Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default What is the best 7.62x39 ammo for hunting deer?

It is obvious that soft points would be the best choice but which brand do you suggest?

Are there any soft point boat tail rounds on the market?

What is the best bullet weight and what kind of range would it have?

Thanks guys in advance! ... ... ...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What is the best 7.62x39 ammo for hunting deer?

just curious... what 7.62x39 chambered rifle are you hunting with?

a standard Wolf SP (154 gr?) would be sufficent out to 100+ yards, most importantly is how accurate can you shoot it? if you can't get a solid group at 100 yards don't take it out. The bullet will do the damage as long as you put it in the right spot
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Clinton County)

I knew I was going to peak someones curiosity when I said 7.62x39. I am using a yugoslavian sks and if you would like to know how in the world i can get away with using it (which is probably what you're thinking) i can gladly explain how its done.

The wolf was my choice as its WAY cheaper than the Winchester ammo, but at least with the brass [cased] winchester ammo i can save the casings for reloading. But i don't reload ammo right now so i would probably go with the cheaper wolf ammo. I have never shot wolf through my sks yet. All i have right now is golden tiger and they are the FMJBT rounds that would not make an effective hunting round. I have never had any problems with golden tiger at all but i dont think they make soft points.
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; November 25th, 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I knew I was going to peak someones curiosity when I said 7.62x39. I am using a yugoslavian sks and if you would like to know how in the world i can get away with using it (which is probably what you're thinking) i can gladly explain how its done.

The wolf was my choice as its WAY cheaper than the Winchester ammo, but at least with the brass coated winchester ammo i can save the casings for reloading. But i don't reload ammo right now so i would probably go with the cheaper wolf ammo. I have never shot wolf through my sks yet. All i have right now is golden tiger and they are the FMJBT rounds that would not make an effective hunting round. I have never had any problems with golden tiger at all but i dont think they make soft points.
    I know how it can be done by replacing the gas tube. We've been through this before on these boards... imho an SKS is a horrible choice for a hunting rifle as i have yet to see one that shoots with the accuracy I would want out of a hunting rifle, but thats my opinion.

I would absolutely be prepared to prove to a WCO that your SKS is single shot only as you will be questioned on it.

If its the only rifle you have then so be it, but its a piss poor hunting rifle

'as for ammo you absolutely MUST shoot your ammo choice prior to going in the woods. I had a Yugo SKS (59/66 and a 59) and the point of impact between Wolf HP (122 gr) Wolf SP (154 gr), Tiger FMJ (125 gr? can't remember) all shot differently, all had different impact points at 50 yards, at 100 yards they were all garbage and I did as much to my SKS to improve accuracy as I could, except replace barrels, including shock absorbers, trigger jobs, sights... etc.
    Last edited by Dredly; November 24th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

The wolf was my choice as its WAY cheaper than the Winchester ammo, but at least with the brass coated winchester ammo i can save the casings for reloading. But i don't reload ammo right now so i would probably go with the cheaper wolf ammo. I have never shot wolf through my sks yet. All i have right now is golden tiger and they are the FMJBT rounds that would not make an effective hunting round. I have never had any problems with golden tiger at all but i dont think they make soft points.
    Please explain...

I am guessing you are going to remove the integral magazine and move the rifle grenade switch to bypass? If this is the case, make sure you do not have the means to load more than 1 round in the rifle at a time. The switch positioned in bypass does not make it a "manually operated" rifle. The WCO will stop you and cite you for this. You could loose your hunting priveledges for this.

Personally I think the rule should be changed so we can hunt with semi autos, but I don't get to make that call.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Clinton County)

All you have to do is make it unable to readily use it in semi-auto. PGC says the removal of the gas piston is acceptable and thats what i will do. As for accuracy of the rifle i would beg to differ there. At least mine anyway, the sks is VERY accurate at 100 yards and would be easy to place a vital shot on a deer. My range time would show this accuracy. The bore is in excellent condition and as for the 500 rounds of ammo i have shot through it so far i havn't had a single issue with accuracy problems. Other people may be different, my gun is in good shape and i am a good shot. I can only speak for myself.
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; November 25th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo

(Allegheny County)

All you have to do is make it unable to readily use it in semi-auto. PGC says the removal of the gas piston is acceptable and thats what i will do. As for accuracy of the rifle i would beg to differ there. At least mine anyway, the sks is VERY accurate at 100 yards and would be easy to place a vital shot on a deer. My range time would show this accuracy. The bore is in excellent condition and as for the 500 rounds of ammo i have shot through it so far i hav'nt had a single issue with accuracy problems. Other people may be different, my gun is in good shape and i am a good shot. I can only speak for myself.
    I hope you are right about that.

I recall a long, long thread on this very subject, but can't recall the final consensus, or whether anyone provided proof that the Game Commission allows it. I thought the modification had to be permanent, but I could be wrong.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

First off, make sure that your gas piston is left at home, not in the car or your lunch bag. Same as your FMJ ammo, having either in your possesion will get you a fine and probably loss of you hunting license for a couple of years.

Next, Winchester and Federal make hunting grade ammo, should be able to find it for about $23-$25 a box, not outragous, but not cheap. But considering the cost of your SKS, spending a few bucks for soft point ammo shouldn't hurt that bad.

Now, if it were me, (and actually it was me, with a Russian SKS about 12 years ago) I would use one of the steel cased hollow point russian ammos out there. Wolf, Silver or Brown Bear, ect... these will work just fine and you don't have to worry about picking up cases.
    You should be able to find a box of these somewhere, even at Dunhams, Gander Mtn, Dicks if need be for about $6 or less for 20.

If you really, really want to save money, grind about an 1/8 inch off the points of your FMJs, instant flatnosed lead points.

Loaded Boat tails made just for hunting purposes, if they are even made, would be better suited in a bolt gun like one of the CZ ones out there in 7.62X39. I feel that they would be overkill in a gun like your sks. Not to pee on your parade, but while the sks will get the job done as a deer rifle, it is not a tackdriver and boat tails isn't going to make it one.

If you are using open sights, considering the sights themselves, I wold figure on a range of 100yds, although the round itself is adequate for a kill farther out.

BTW, Winchester is brass cased, not coated.

So,
    I would go with cheap hollowpoints,
    leave the piston and FMJs at home.
    Good luck & stay safe.

(Clinton County)

I thought that too but i was wrong. Both my local PGC office and the state headquarters confirmed that it was legal today. It does not have to be permanent. Only modified to disable the ability to be readily turned into a semi auto is required.

(Clinton County)

"BTW, Winchester is brass cased, not coated."

Lol, typo, i meant brass cased.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast