Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Are Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I consider Live-Canned Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport

18 24.00%
  • I don't consider Live-Canned Pigeon Shoots Hunting/Sport

57 76.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Canned Pigeon Shoots-Hunting/Not Hunting

I voted no, but I would still have fun killing the hell out of a bunch of flying rats.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

The President says they will keep shooting.

We have video and have some footage.

The Police did not want to get involved last time. They referred it tio the Public Safety Director, and of course he was not available.

My Dad just has to figure how far he wants to take it.
    I think you guys should round up all the wounded pigeons and take them to the vet! I could care less if they are smashing them over the head or lighting them on fire. If you notice these things are called pigeon shoots, not pigeon hunts. One thing i've been waiting for my whole life is a Seagull hunt/shoot. If they open them up I'm bringing a bucket of popcorn and a couple cases of shells.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

i don't think any form of canned hunting is a sport, or should even be considered hunting. it's for jerkoffs who don't have the brains, or balls, to actively go out and pursue prey.

(Lackawanna County)

I don't think it's a sport, but I do think that events like an organized pigeon shoot are necessary. Since the flying rats don't like to venture into the woods, it makes a hunting season a little difficult. Round 'em up and thin 'em out!! I have yet to experience a grouse or pheasant taking a shit on my truck.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i don't think any form of canned hunting is a sport, or should even be considered hunting. it's for jerkoffs who don't have the brains, or balls, to actively go out and pursue prey.
    I don't like the idea of pen raised pheasant or quail hunts on game farms either, but a friend who was going to teach me the ropes wanted to take me on one for my first time out in order to monitor me in a more controled environment my first time out "hunting". I can understand & respect that, but I'm glad that we ended up going to the game lands instead. (I had also ended up going out several times on my own & once with another friend for small game before I was able to hook up with this friend to go out hunting pheasant) Unfortunately there was nothing to flush up & shoot at as a result, but that is part of hunting. I had lots of fun & we got time in the field & were able to work the dog. I think it was best all around because we accomplished everything except the harvest & my moral conscience is intact. I wouldn't feel right "hunting" on a game farm... I might as well just go to the grocery store.
    Going out again tomorrow AM... not sure if we're going for pheasants or geese yet, but I'm ready for either so wish me luck either way!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I had lots of fun & we got time in the field & were able to work the dog.

Going out again tomorrow AM... not sure if we're going for pheasants or geese yet, but I'm ready for either so wish me luck either way!

I wish you good luck hunting tomorrow.

I enjoy just being outdoors and watching the dogs work. Gettiing the game is just a plus.
    Last edited by theo; November 25th, 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

PETA and HSUS are enemies of hunting and the shooting sports. Anyone who works with them is, quite bluntly, turning on the cause. If you don't like pigeon shooting, put pressure on the clubs to stop pigeon shoots. DON'T aid and abet HSUS's campaign to end all hunting in the United States by helping them achieve legislative victories.

Even if you're just a shooter, understand that hunters are an important part of preserving our rights in this Commonwealth. Go to one of the rallies in Harrisburg and look at how many PFSC people you see around. They are an important part of this fight. Don't turn on them by working with HSUS or PETA, or allowing yourself to be played into supporting any part of their agenda.

I do not support pigeon shooting as a shooting sport, but I will absolutely oppose any effort to use government to impose a ban on the practice. If you help HSUS and PETA, that's what you'll be doing, and we'll be slitting our own wrists by doing so.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Beaver County)

I'd have to agree that it's a sport in the sense that WWE is a sport...if it's that universally disliked then get it outlawed like so many other states have done, till then tough cookies...

I'm of mixed opinions on the "anti discharge" laws but 1887 has got to predate enough to be grandfathered...and I sure as hell don't wanna give the government ideas that it can outlaw something and any currently in existence become illegal as well as in the future

and the cruelty laws that the humane soc or Peta would would use doesn't specify sport shooting, they're coming at this under the "catchall provision" and if that holds, how long till PETA files that deer hunting is animal cruelty on the same grounds? do you really think they differentiate between the two like we are?

(Lehigh County)

This has been discussed before and my opinion hasn't changed.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ote-today.html

PETA and HSUS want all the killing of animals to cease. The only way to achieve their goal is to divide and conquer. They are going after the smallest group first just like the anti gunners go for the most vulnerable guns first. After they stop pigeon shoots they'll go after pheasant tower shoots. Then AKC hunt tests and preserve hunting. The goal is to ban all hunting and even the eating of meat. When you condemn another man's shooting sport don't cry when they come after your activity and no one stands with you.

I have never participated in a pigeon shoot because it is too expensive for my budget and even though I shoot skeet on a weekly basis I'm sure I wouldn't be good enough to win a prize. It's a lot harder than it looks. The birds can come out of any one of nine traps and they have to be hit fast. If they fall outside the ring it's a lost bird.

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I don't like the idea of pen raised pheasant or quail hunts on game farms either, but a friend who was going to teach me the ropes wanted to take me on one for my first time out in order to monitor me in a more controled environment my first time out "hunting". I can understand & respect that, but I'm glad that we ended up going to the game lands instead. (I had also ended up going out several times on my own & once with another friend for small game before I was able to hook up with this friend to go out hunting pheasant) Unfortunately there was nothing to flush up & shoot at as a result, but that is part of hunting. I had lots of fun & we got time in the field & were able to work the dog. I think it was best all around because we accomplished everything except the harvest & my moral conscience is intact. I wouldn't feel right "hunting" on a game farm... I might as well just go to the grocery store.
    What drivel. You feel better about hunting pen raised birds on game lands than on a shooting preserve. Of course you couldn't find any birds if you were there more than three days after the stocking truck was there. By that time the ones that haven't been shot have succumbed to hawks, owls and other predators. They not only don't know how to reproduce, they don't know how to roost. There are no wild birds left in PA or any other eastern state. Your not working a dog that has no chance of finding a bird your just giving him exercise.

I also participate in AKC hunt tests for pointing dogs both as a dog handler and as an official gun. Chugars have to be killed in order for the dog to demonstrate his capabilities and a lot more have to be killed to train a gun dog to the Senior or Master level. It is not hunting and it is not very challenging shooting but there is no other way to do it.

People have been killing animals since the beginning of mankind but now in some of your minds it has to be done the politically correct way. I imagine that in a few more decades people will no longer have canine teeth and their eyes will be on the sides of their head. If we in the shooting sports don't stick together we will eventually loose our guns and every thing we like to do with them.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

While not a hunter myself I think it's a fine endeavor and I support it. In fact I believe it to be a right...to gather food should always be considered such. But I have no support for an activity which either kills without reason or gives the prey a severe disadvantage, such as being drugged or pre-staged in a specific location.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast