Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Taurus' The Judge

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I totally agree, when I first saw this I was thinking to myself wow, now that is going to have a place in my center consol, then you take a look at the ballistics and it just doesnt have them.. in all fairness though american rifleman, and self defense TV both did a few spots on the gun, and made it out to be wonderful for defense also, so I wonder if the padding in their pockets didnt get a little better after those reviews aired
    You don't think getting shot in the face with that would deter a car jacker??
    Even if it didn't take their head off it would have to at least knock them back so you can get away.

so would a hit from a paint ball gun , but none the less I figure when guns come into play the potential for real lethal force must be present , a shot to the face of a car jacker would have him rethinking his ways for sure , but then again so would a 22LR and from what I have read here many folks are not claiming the 22LR for use on car jackers as being a great new find. So why this gun? And from a long barreled shotgun I took a rebound hit from a load of 12ga shot at about a 6 ft distance and I have taken a partial load of 410 shot from a cast 410 deringer , none of which broke skin , never mind put me out for the count , startled me , sure. Anyhow some folks claim at close range birdshot holds together and works as a solid slug , this is false as it does not. The energy statements of this 410 gun leave much out and speaks nothing of the pellets ability to penetrate due to its serious lack of mass.
    This gun could kill , sure but alot of other things that could do not get the green light for carrying when lethal force is wanted.
    As far as watching t.v shows and mags about guns go , when is the last time you seen them go , "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT COMPANY THINKING?" , drop the gun and walk away?
    That gun could have a useful purpose but if a company markets it a way that makes some lady go or non shooter go, "geeze I could get that and it'd be great for my home" then they should be ashamed of themselves , but thats just my opinion, I do know that if I armed my mother or someone else with that gun , I wouldn't sleep well at night

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    You don't think getting shot in the face with that would deter a car jacker??
    That is easier said than done.

If we try to look at this type of event realistically, the distance will be very close, you will be in a confined space (the interior of a car), it will be dynamic and the car jacker may even try to lay his hands on you.

Does anyone think they'll be able to use sighted fire? I don't.

I actually foresee shooting from retention due to proximity to the threat which means targeting CoM. I seriously doubt you'll have an opportunity to use sighted fire under these circumstances. In fact, attempting to use sighted fire would almost be tantamount to handing the pistol to the threat.

(Allegheny County)

I purchased the 6" version of the JUDGE a month ago and love it!! It does only shoot 2 1/2 inch 410's but I can't imagine using a shorter barrel as the shot pattern is really wide at 10 yards even with the 6" barrel. A friend and myself use it to shoot skeet at our club and other members think we are nuts. You can only use it on stations 1, 7 and 8 because the other stations are too far away for the pattern.
    It shoots the 45 colt ammo very accurately at 20 yards as well.
    Gary

(Cumberland County)

It just seemed to me that getting hit with a bunch of pellets in the face or body would be a great deterent. It tears that paper up, I'd like to see what it would do to flesh.

I'm not planning to buy one but it did seem like a good idea at the time.

(Allegheny County)

If you were going to use it for self defense I would recommend using 410 slugs or double ot buckshot.....that will do a lot more than pepper them in the face with birdshot.

(Delaware County)

As it stands ill be at the september shoot, and The judge will be there for some hands on review. If your there feel free to ask to shoot it, im not gonna have tons of ammo but ill have enough for a few shooters.

ETA ill have #8 shot, if anyone wants to try somethign else, bring it, just remember 2 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    And from a long barreled shotgun I took a rebound hit from a load of 12ga shot at about a 6 ft distance and I have taken a partial load of 410 shot from a cast 410 deringer , none of which broke skin , never mind put me out for the count , startled me , sure. Anyhow some folks claim at close range birdshot holds together and works as a solid slug , this is false as it does not. The energy statements of this 410 gun leave much out and speaks nothing of the pellets ability to penetrate due to its serious lack of mass.
    I'm curious to hear about this partial load that you took from a .410 out of a cast deringer. What was the load? What distance were you at? I've been "shot" a few times with shotguns while guiding pheasant and quail hunts; some of it broke the skin and needless to say it didn't feel very good. Most of the time some of the pellete will tear through my hunting vest and jackets. I've been peppered more times than you can count. This doesn't usually break the skin or hurt too much, but it's also at a longer distance. Much of what happens with any shotgun will depend on the distance and the load being used.

Now I will NEVER advise anyone to use birdshot in a shotgun for defense, not even in a full sized 12 gauge would I advise anyone to use birdshot, it just doesn't work. Buckshot on the otherhand is quite a different story. I personally believe that 00 buckshot, in 2.5" or 3" shells would definately break the skin from this pistol and could definately kill. If some of ya'll would like, I can see if I can borrow my friend's snake slayer and do a video or some tests with a .410 00 buckshot. Buckshot ain't playing around, and it's a total different situation than if you're using some birdshot.

(Delaware County)

Shot the Judge sunday at the september shoot. For a cool factor, it gets a 7. However it failed to knock a single plate off the star. Effectiveness 0. At first I though i was just a lousy shot but I hit every plate with my glock 26. Not somethign i would want for self defence, im sure at closer range it woudl be more effective, but id rather have something that is more effective at any range.

I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't that impressive. What was the load you were shooting chev? I'm sure as you know, in shotgun shells for defense purposes, it can make a world of difference. Also, what kind of range are you talking about? Did you actually print the pistol on something else besides shooting it at the star? I know sometimes changes of grip angles and also changes between revolver and pistol can be tricky.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast