Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Bucks County)

Default Romanian TTC/TT33 Tokarev Question

I have a 1953 Romanian TTC that has a peculiarity to it when trying to rack the slide.

The slide gets stuck once the hammer gets to about half cock. If you really strong arm it, you can get it to complete its cycle. However, if you pull the hammer back first, the slide moves freely and is easily racked.

I believe this problem is related to a burr on the firing pin block, but would like somebody with far more experience to confirm this for me. Also, any suggestion on how to remove the burr myself (if that is the problem) would be very welcomed!

I have included pictures of the slide at the point of where it gets stuck as well as the firing pin block burr that I believe is causing the problem. The third picture is the same thing as the firing pin block burr but with it circled. If you right click on the pictures and select open in new window or open in new tab, they are larger and more detailed.

One last non smithing question about the TTC. Does anybody know why the pistol is marked Romania by CAI but it has marking that are similar to the Ishevsk markings on my Mosin rifle? I know it is a Russian design. I know that the Romanians and the Russians were sort of WWII allies for a bit and then enemies when the Russians switched to the Allies. I know that the Russians had control of Romania following the end of WWII. Were these Russian guns originally? Were they guns that were started in Russia and completed in Romania? Are they completely Romanian? Any information really would be welcomed!

If anybody has any recommendation on the sights as well, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you in advance!
    -Zach
    Attached Images Attached Images