Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy
    One has to admit, shooting at the same target in the same position over and over again gives you confidance in your shooting ability, but when you have to move and change targets, look for cover, and still be able to remember your round count and score, the practice is invaluable to any one who carries or uses a gun for home defence.
    As I said, it is good practice(*), within its limitations, IF you approach it with the right mindset. But gaining self defense utility out of competition is NOT an automatic process.

* -- practice, yes, but not a substitute for training.

(York County)

Talking Re: Just got back from my first time attending (not shooting) an IDPA match. Need Adv

Hey, Dan -

First off, welcome to the IDPA Club! It's a neat sport, and you'll meet some of the friendliest gun folks there....

Visit Ted Murphy's website for Easton Tactical Ops - look over the info there for new shooters. If he's running the match, he'll probably have you go through a new shooter's briefing first, which is good.

Most important of all, be safe! The one thing IDPA shooting does for you is give you decent trigger time - and while it's not a substitute for formal training, the more experienced shooters can (and probably will offer, if you're of a mind to listen) tips along the way.

Watch what the others are doing, listen to the SO, and just have fun! You don't have to burn the first run - you might also be surprised that your hands might be shaking a bit, shooting for the first time in front of a bunch of strangers - I know mine did!

Keep the muzzle downrange at all times, follow the range commands of the SO, and make 'em all zero down!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Just got back from my first time attending (not shooting) an IDPA match. Need Adv

I'm going to back Donald on this one. IDPA is not a substitute for tactical training, but can be used as a forum to practice proper tactics and improve your shooting technique. However, practicing proper tactics will, in many cases, cause you to loose.

The other thing IDPA can not teach you is proper mindset. Next time you walk out of a tournament, see how many people walk out carrying the gun/holster/clothing they were shooting with.

Donald already gave great ways not to game it and use it as a forum to practice properly. IDPA tries hard to add realism to their scenario's, however, it is also constrained by being "against the clock" and having rules to level the playing field between contestants using different equipment. That's not a bad thing because rules keeps it fun and keep it safe for the diffenent levels of shooters there. Don't delude yourself into thinking that IDPA teaches anything but how to follow a set of rules to get the fastest time. Just go there, shoot well and have a fun time or go there, use it as a forum to train an have a fun time. Regardless, have a fun time.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Just got back from my first time attending (not shooting) an IDPA match. Need Adv

IMHO the more you handle a handgun, the better you will be with one.

I have been shooting sporting clays for at least 5 years now. Sporting clays is not hunting, but I have found that I am a better bird hunter and all around better shotgun handler due to sporting clays.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    IMHO the more you handle a handgun, the better you will be with one.

I have been shooting sporting clays for at least 5 years now. Sporting clays is not hunting, but I have found that I am a better bird hunter and all around better shotgun handler due to sporting clays.
    You're absolutely right, however, while these activities are excellent activities in which to hone your technique, that is all they are doing. There are other aspects such as tactics and mindset that are not addressed. You have to bring that on your own.

(Bucks County)

My $0.02: don't worry about rushing through the stage. You can get a surprisingly decent score if you just make it a priority to make all your shots and miss none(*), and reload quickly and efficiently. If you do that, and use cover correctly, you'll get good practice benefit from IDPA, and score respectably.

* -- here, IDPA is right on the money. Rushing to get your shot off is a false savings. It only takes a little extra time to make sure the shots are good, and the small amount of time invested gives you a much better score (in IDPA and on the street). It's good time management.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12