting one of my own in the near future. This will be my SHTF fixed blade:

http://www.osograndeknives.com/Ontar...422_small1.jpg
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    I was flipping through a few knife catalogs today and started thinking. There are some really good folding knives out there but I really prefer having a fixed blade knife.

Don't get me wrong, I have a small folder for little uses I come up with for it everyday. But if I had my choice I'd carry a decent fixed blade knife a little smaller than a KABAR.

No serrations on the blade, no weird designs. Just a good solid fixed blade knife. How about you guys? Do you prefer a folder or a fixed blade knife for everday use?
    You may want to check local ordinances for knife carry laws before you make a purchase. I assume you're not carrying it for self-defense since you didn't mention anything about it.

On a side note:
    If you do deploy a "combat" or "mean looking" knife (as opposed to a basic pocket knife) for self-defense, I'm thinking the jury would hang you after the DA showed them what you used. One final thought, at what point do you decide to deploy a knife for self-defense? Would you use it to keep your wallet, car, or laptop if someone requested them from you? Would you deploy it in a fist fight or a scuffle with a unarmed bad guy? Would you attempt to deploy it against a bad guy with a gun? Food for thought

More discussion can be found here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ry-law-pa.html

Last edited by Hawk; November 25th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
    Toujours pręt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    One final thought, at what point do you decide to deploy a knife for self-defense?
    Only when deadly force is warranted. That is, unless you want to find out what prison is like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast