Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Romanian TTC/TT33 Tokarev Question

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I decided to be brave and file the burr down a little. I figured the pistol is cheap enough to learn on so there was no reason not to.

I carefully filed down the burr. I wasn't able to completely remove it, but I probably could have if I had removed the firing pin.

Now the slide is able to be racked with the hammer at its resting (uncocked) position. It is still a little tough, but nowhere near where it was and it doesn't get hung up at the half cock position.

Time to pat myself on the back and consider it a job well done!

Thank you all for your help!

-Zach

(Philadelphia County)

Nice! You've given me something to consider now that I know it can be done...
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Good Morning gents: Am late into this issue as I have an 'new' Tok' and have the same probelm, plus a few more. I have an 'older' Tok that pops out bullets every time i pull the tigger. LOVE IT. Was shooting last week at my farm and at 20 yards, was putting rounds 'all the way through' an 8 x 8 pine block. The round is a hoss for sure. Please keep this in mind while in the field. I liked my old one so much, i bought a 'new' unissued one for $30 more and, well,,,she looks clean but, I have the 'rack' issue also. Took it to the farm and had 300 or so rounds and guess what. She won't fire at all! No bang, no fun. My old Tok, will not rack at all in 1/2 cock as this is the old Rusky 'safety'. Flip the ole "USA Lawyer Switch" (added after factory safety) and full cock and she racks up just fine. OK, enough of the 'good one' let's get back to the problem child.

The new one racks hard. And as ZACHOMEGA enjoys, hangs up. Dig this. I turn it upsided down and it gets better! But, since I usually don't shoot standing on my head, this is no real solution. ALSO, more saddening she just will not FIRE. I know she had a new pin installed as the fire pin retaining pin, #11 in the blow up, is not stock. She has been 'hammered' in and is not the compresseion fit pin from the factory. Upon examination, if you pull the slide and depress the firing pin with a small screwdrive, the pin will not extrude into the firing cavity at all. I can take a probe and push it and she slides just fine. I cleaned her up by soaking in a tub of Ed's Red and lubed her up, but, the firing pin is too short, plain and simple. I have two new ones, but, am debating whether to send it back to IO INC and let them solve it, or, just slap in the new one myself. I am taking off this week for vacation so probably will fiddle with it myself. I might even try swapping out slides and see if there is any difference in the two pistols.

Also, I have added a muzzle compensator on it and seems to help and make it look a bit more intimidating. Really like it. I got it from the same fellas I bouth the firing pins from. Site is MAKAROV.COM. I know, this isn't a Makarov but this site sells the TOK fireing pins in 4140 steel and these neat compensators.

I noticed in J&G SALES website, they sell 9MM Barrels for Toks. And the Mak site sells 9MM Tok compensators. Might try this combo out for fun. But, as long as AIM is selling 1240 round for around 100 bucks, won't be popping 9's out very much even if i do the Mod.

I will fool around with the firing mechainisms today and see if my new one has the 'ridge' on the hammer. And more interestingly, see if my 'old' one has it too.

thanks guys.

"advanced skills are those employed while preforming the basics when your leg is on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by nosedive View Post
    ... ALSO, more saddening she just will not FIRE. I know she had a new pin installed as the fire pin retaining pin, #11 in the blow up, is not stock. She has been 'hammered' in and is not the compresseion fit pin from the factory. Upon examination, if you pull the slide and depress the firing pin with a small screwdrive, the pin will not extrude into the firing cavity at all. I can take a probe and push it and she slides just fine. I cleaned her up by soaking in a tub of Ed's Red and lubed her up, but, the firing pin is too short, plain and simple....
    This was done to nearly all the Chinese TT-33s imported years ago, with the intent that they would fire via inertia. Most of the time they didn't, so misfiring was both common and regarded as an acceptable side effect.

Caveat utilitor:
    Replacing the firing pin with the correct length (2.125" as I recall) will clear this up, but it introduces an old hazard -- under certain conditions a TT-33 can potentially discharge if dropped on the hammer with a live round in the chamber.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Thanks for the info PA! Will try to swap out old firing pin with new one and give her a try. I have not checked OAL on the pins I have but will do so when I have the old one out. Check the delta between the two. I have some misc. old 'heavy duty' firing pin springs in a box somewhere and may try a bit stouter pin spring to help with the 'drop fire' issue. I carry my 'old' Tok at the locked, 1/2 cocked position with the after factory safety on and haven't been able to get it to discharge by lightly tapping the hammer with a small, soft rubber mallet so, believe she is safe to carry in this condition. I have not tested the new Tok in this manner and really, haven't done anything with it. It has been, and will be, relegated to the lock box until all these little bugs are resolved. It is just frustrating to buy a new one and have problems. Oh, well,, what do you expect for a new, $230 pistol made in 1953?

I didn't have any time yesterday to piddle around with these things as wife 'snookered' me into a shopping trip. She was mubbling something about the grocery store earlier and may get hooked into that today also. When will all the shopping end???!!! Seems lack of money is no issue. Oh, well, 31 years with the same one and haven't been hauled off to jail so I really have no grounds for any meaningful complaint.

Thank you for the feed back and information.

Nosedive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12