Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Are Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I consider Live-Canned Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport

18 24.00%
  • I don't consider Live-Canned Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport

57 76.00%

Threaded View

(Bucks County)

Default Canned Pigeon Shoots-Hunting/Not Hunting

Full Disclosure: My Dad owns a property (family owned since 1920's) adjacent to a gun club that shoots live pigeons. The Gun Club was formed in January 1877. December 1887, a member was found guilty by the Commonwealth of PA for Cruelty to Animals. The club was supposed to stop, but because of its remote location, kept shooting live pigeons.

The club was issued a Cease and Desist order in 2002 and agreed to stop shooting live Pigeons and would just shoot clay pigeons.

They started to shoot live pigeons again the beginning of this year. They President was cited for DC and the charges were thrown out because he made an agreement to stop shooting live pigeons, and go back to clay pigeons. This month they started shooting again and went back to live pigeons (they don't shoot in the summertime because they try to hide their pigeon shoots).

As I do some hunting, I do not think canned pigeon shoots are much of a sport. The pigeons are let out of boxes and a lot of them don't fly. If they don't fly, a kid throws a ball to get them off the ground, as they cannot shoot them on the ground. There are a lot of dead and wounded pigeons on my Dads property.

Just wanted your input as to if you think live pigeon shoots are considered hunting/sport.
    Last edited by theo; November 24th, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: To correct dates 1877 not 1887
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."