Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Just got back from my first time attending (not shooting) an IDPA match. Need Advice

Ok guys. I went over to Double Action tonight and watched them do their Monthly IDPA shooting. I've never been before so it was pretty exciting. I plan to participate next month and I'm looking for any suggestions from people. I will either be shooting a Glock 19 or a Glock 22.

I've never done this before, so any information is probably new information to me.
    Last edited by danp; February 17th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Cambria County)

The best source for information are the guys that are shoot the game. I go hooked in IPSC/USPSA the same way. The only thing is I went to the last match of the year (October) and had to wait till March to shoot the next match. Gave me time to get geared up. Para 16-40, extra mags with Dawson +2 base pads, Safariland belt, holster, and mag pouches. Even went and bought a Dillon square deal press (along with 2 friends shooting 40 SW).
    Eight years later and many thousands of dollars I'm still at it. Replaced the Para with an STI (LIMITED) in 40 and a SV in 38 super (OPEN) S&W 610 for revolver, Wilson Combat CQB fro L10, and a Glock 34 for Production.. Sold the square deal and a 550 and am on a 650.

Quote Originally Posted by danp
    Ok guys. I went over to Double Action tonight and watched them do their Monthly IDPA shooting. I've never been before so it was pretty exciting. I plan to participate next month and I'm looking for any suggestions from people. I will either be shooting a Glock 19 or a Glock 22.

I've never done this before, so any information is probably new information to me.
    You probably want to contact Bib, one of the people here, He is the IDPA person for the GPGC. He will tell you what to and what not to expect there. What you will need and what will be overkill.
    The IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) sanctions matches that simulate self-defense situations. These matches are NOT training, nor do they teach tactics—they call upon techniques that may be necessary in coming out a winner in a self-defense scenario. These matches call for the use of guns and equipment that would normally be used for concealed carry. If you will be shooting matches this year, make an effort to familiarize yourself with IDPA rules. You can check out the rule book on-line at IDPA.COM. IDPA membership is $30/yr. If you are interested in joining IDPA or participating in our matches.
    What is Defensive Pistol Shooting?
    Defensive pistol shooting as a sport is quite simply the use of practical equipment & full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios. Practical equipment would mean handguns and holsters that are truly suitable for self-defense use. No “competition only” equipment is permitted in Defensive Pistol events since the main goal is to test the skill and ability of an individual, not his or her equipment or gamesmanship.
    Other shooting sports have no relevance to self-defense. Defensive Pistol offers an exciting forum for practical shooters in which truly practical equipment, techniques and courses of fire are mandated. This is the place to compete with your service pistols such as the Beretta, Glock or Sig. Your concealed holster can also be your match holster without handicap.
    If you’re interested in using truly practical pistols, drawn from practical holsters to solve challenging and exciting defensive shooting problems, then Defensive Pistol is the sport for you!
    Goals of Defensive Pistol
    The goal of Defensive Pistol is to create a level playing field for all competitors to test the skill and ability of the individual.
    To promote safe and proficient use of guns and equipment suitable for self-defense use.To provide the shooters with practical and realistic courses of fire that simulate potentially life threatening encounters or to test the skills that would be required to survive life threatening encounters.To offer a practical shooting sport that allows competitors to concentrate on the development of their shooting skills and fellowship with other like-minded shooters.
    Defensive Pistol matches are open to all people who can legally own a handgun regardless of occupation, race, sex or religion. Both pistols and revolvers can be used.
    http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf Here is the complete pdf file on IDPA
    Last edited by Frenchy; July 22nd, 2006 at 01:05 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy
    The IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) sanctions matches that simulate self-defense situations. These matches are NOT training, nor do they teach tactics—they call upon techniques that may be necessary in coming out a winner in a self-defense scenario.
    Just so. Like a lot of competition, what you get out of it depends on what your goals are, and how you consciously steer that competition to your ends.

IDPA is a way to do shooting mechanics -- draw, move, shoot, use cover, reload -- while on a "hot" range, that you would not get a chance to do at your local static range. It's trigger time, and reasonable practice, plus even a nice smidgen of adrenaline stress.

If your goal is to win at IDPA, that will shade your equipment choices, and what you practice. If your goal is to get better at armed self defense, IDPA will help you there, too -- up to a point. Beyond a certain point, though, competition and self defense diverge. For example, moving up through the higher tiers of IDPA competition is all about things like moving quickly between stages and other aspects that have either no, or even a negative, self defense utility.

Since my goal is 100% self defense, what I do at IDPA (disclaimer: I haven't shot IDPA in a couple of years, so some of what I recall as the rules could be obsolete; still, you get the concept) is decide ahead of time that I will not win the competition at the expense of doing anything anti-survival (since you will fight as you train):

1. I will use 100% my own normal clothes and carry gear -- no "tactical" BDUs, no race guns, no radically cut-away or offset-from-body holsters, no low power rounds.
    2. I will simply not do anything unrealistic or tactically unsound: will not race away from cover too fast, for example.
    3. I will do things I wouldn't normally do (tactical reloads, for example) when required, but try as best I can to not "program" myself this way.
    4. I will take the time to get all good shots, rather than rush (though here, I think IDPA scoring is in aligment with reality).
    Last edited by dgg9; July 22nd, 2006 at 09:09 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp
    There are also other shooting competitions. I think CP does some sort of "plate shoot" competition, which is more directly aimed at reflexes and fast aiming and pure shooting. It's another way to approach it. No need to confine yourself to one.

(Allegheny County)

Default Idpa

I'll follow dgg9 in this.

Everyone likes to score well in a competition but if you train seriously I'm right there with his advice.

I also wear street clothes.
    I shoot my carry gun with full power loads.
    I shoot cold (I don't practice before the shoot)
    I'm in the habit of dropping the mag when reloading so this makes me think to do it per rules.
    Time is important but hits are more important.
    I chamber check before each string(Little Bob always assures me the round is in there but I have seen people draw and hear "click")
    I use the unload and show clear, slide forward,hammer down command to dryfire at one of the targets before holstering.(extra practice if you will)

Idpa gets me to the range and the schedule assures me of shooting once a month or twice if I make the combat shoots. I hope when I retire, I'll have more time or find a range closer to me. Collier Sportsmans would be ideal but I think they have too many restictive range rules. C'mon GPGC

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand
    I'm in the habit of dropping the mag when reloading so this makes me think to do it per rules.
    Or I think you can reload-with-retention. I'm pretty sure there's enough flexibility in IDPA rules where you can achieve what you need to per rules, yet do it in a reasonably tactical way. It's just a matter of knowing the permitted variations, and plan ahead to make the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9

1. I will use 100% my own normal clothes and carry gear -- no "tactical" BDUs, no race guns, no radically cut-away or offset-from-body holsters, no low power rounds.
    IDPA Vs. USPSA Although at first IDPA looks a lot like USPSA, the 2 competitions or as many call them "Games" are not the same. One could compare them to Street racing and the Indy 500.

IDPA is realistic to what you could expect on the street, Every thing about it is street survival. No fancy holsters, no mags sticking out of your belt at 45 degrees Even if you are carrying open for the shoot, your gun has to be at belt level just as if you where in conceal carry mode. Holster has to fully enclose the trigger. Clothing is regular every day what you expect to wear while going about your business clothes.

USPSA can have all this and/or special holsters and mag pouches/holders that are at various angles to better suit speed then comfort. This is a sport where equipment some times looks very "Star Trek" like Although the targets and courses may resemble IDPA, the shoot its self is nothing the same.

In IDPA your use of cover will not give you extra points, but your not using it like in USPSA for example, will reduce your points... I learned that quick once Bib yelled COVER COVER!!! Using cover when ever possible will help you gain points.
    Like in USPSA, it is a timed event, so having ready speed loaders or mags is always a plus, YOU DON'T want to do like I did when i went and have just 2 mags ready when the course asks for 3. I had 2 20 rd mags, the course was 18 shots, you would figure 21 rounds would get me through, but the course asked for 6 shots, reload 6 shots reload, 6 shots show empty. One mag missing meant i had to wait to reload or have some one hand me a reloaded mag.

Although it may seem more expensive, when you see people have stove pipes and jam up their guns, you realize you might also want to use the same loads you would expect to use in self defense. This way you can see what to expect from your gun.

Think in terms of "the target can shoot back unless its shot and dead" when you calculate your cover and you will do very well not losing points there, also shoot the first offensive target first, don't think ill go back to it, very hard to remember where all your shots went once your in the shoot.

Remember timing counts, but accuracy matters, so make your shots count, dont pass a target (this is many extra points against you as some targets not shot will break your cover strategy) and when ever possible, use cover and supports available. If the course description has "victims" in it, white targets, avoid sweeping them, as this can result in lost points also.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy
    IDPA is realistic to what you could expect on the street, Every thing about it is street survival. No fancy holsters, no mags sticking out of your belt at 45 degrees Even if you are carrying open for the shoot, your gun has to be at belt level just as if you where in conceal carry mode. Holster has to fully enclose the trigger. Clothing is regular every day what you expect to wear while going about your business clothes.
    Point taken, but again, not my central point. My point was that, even within the range of IDPA-approved holsters and mag carriers, you can "game" your choices for winning the competition at the expense of competing in non-realistic gear.

For example, I can't count the number of people I saw competing with a full size service pistol and kydex OWB...who, when I asked them what they REALLY carried on the street, would say "Oh, a mini-Glock... IWB, under a sweatshirt...usually no spare mag."

No amount of rules can force you to deliberately score less well in pursuit of realism. You have to make a choice to be realistic, knowing full well you'll score lower. And that is a mindset/training decision you make up front.

Second, no amount of rules can make a stage exactly tactically correct. For example, speed counts, yet it is often unsound to rush away from cover to another stage, or to "pie" the room rapidly.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9

No amount of rules can force you to deliberately score less well in pursuit of realism. You have to make a choice to be realistic, knowing full well you'll score lower. And that is a mindset/training decision you make up front.

Second, no amount of rules can make a stage exactly tactically correct. For example, speed counts, yet it is often unsound to rush away from cover to another stage, or to "pie" the room rapidly.
    Last year while I shot USPSA, first thing out of the ordinary was my wife and I shot in the revolver class, only 3 people there did that, and worst, my wife shot with a Lady Smith model 36... Every one went on about how this would never be a competitive factor in the shoot, but our objective was not "speed" shooting, but simply shooting at a variety of targets while on the move and learning how to load on the run.

Although both IDPA and USPSA have guidelines to come out on "top" of the score sheet. Some times you may just shoot to better understand the gun you have and how to best use it strategically. If the people who run the shoot understand your "reasoning" in being there, they can guide you much better knowing you are not there to compete so much against others, as to learn about yourself and your limitations. Some people go there and shoot these shoots like they are playing a nintendo game, and in fact its very close to that for them, you can see it in the way they talk. Others go there to practice some thing they ordinarely would not be able to do with out a big great setup and very time consuming prep. One has to admit, shooting at the same target in the same position over and over again gives you confidance in your shooting ability, but when you have to move and change targets, look for cover, and still be able to remember your round count and score, the practice is invaluable to any one who carries or uses a gun for home defence.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast