Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default What to wear hunting?

Simple question, I am going hunting for my first time on opening day. I'll be going about an hour and a half northwest of Penn State with my friend. I know I'll need the required orange but what do people wear? I was planning on using my hiking boots (with toe warmers...), ski socks, thermal bottoms and top, and then I wasn't sure. I have some multicam ACU's that my friend gave me but I'm not sure how important camo is since you are required to be bright orange. Just trying to get an idea of what others wear to stay warm and if anyone had suggestions for gloves that allow you to access the trigger.

Thanks!

(Clinton County)

Default Re: What to wear hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Simple question, I am going hunting for my first time on opening day. I'll be going about an hour and a half northwest of Penn State with my friend. I know I'll need the required orange but what do people wear? I was planning on using my hiking boots (with toe warmers...), ski socks, thermal bottoms and top, and then I wasn't sure. I have some multicam ACU's that my friend gave me but I'm not sure how important camo is since you are required to be bright orange. Just trying to get an idea of what others wear to stay warm and if anyone had suggestions for gloves that allow you to access the trigger.

Thanks!
    I would suggest anything that will keep you warm and dry. Also you can't beat a good pair of comfortable and sturdy boots.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post

Thanks!

I layer my clothes. Long sleeved T, a couple thermals over this. quilted shirt, Waist length camo orange jacket , camo orange gortex outer jacket.

I primarily post most of the day so I bundle up more than years ago when my knees let me walk more. Now I just get up and move when I'm cold.

My day pack has straps that I put any clothes I'm not wearing onto. When i walk into the woods a mile or 2, I usually take off the first long sleeved T, towel down any sweat with it and put it into the pack. When my body cools somewhat, I start putting stuff back on. I also have a bandanna under my hat so any sweat won't absorb into the hat liner.
    Dry is good. If it's warmer, I don't put my outer shell gortex pants on but opt for a lightweight gortex camo pant just so my butt doesn't get wet when i post for hours.

My gloves allow me to put the finger into the guard. If it's really cold, I put handwarmers on the backside of the inside of my gloves.

Dry is good. Waterproof sturdy boots are a must. Multiple socks. Add toe warmers if needed.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Monroe County)

Looks like you're good to go.
    Camo isn't required and humanoids have been hunting for millions of years without camo, and they've been successful. Atleast the ones that are still around today, ie; us. Just keep down wind from your kill zone and move quietly as possible.

As far as gloves, I bought a pair of UnderArmour Cold Weather Shooting Gloves. I'll find a link for you in a moment. I didn't get mine in camo, but they're dark blue and black. They are warm as hell, obviously meant for cold weather shooting. They worked to keep my hands warm down to around 10-15 degree's, then you probably would want to throw a thin goretex glove underneath, if you can't handle the cold. There is material on the glove to help grip your gun, and the trigger finger on both hands can be folded back, exposing enough of your finger to allow sensitive manipulation of the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Adams County)

Good advice here on what type pants to wear while hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq2EurArgDk

Sorry, just couldn't resist. I LMAO every time I see this part.

(Somerset County)

DuBois/ Brockway area? If you're going across I-80, stop in Clearfield at Grices and/or Bob's Army Navy. They'll have what you need.

The forecast for the first couple of day is lows in the 30's, highs in the 40's so it won't be bad, don't get too heavy of a glove or your hands will sweat and then get cold.

Dale

I always go for waterproof and quiet. Either something Goretex or if no rain is expected I wear wool. Also dress in layers. You can always take off clothes if you're hot but if don't have enough you'll freeze. One thing I learned is sweat will make you freeze your ass off. If you have a long hike in wear as little as possible to keep from sweating and pack in your warm clothes. For base layers I usually wear silk (sounds gay I know) or polypro thermal underwear. Cotton is the worst. Also wool socks are a must. keep in mind what kind of hunting you are going to do. If you're sitting all day and it's windy 30 degrees can be mighty cold. When it's really cold these things are the shit, just pick one up in blaze orange:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Wayne County)

Plenty of good advice above. Especially 27hand and Yoder. My advice would be, wear what you have until you decide if you are going to like hunting. There is no sense going out and spending $500 on Under Armor, Goretex insulated hunting suit and mountaineering boots if you decide that you aren't going to go back out next year.

Take inventory on what you have at home.

Work boots? Check. Supplement w/ a $7 pair of wool socks and some poly pro liners. Take two pair and change liners to dry pair after hiking in.

Insullated bibs/coveralls/ski pants? Check. Who cares what color they are for rifle season. Deer are color blind anyway and you will be wearing flo-orange anyway. If you don't have insullated pants try layering a couple pairs of sweat pants.

Stocking cap? Check. It may have your favorite sports team logo on it but, again, who cares. Your head will be warm.

Gloves? Check. Just make sure they are small enough for you to get your finger in the trigger guard of your rifle. I personally wear very light gloves even during the late season. If it gets really cold I stick a couple heat packs into one of those tubular hand warming muffs like quarterbacks use. Walmart has 'em for under $10. Or, here's a thought, your coat pockets.

Rain gear? Possibly. If not, good rain gear can be had for cheap. I work outside a LOT in good weather and bad. Gore Tex is nice but too expensive for heavy use. PVC rain gear will keep you dry in the nastiest stuff out there. If you have a good base layer of polypro and fleece/wool, you won't have any moisture problems. You may get a bit damp inside by the end of the day but, know this, even Gore Tex gets damp inside after a while. Especially once the outer layer saturates through the DWR.

Good luck on your first hunt, enjoy the sport and don't get caught up in the marketing.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Find out from your buddy what kind of hunting you will be doing. Do you have a long walk to your spot? Are you going to ride a quad back to a heated box stand? Will you, being the "new guy", be called upon to be a pusher on every drive? These will answer your questions. I have a long walk into my spot. I wear light clothing with an orange ball style cap and construction vest till I get to my spot. Pull out the bibs and heavy jacket, insulated socks, and hand warmer from my pack once I get set up. Better to be a bit chilled on the way in than get your heavy clothes soaked with sweat. Just ask your bud and you should be good. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
    Jules