Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Can I get bitten by a copperhead and not know it?

A few weeks ago I was doing some yard work in a garden that's up against the house, thick with azalea bushes and mulch. I didn't start out with the intention of spending hours trimming and clearing the garden, so I was only wearing sandals on my feet.

Although azaleas have tough prickly leaves and my legs and feet were getting poked and scratched the whole time, I didn't feel anything like a bite, but the next morning I woke up and my left foot was the size of a grapefruit, with three distinct sets of two evenly space holes around my ankle. My leg ached from the calf down, and my ankle was so sore I couldn't walk. It looked exactly like a sprain, bruising and all, but I know I would have felt a twist that would cause something like this. Besides the holes, there were small white blisters that looked like pimples all over my foot and ankle, which itched like hell.

I took some ibuprofen and benedryl, and wrapped my foot in ice until the pain subsided enough to walk. Then I wrapped my foot up in an ace bandage and went about the day. The swelling had gone down a lot during the day, but the next morning my foot was blown up like a balloon again.

I assumed it was a strange reaction to poison ivy which is all over my property and I'm highly allergic to so I never went to the doc when it happened, but a couple days ago I talked to one and he said it sounds like I was bitten by a copperhead.

Is it possible to get bitten by a copperhead three times and not have a reaction or feel it until the next day?

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Can I get bitten by a copperhead and not know it?

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    A few weeks ago I was doing some yard work in a garden that's up against the house, thick with azalea bushes and mulch. I didn't start out with the intention of spending hours trimming and clearing the garden, so I was only wearing sandals on my feet.

Although azaleas have tough prickly leaves and my legs and feet were getting poked and scratched the whole time, I didn't feel anything like a bite, but the next morning I woke up and my left foot was the size of a grapefruit, with three distinct sets of two evenly space holes around my ankle. My leg ached from the calf down, and my ankle was so sore I couldn't walk. It looked exactly like a sprain, bruising and all, but I know I would have felt a twist that would cause something like this. Besides the holes, there were small white blisters that looked like pimples all over my foot and ankle, which itched like hell.

I took some ibuprofen and benedryl, and wrapped my foot in ice until the pain subsided enough to walk. Then I wrapped my foot up in an ace bandage and went about the day. The swelling had gone down a lot during the day, but the next morning my foot was blown up like a balloon again.

I assumed it was a strange reaction to poison ivy which is all over my property and I'm highly allergic to so I never went to the doc when it happened, but a couple days ago I talked to one and he said it sounds like I was bitten by a copperhead.

Is it possible to get bitten by a copperhead three times and not have a reaction or feel it until the next day?
    The little white bumps could even be ant bites or something. I don't know about the copperhead bite and not knowing about it though. I would imagine you would feel it.

(Bucks County)

I don't know, but I don't think it's impossible. I've never been bitten by a snake, so I don't know what that feels like. I do know that I've suffered all kinds of lacerations, abrasions, and small puncture wounds that I didn't feel when they occurred. I've found that it mostly happens when I'm working. I guess I'm concentrating to the point of excluding the pain.

(Allegheny County)

I would say it's possible to be bitten by a smaller snake and not feel it. Particularly when you are already in the bushes and getting jabbed up by branches and leaves. I've been bitten by a snake before, but only a baby water snake that latched onto a finger while I was trying to hook him for bass bait. Little guy was maybe 5-6 inches long, and I barely felt anything on my finger.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Chester County)

I've never been bitten by a snake, but I'm thinking you'd feel it!

However, I've been bitten by some nasty spiders (while sleeping) & never knew it. I woke up in the morning with 2 fang bite marks & the area very swollen.

Could have been something like that.
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    The little white bumps could even be ant bites or something. I don't know about the copperhead bite and not knowing about it though. I would imagine you would feel it.
    That was my first thought too. Except for the bruising, it looked and felt a lot like a fire ant attack I suffered in Florida, but those little nippers also made me nauseous and dizzy. Another thought was wasp stings, it's the delayed reaction that has me puzzled. Spiders in my bed?

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like spider bites to me. One (don't know what kind) bit my wife on her upper thigh. She never felt a thing. Within a few days, the back of her upper leg looked like something from a horror movie. A trip to the doctor's office, some antiboitics, some steroids, etc. All better now.

(Chester County)

Spiders in my bed?
    No, in the garden!
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Montgomery County)

MY wife had something very similar happen. Poison ivy coupled with a cellulitis infection. It can get very bad if it gets going in the blood - like to the heart. Doesn't explain the holes though, unless you kept hitting a pair of thorns ...
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

Spiders in my bed?
    Sure. Spiders can go just about anywhere.

I doubt you were bitten 3 times by a snake without knowing it. I could see once, if he didn't get a good strike and barely pierced your skin. But 3 strikes, one would've went deep and you'd feel it. Copperhead fangs are 0.3" long. Try sticking 0.3" of a safety pin into your skin without feeling it.

What was the spacing on the marks?
    Found this from someone bit by a copperhead:

The large dots are the fangs & the smaller dots closer to the toes & bottom of the foot are the bottom teeth
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast