Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: What do you look for when inspecting a new pistol?

A SIG can handle a trip in the back of the UPS truck without suffering any major damage I'm sure.

You should only need to check that the sights have not fallen off and that the frame has not somehow been cracked.

As far as functionality, it has a warranty through SIG if in some rare instance it does not function properly. SIG is not Hi-Point or Phoenix, I'm sure you have very little to nothing to worry about.
    Enjoy your SIG, I have had no problems with any I have owned or fired.

And not to sound rude, but since you already paid for it and had it shipped to a local dealer for transfer, how would you go about refusing the transfer?
    Once the local shop receives it in for you, it's pretty much yours right? Or would Bud's take it back and replace it free of charge with no additional cost to you?

Just wondering.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    A SIG can handle a trip in the back of the UPS truck without suffering any major damage I'm sure.

You should only need to check that the sights have not fallen off and that the frame has not somehow been cracked.

As far as functionality, it has a warranty through SIG if in some rare instance it does not function properly. SIG is not Hi-Point or Phoenix, I'm sure you have very little to nothing to worry about.

And not to sound rude, but since you already paid for it and had it shipped to a local dealer for transfer, how would you go about refusing the transfer?
    Once the local shop receives it in for you, it's pretty much yours right? Or would Bud's take it back and replace it free of charge with no additional cost to you?

Just wondering.
    IIRC IANAL but a firearm ordered is not yours until the paperwork has been completed and you have passed PICS. Then once all your paperwork is done, you are now the owner of that firearm. Sorta like buying a car, you tell the salesman what car you want, what color, leather or vinyl and whether you want the big block or a 4 cyl for the wife. If you order a red Charger with a Hemi and leather and they send you a Grand Caravan from a carrier that tried to go under a low bridge, you don't go "oh well, it's mine now" you send the bitch back. Same thing here. You don't take possession of it unless it's what you ordered and in the condition specified.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    IIRC IANAL but a firearm ordered is not yours until the paperwork has been completed and you have passed PICS. Then once all your paperwork is done, you are now the owner of that firearm. Sorta like buying a car, you tell the salesman what car you want, what color, leather or vinyl and whether you want the big block or a 4 cyl for the wife. If you order a red Charger with a Hemi and leather and they send you a Grand Caravan from a carrier that tried to go under a low bridge, you don't go "oh well, it's mine now" you send the bitch back. Same thing here. You don't take possession of it unless it's what you ordered and in the condition specified.
    Your post makes sense if the OP had ordered the gun from his dealer, but I gather from his post, that he already paid the supplier directly.

You buy a car from the dealer, not Chrysler. The dealer takes your money, the dealer orders the car, the dealer profits. If the wrong car shows up, it would be the dealers fault and responsibility to correct. In this case, the dealer is just a paperwork jockey under the law since a PICS needs done.

He already paid for it, so if he decides he does not want it, the dealer that he is using only for the paperwork should do what with it?

The dealer is only making the transfer fee money, should he be expected to send it back for the buyer even though he didn't make a dime off the sale?

I used to be a FFL, but I never had anyone refuse a gun that they had bought from a third party. And honestly, if they had, I would have tossed it under a counter and let it sit there forever. I can't see sticking the dealer with the hassle of babysitting a gun he had nothing to do with until the buyer and the supplier (that the buyer decided to go around the dealer with) decide on how to arrange a return.
    And I actually know a dealer that is still sitting on a gun that a customer paid for three years ago and after logging it in, the customer was denied through PICS. The supplier was paid directly (gunbroker private seller) and refused to take the gun back, the guy that failed the check refused to sell it to the dealer because he overpaid for the gun and expected the dealer to also cough up 20% more than the gun was worth. After having the buyer try a strawman, it is literally still hanging on a nail behind the counted with a "not 4 sale" tag on it.

The OP bought and paid for it already, I would think his options are limited if the gun is busted somehow and the third party decides to be jerks.

I could just see where a guy could get burnt paying for a gun over the internet, so I suppose I was just attempting a buyer beware type post above. Maybe I just read too much into some posts....
    Last edited by 39flathead; November 26th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Etep? It might be a better idea to ask the salesman to remove the slide, etc. and show you how it is done. Otherwise the salesperson might have a nervous breakdown when you commence to taking down a pistol before buying it.

Either way you will be confirming that all is well with the pistol, and if you're like me you might just learn something along the way!
    Yah, but the salesman doesn't own it either. I bought it directly from an online retailer.

Just wondering.
    I would have to send it back to buds and they would be responsible for supplying a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Exactly

Your post makes sense if the OP had ordered the gun from his dealer, but I gather from his post, that he already paid the supplier directly.

You buy a car from the dealer, not Chrysler. The dealer takes your money, the dealer orders the car, the dealer profits. If the wrong car shows up, it would be the dealers fault and responsibility to correct. In this case, the dealer is just a paperwork jockey under the law since a PICS needs done.

He already paid for it, so if he decides he does not want it, the dealer that he is using only for the paperwork should do what with it?

The dealer is only making the transfer fee money, should he be expected to send it back for the buyer even though he didn't make a dime off the sale?

I used to be a FFL, but I never had anyone refuse a gun that they had bought from a third party. And honestly, if they had, I would have tossed it under a counter and let it sit there forever. I can't see sticking the dealer with the hassle of babysitting a gun he had nothing to do with until the buyer and the supplier (that the buyer decided to go around the dealer with) decide on how to arrange a return.
    And I actually know a dealer that is still sitting on a gun that a customer paid for three years ago and after logging it in, the customer was denied through PICS. The supplier was paid directly (gunbroker private seller) and refused to take the gun back, the guy that failed the check refused to sell it to the dealer because he overpaid for the gun and expected the dealer to also cough up 20% more than the gun was worth. After having the buyer try a strawman, it is literally still hanging on a nail behind the counted with a "not 4 sale" tag on it.

The OP bought and paid for it already, I would think his options are limited if the gun is busted somehow and the third party decides to be jerks.

I could just see where a guy could get burnt paying for a gun over the internet, so I suppose I was just attempting a buyer beware type post above. Maybe I just read too much into some posts....
    This pistol was purchased from an online gun retailer. They would have to take it back if it's broken or if its the wrong gun.

(Allegheny County)

It's quite simple to go to the sellers website and check their return policy to understand why the seller has the option to refuse the item at the FFL.

From Buds Website (FAQ):
    13. There is a problem with one of my items, what is your return policy ?

Our return policy allows for item(s) return and your choice of a full refund or replacement item(s). However, we do have a couple simple requirements for processing a return.

1. Firearms - it is solely the customers responsibility to thoroughly inspect the firearm(s) at the FFL prior to accepting the transfer. If there is a noticeable defect of any kind to the firearm, or associated case/contents, please simply refuse the transfer and we will arrange to have the firearm returned to us, at our expense, and issue the customer a full refund or replacement firearm if available. If the customer accepts the transfer from the FFL, we can then only refer the customer to the manufacturer for warranty consideration.

2. Accessories - ALL defective accessories must be returned to Budsgunshop.com in KY for refund or replacement. Please contact us and we will immediately arrange for UPS to pick up the defective items and return to us at our expense. Some accessories are shipped factory direct. If you take it upon yourself to return items to the factory, it is very possible that we will not receive credit for those items and therefore will not be able to issue you credit/replacement.

last updated - 01/02/2009
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Philadelphia County)

Well I don't think I see anything in your post that contradicts anything I posted. What happened to the dealer you know is a result of the restrictions on buying firearms. Thus the situation there seems to be rather unique to the firearms industry. The seller doesn't want anything to do with it since he already has his money. The buyer would then be responsible for getting his money back from the seller if there were something wrong with the firearm, however as he apparently does want the firearm yet cannot take ownership we have a different situation (and rather humorous in my opinion). The firearm is effectively in limbo with the buyer unable to take possession and the seller for some reason uninterested in having it returned. I must admit you have me there, I don't see much else to do in that situation other than what he has done already. If there were just something wrong with the firearm or the wrong one was sent I'd expect the seller to make good either with a replacement or monetary reckoning. A friend of mine ordered a LMT SBR upper and instead his FFL received a MRP SBR upper. He decided that he'd take it as the delay on another LMT upper would likely be longer than it would take him to save up to pay the difference for the MRP. If the inverse had been true and he had received a standard upper and had ordered an MRP I fully expect that the FFL he ordered it through would have been happy to either refund him the difference or reorder an MRP.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12