Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Policy at Work

(Lycoming County)

Default Policy at Work

I never actually pulled up the policy on firearms where I work. Slow night, so I did. I knew they frowned upon weapons in general, but there's one point that makes me scratch my head.

-----------------------
    Administrative Policy Manual SUBJECT: Weapons
    POLICY:
    Only sworn law enforcement and correctional officers are permitted to carry firearms and other deadly weapons in buildings owned, leased or managed by the ... and it's entities.

PROCEDURE:

1. Law enforcement officers, on and off duty, are permitted to carry firearms on properties managed by .... An approved firearm lock box is located outside the Behavioral Health Unit for the purpose of securing the weapons of law enforcement officers. Safety & Security staff or the Behavioral Health Manager shall supply a key to the officer for the purpose of securing the weapon. The law enforcement officer shall retain the key until the firearm is removed from the box, at which time the key is returned to Safety & Security staff or the Behavioral Health Manager.

2. Any person other than a law enforcement officer who is suspected of carrying a firearm or a deadly weapon shall be reported to the Safety & Security department immediately.

3. If the person having possession of the firearm or deadly weapon is a patient, responding Safety & Security staff may ask the owner to give up the weapon to a family member and immediately remove it from the building (i.e., take home or lock in vehicle) or turn it over to the police. Patients with no family members present are asked to surrender their weapon to be held by the police. Patients refusing to surrender a firearm/deadly weapon are reported immediately to the local police department. If a patient is unable to consent to the removal of a weapon, the weapon shall be removed by a Safety & Security staff member or the police, and retained by the police.

4. If the owner of a firearm or other deadly weapon is someone other than a patient, Safety & Security staff shall ask the person to remove the weapon from the building. Those refusing to remove the weapon shall be reported immediately to the local police by Safety & Security.

5. Safety & Security staff shall summon the local police immediately for any firearms observed with a hammer cocked.

6. Firearms surrendered to Safety & Security shall be turned over to the local police for safe custody. This should be noted in a Safety & Security report and on the patient chart.

7. Staff shall use extreme caution in the handling of any firearms or other deadly weapons. Safety & Security staff should be advised in all cases, and, in turn, the local police summoned if there is a question about the safe handling of a weapon.

8. Staff of ... or other entities in off-campus facilities must ask patients and visitors presenting with a firearm or other deadly weapon to remove the weapon from the building. If the patient or visitor refuses to comply, the police having jurisdiction must be contacted immediately.
    ---------------------

I always carry my 1911 cocked. What about hammerless firearms? Just seems pointless to have that in the policy, and to get the police involved then.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

Default Re: Policy at Work

its a feel good policy

(Adams County)

Default Re: Policy at Work

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    its a feel good policy
    I feel better having read it ...

Since it is policy, you should make sure you only carry hammer-less weapons.