Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking to get my first gun...

Like the Millions of other people that are now looking into getting a handgun before they try to make it Illegal. Right now I think that I like the XDM-40 With the Stainless slide. I don't want to spend more than 600.00 for a new gun and I am pretty sure that I want to stick with the 40 so that I have the speed with the knock down power. I have never fired a hand gun only riffles and I was wondering where I could try shooting this gun before I buy one. I also would like to go to a good class or have someone that is very knowledgeable about handguns help me with this. I could use as much advise right now as possible. I live in Horsham so if anyone has this gun and would meet me at a local range to show it to me I would be much appreciative.

Thanks and God Bless!

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Looking to get my first gun...

Open the yellow pages, or do an internet search for indoor ranges near you.

Most indoor ranges have a LARGE collection of firearms available to the public for rent at the range. Rentals are usually inexpensive, and in my experience, the range masters are very good at explaining operation of the gun before setting you loose with it. They could also hook you up with information on classes.

You MAY not find the exact pistol that you are interested in, but if you tell them what you are looking for, they could probably set you up with something that is VERY close.

And go into it with an open mind. You may find something that you like better for your first gun. I did and was VERY happy that I did.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Delcoadvocate; November 6th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Default Re: Looking to get my first gun...

Since your in Horsham I'll recommend Classic Pistol in Southhampton for your start. They have an array of rentals for you to try out. They also have classes. Explain to them your objective of purchasing and I'll bet they let you run through a few guns at a reduced price. You'll probably have to purchase the ammo of course but with a buyer on the line their likely to let you browse a bit.

I commend you on your direction with this. You've thought it out as best you can before stepping up to the cash register. I highly recommend classes to everyone who is as you, interested in obtaining a firearm for the first time. Pulling the trigger is the easy part. Safety and responsibility are the key. Technical ability will come with practice.

Consider getting a LTCF (license to carry firearms). You don't have to carry but having one will help tilt the scales favorably on our right to carry or possess firearms. But I do recommend NOT carrying till your competent with a gun. You need to study the laws....and the consequences. It's a huge responsibility to carry a firearm.

Best of luck in this, please keep us informed as you progress towards your goal.

Classic Pistol is close by to you, but I would recommend taking a little drive down to a place on the Delaware state line that I would otherwise not recommend: Targetmaster.

While it's true that Classic Pistol has rentals, Targetmaster has a much, much wider selection of pistols to rent, as well as a much larger selection (on the order of ten times more) of pistols for purchase. You really need to shoot something and makes comparisons before you purchase. Without trying things out, you might wind up with a pistol that isn't well suited for you.

My issues with Targetmaster have to do with the way that the place is run and the lack of warm fuzzies between the owner and the staff and the public in the shop. That said, they have a ton of rentals and a decent range, more so than Classic.

Renting is a good option. You can try a few, and find one that you like.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

I wound up buying am XDM .40 from Claytons in Horsham which is around the corner from me. I bought the gun for 599.00 which was better than any other price I was getting on this gun in the Bi-tone. I appreciate the help that you guys gave me...

(Chester County)

While you're at it, get yourself a good .22 pistol. They're great for honing your skills without breaking your wallet. Even after years of shooting I still find that working with my .22 pistol helps me reduce flinching and grip problems that creep back into my shooting.

Oh and.... welcome to the forums.
    Μολὼν λάβε