Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What is the best 7.62x39 ammo for hunting deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Your typical man weighs more than your typical whitetail. Are you saying the NAA sucks?

Lycanthat'sfinethrope
    Re-read my post and adjust.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

how about evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvverybody being a douche in this thread, just stop...

x39 is well sufficient for whitetail...my friend in Alaska takes his limit in Caribou every year with a AK-47 semi, and wolf softnose ammo...which makes a MESS inside... i've seen the pics.
    they fall straight down... and a caribou is significantly larger than a whitetail.

Friends in WV also take tons of deer with an SKS...its a well known gun for deer.

now, obviously here, a hunter has the responsibility to take game in a manner as swiftly and mercifully as possible... this means hitting your prey in a kill zone immediately...

your responsibility is to use a weapon capable of doing this in your hands.
    If its not capable of doing this... use another.

either practice like hell with the SKS, with an accurate load, or go with another gun

lets keep this civil folks... some of the comments in this thread are close to crossing the line.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Lycan, I opined based on my morality and hunting ethics. I also said, "go for it". It's his hunt, not mine. Therefore, to be absolutely clear, I hope the OP enjoys hunting with his 7.62x39. If it rains, take some garbage bags to round out the Busch League approach - great disposable ponchos.

But, I'd never tell him to stop or approve of someone stopping him. Just wish that he'd Hunt with his 7mm.
    I hunt with my 7.62x39... gonna tell me my morals and ethics are wrong also?

16" chrome lined barrel.. same ballistics as if i was hunting with an AK-47

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Lycan, I opined based on my morality and hunting ethics. I also said, "go for it". It's his hunt, not mine. Therefore, to be absolutely clear, I hope the OP enjoys hunting with his 7.62x39. If it rains, take some garbage bags to round out the Busch League approach - great disposable ponchos.

But, I'd never tell him to stop or approve of someone stopping him. Just wish that he'd Hunt with his 7mm.
    My point is that if we chastise him for hunting with the SKS then we have to chastise everyone hunting with a revolver that cannot hold 1moa at 100 yards...........or bow hunters.............

Honestly.....if he holds his shots to 50 yards.......and that's a 3 inch group.....how many bow hunters can do that all day?

I know a lot of shooters. I know most of them cannot shoot 1 moa all day long. I also know a lot of centerfire rifles that just plain suck. I have a .300 WBY that shot 6 moa at 100 yards with several types of ammo until I bedded it, floated it and then ground the feed ramp to allow an OAL that was .020 over maximum......and even then it only shot 2 moa until I changed powder.

I did reread your post on the NAA and see no reason to readjust.

PERSONALLY, I hate rifles that cannot shoot at least 1 moa, but I won't tell someone they can't do it based on their values.

I once took the .35 remington pump out with irons to hunt doe......just to be sporting (Since 1981 I've shot at least one deer and my longest deer headshot is 330 yards with the STW). If someone told me I should have used a garbage bag instead of a poncho.......I'd have considered THEM bush league.

Lycanso?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Clinton County)

You know i had a friendly private conversation with Dredly and i informed him that I am fully aware of the comparisons between my scoped 7mm08 and my iron sighted sks. I went on to inform him that i have enough sense to use the scope rifle for long range (a.k.a. in a field) and was only interested in using the sks for short range (a.k.a in the woods). Of course im not taking 2-300 yard shots with open sights and hoping for the best. I know its stupid even if it CAN be done. On opening day i will be on farmland in the fields with my scoped 7mm08. After that if i want to go on the mountain i will try using the sks. Does this sound reasonable? I know its a touchy subject but can everyone at least see where i am coming from? I didn't want this topic going off on a tangent like it has done but i guess there aren't enough topics on this for people to spill their opinions about using "evil looking guns" for hunting in so this topic got it. Thanks to all the guys that stayed on subject and actually helped me out with their 7.62x39 round reccomendations.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I hunt with my 7.62x39... gonna tell me my morals and ethics are wrong also?

