Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .22lr handgun - 15 yard Paper Plate Challenge! Thanksgiving 2009

this is just a copy/paste from the 2008 competition which got little to know response so lets do it again. edited and deleted some stuff that was about last years.

ALL ENTRYS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MONDAY NOVEMBER 30th, 2009

most people have some time off for thanksgiving and for those who dont there is saterday and sunday so get out there and shoot

A good portion (if not majority) of shooters have at least one .22lr handgun. They're cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and tons of fun. I chose the venerable paper plate as the target for this specific challenge because they're available everywhere, and also cheap. And lastly, I chose 15 yards as the range because it's a fairly common predetermined range at most shooting locales, and it's not too far for shooting rimfire pistols with iron sights, but not too close as to present no challenge for the more accurate folks among us. So anyway, here are the rules:

Pistols and revolvers chambered in .22 Long Rifle only! Revolvers that are chambered for .22 Magnum but can shoot .22lr are also acceptable, just make sure you're only loading .22lr.

Any factory .22lr ammunition up to and including CCI Stinger rounds is allowed.

Paper plate of any size is considered an acceptable target. Dots or markers for the center of the plate are permitted.

Off hand, standing shooting only! No benchrests, sandbags, prone or sitting position. One or two hands is fine.

No telescopic sights. Iron sights and otherwise non-magnifying sights (such as red dots or laser sights) are permitted.

Whoever gets the smallest 5-shot group on their plate will be declared the winner. Groups are measured from center of hole to center of hole between the two most divergent holes in the group. Alternatively, you can measure from same-side edges of both holes (the number should be the same using either measurement method). Posting a picture of your paper plate and official entry group (one per contestant!) with a ruler or tape measure for scale is required. Please also list the ammo you're using as well as your make/model of gun.

The deadline for this contest is Monday, November 30th, 2009. All entries must be posted by then. The winner will receive absolutely nothing just respect and maybe some rep from everybody Any questions or comments, feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck and happy shooting.
    Last edited by xXWildPonyXx; November 25th, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: .22lr handgun - 25 yard Paper Plate Challenge! Thanksgiving 2009

As the creator of the previous competition, I would respectfully suggest that the range be reduced to 15 yards; it's a lot harder to get any respectable grouping at 25 yards, off-hand, with a pistol than it may seem...

Last year my best group was still all over the plate, at least 8". now granted that was all my fault and not the gun's, but reducing the range to 15 yards (still 45 feet) may make this contest more accessible to the less-perfect handgunners (and those will less than perfect eye sight) on the forum.
    Last edited by General Geoff; November 24th, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Default Re: .22lr handgun - 15 yard Paper Plate Challenge! Thanksgiving 2009

alright changed it too 15 yards that should help some... so we will see as target from you then i guess?

(Lehigh County)

Gearing up to head to the range right now

i have my .22 sitting next to my desk here at work so i can go when im done working :-)

(Lehigh County)

Ok, I probably won't win with this, but here's the best I mustered today before I packed up due to rain.

(Click for full size)

Smith & Wesson Model 63, shooting American Eagle lead solid nose .22lr, 15 yards standing offhand. 2.25" group.

ETA: Surprisingly enough, that group was done shooting double action; I couldn't get under 4" shooting single action...
    Last edited by General Geoff; November 25th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

(York County)

I am SOOOOOOOOO in. Wasn't sure what you were referring to today, Dave but now I understand!!!

OK...gonna get to the range again tomorrow and shoot to get this going!

John

(Adams County)

Here is my official entry for the competition.

15 yards
    5 shots, off hand
    Ruger MKII Government Target Model, Opn sights
    Federal Bulk pack 22LRs.

All pictures taken with LG Voyager Cell Phone

My Official entry plate, it was try #8

This one pissed me off, the flyer was either shot 3 or 4.

I also tried some Aguila SSS 60grains, 3 of the 5 keyholed.

Picture of the Aguila SSSs along with some Super Colibris. The Super Colibris are very quiet in my rifle. At 15 yards, they

shot about 2 inches low. Not enough power to cycle a semi though.

Finally, the view from 15 yards

I started off shooting Weaver, which is more comfortable to me, even though I know the inherant benefits of Isoceles. I did

find that my groups were smaller shooting ISO. For me, weaver is faster (and accurate enough) up close, but the gun (sights)

seems to move around less shooting ISO at distance. Maybe if I work on my ISO before qualifications next year I won't lose 15

points at 25yards.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

well this saterday at the york meal and a shoot i did this and i have my paper plate thanks to john for bringing some plates as targets. computer steve and i both shot our plates and i had 1 hole in my plate so i am just going to assume all of mine went through that single hole, so i am claiming myself as the winner. :-)

but i might be disqualified since my target is in the back of my M-I-L's car that is in hunt valley and im not sure if it will be back in time for me to post a picture tonight. so i guess i forfeit my win :-(

alright so whats the next internet competition

(York County)

Wait....!!!! I still have a few hours of daylight left to get to the range!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast