Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Ranges in the Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg area?

Are there any ranges in the Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, or Harrisburg area that are either free or cost very little to use and don't require membership or have very cheap membership rates?

A co-worker wants to go shooting with me and wants me to show him the basics of firearms. We work in Camp Hill but he lives an hour south of Camp Hill and I live 45 minutes north, so it makes it hard to get together.

Since neither of us are really local to this area, spending money for a membership we'll rarely use seems like a waste of money.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ranges in the Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg area?

There are Game Comission ranges in Carlisle and Dillsburg. Dillsburg would probably be the easiest because it isn't too far off 15
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Cumberland County)

I second the posting above.

(York County)

West Shore Sportsmans Assoc in Lewisberry is only $50 or $55 per year. Well worth it IMO just for an indoor range that can be used till 11PM. They also have numerous outdoor arhery, pistol, rifle and trap ranges.

If you join, you can bring your friend once in a while as a guest for $1 (I'm not sure on the exact policy on how frequent before they need a membership).

For a years membership at WSSA you could only shoot for a few hours at Freedom Armory in Glen Rock. I was going to join there for the $300 unlimited use membership since I pass it each day (live in Dover, work in Baltimore), but then learned you can not draw from a holster there, which you can at WSSA if you are a member of one of two of their regular shooting groups that practice these techniques. I joined WSSA two months ago and have been very happy with it and the folks I have met there.

The 3 round in the gun limit at the PA Game Commision ranges turned me off. It is just not practicle for how I want to regularly practice. I've heard they can give a pretty stiff fine if you have a fully loaded mag.

(York County)

WSSA's fees are:

$70.00 for a Family Membership.
    $55.00 for Single Adult.
    $40.00 for Senior.

All the above have a $10.00 initiation fee, and require a $5.00 deposit for the electronic gate and ID card.

WWGunslinger, you are in Perry County, which is outside our 3 county (West Shore) area. Those residing outside of York, Dauphin and Cumberland counties may elect to apply for a Guest Membership for $40.00. Guest members do not have voting rights, have no initiation fee, but still pay the $5.00 deposit for the electronic gate card.

Broncitis,

To clear up a few policy matters -

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis
    If you join, you can bring your friend once in a while as a guest for $1 (I'm not sure on the exact policy on how frequent before they need a membership).
    The Temporary Member policy allows a member to bring a guest up to 3 times under the Trial Visit provision before that person must join to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis
    You can <draw from the holster> at WSSA if you are a member of one of two of their regular shooting groups that practice these techniques.
    That applies to the Indoor Range only. The Outdoor Ranges allow any member to draw from the holster, provided he does it safely and with control.

Glad you like the place.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Perry County)

So whats the deal with having to be voted in as a member at some of these places?

(York County)

You must not be familar with the concept of a membership club. Non-for-profit membership clubs vote people in.

When you join a private, non-for-profit club, you literally get the keys to the door. Most of the time when you go shoot at a private club, you are there with little or absolutely no supervision. A large amount of trust is extended to you to respect the facilities and conduct yourself responsibly. You'll have to forgive these clubs if we'd like to meet you first.

When you go to a for-profit business, a place like Freedom Armory, paid staff watch over you. If they don't like you, you're simply gone for good.

(York County)

Yes, as much as I enjoy the group practice, I also like "having the whole place to myself" sometimes to practice specific things or shoot at my own pace. The only downside (if you can even call it that ?) is that its always much more costly per hour in rounds fired when there's no downtime waiting for your turn at the COF, especially with a pile of the 17 rd. mags for my new blaster!

Thanks for the help last night Ken! I'm going to try to get over to meet Jim as you suggested and to finally attend the NTI Study Group I've been looking forward to particpating in.

(York County)

Not a problem.

If Jim can't help you, let me know and I'll bring my tools out next week. I still think you ought to try some heavier ammo first. I have plenty of 147 gr 9mm at the house.

Enjoy Study Group tomorrow! Tell Jim I said hi from Virginia.