16" chrome lined barrel.. same ballistics as if i was hunting with an AK-47

I am not intimately familiar with that type of rifle. Do you have to dismantle any of its features to hunt with it or leave any of its parts at home?

Jay, I know that you see my forest and its trees. I'm not attacking the caliber nor "on the attack" in general.
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    why would you use an SKS instead of your 7mm?
    good thing "respect for the animal" isn't on your list... going with an un-accurate weapon compared to an accurate one because its cheaper is just laughable.
    These are incredibly ironic statements to hear coming from a bow hunter.

Same argument I hear people use against bow hunting.

Just sayin'

As long as the tool is used within it's capability I see zero problem here.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 25th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    These are incredibly ironic statements to hear coming from a bow hunter.

Same argument I hear people use against bow hunting.

Just sayin'

As long as the tool is used within it's capability I see zero problem here.
    I can shoot a 2" group at 30 yards with my bow and will not take a shot beyond 30 yards which is my very effective kill range.

If I shot a 6" group at 30 yards I wouldn't be shooting at 30 yards. I really don't see the comparison.

**for the record I never said anything about the 7.62x39 round, or other rifles that shoot this round... just the rifle in question. 6" MOA combined with nerves and adrenalin, poor rest/position... etc.

I can shoot about 1" MOA off a bench with my 30.06... do I think I can hold that same pattern on a deer at 100 yards while I'm shaking, freezing... etc? nope, but I owe it to the deer to have the most accurate rifle possible to help me compensate for the conditions I'll be shooting in.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

I can shoot a 2" group at 30 yards with my bow and will not take a shot beyond 30 yards which is my very effective kill range.
    Right, and the op should limit his shots to the effective range of his rifle, him and the weather.
    Providing he does that, you're just proving my point.

If I shot a 6" group at 30 yards I wouldn't be shooting at 30 yards. I really don't see the comparison.

**for the record I never said anything about the 7.62x39 round, or other rifles that shoot this round... just the rifle in question. 6" MOA combined with nerves and adrenalin, poor rest/position... etc.
    You are suggesting facts not in evidence. Typical SKS, with irons, is more accurate than 6moa.
    And if it wasn't, it is still more accurate than most bow/bowhunter combos. The larger point is it matters not which one is more accurate. It onlymatters that it is used within it's capability.
    A 6moa rifle is a perfectly legitimate tool for shorter ranges. Ranges where 6moa is within acceptable limits. Just like a handgun or a bow.

Every hunting tool and every hunter has an effective range given the conditions of the hunt. So again, as long as the hunter exercises control and judgment, to limit shots to within those limits. Where is the problem?

I can shoot about 1" MOA off a bench with my 30.06... do I think I can hold that same pattern on a deer at 100 yards while I'm shaking, freezing... etc? nope, but I owe it to the deer to have the most accurate rifle possible to help me compensate for the conditions I'll be shooting in.
    So by this logic, anyone bow hunting with traditional equipment "owes it to the deer" to immediately go out and buy the most modern top end compound, with whatever wiz-bang sights are cool now, a release, etc, etc.
    Anyone who hunts with a handgun "owes it to the deer" to go by a scoped 30-06..

It's nonsense.

The OP wants to hunt with a rifle. Just like a handgun hunter, he *could* use a scoped 30-06 bolt gun. Not relevant. Provided the hunter learns the limitations and hunts within those limitations there is no problem. Hunt ethically and the tool is 100% irrelevant. Not to mention that the inverse is true, in that an unethical hunter will be no more ethical with a scoped 30-06 than they would be with any other tool.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 25th, 2009 at 11:26 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Clinton County)

When it comes to 6 inches at 100 yards i want to clarify that that is off the shoulder. I dont have a bench rest so i have never done it that way. If i DID have a bench rest i see no reason why the sks couldn't drive nails either. I don't think people give it enough credit seeing how many surplus rifles are out there in "poor shape". The bore of my sks is in tip top shape as well as the rest of the rifle. If it had to be rated using the NRA scale it would be in VERY GOOD condition. I guarantee you the sks is FAR more accurate than ANY ak47 on a good day.
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; November 25th, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast