Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thumbs down Re: Taurus' The Judge

I know someone who just won a "judge" at a friends of the NRA event. First time out with the gun it jammed after the first shot with 45LC. Had to pry out copper between the barrel and the cylinder. I was not impressed.

Default Re: Taurus' The Judge

In their advertising, Taurus touted this gun as a jim-dandy anti-carjack item. So, I got to think'n what I'd likely experience during a car jacking and it looks something like this as my fertile mind conjured it. Its about 11:30 at night and the streets are all but deserted. I pull up to a red light and whilst waiting for it to change adjust my heater vents and change the frequency on the radio. Suddenly, a piece of 3 foot heavy steel rod smashes the driver's side window, scare'n the live'n crap out of me. Before I can draw my revolver from the left side of my lower abdomen the steel rod comes thru the broken window area and smacks me in the face, breaking my nose. I get a firm grip on the gun and pull it from the holster just as the steel rod comes through the window for the third time, smashing out several of my front teeth. At this point the gun is firmly in my hand but I'm in a real world of hurt and the steel rod is on its way back in for the knockout blow. Do I want to take time at this juncture to raise the barrel of the gun and attempt to fire a load of buckshot into the face of my assailant? FUCK NO I DON'T!! I start pulling the trigger as quickly as I can sending slugs thru the car door into the general direction of the attacker. I say "general direction" because at this point I cannot actually see the guy. Do I run the risk of hitting an innocent bystander taking a late night stroll? Perhaps. Do I stand a good chance of dying on the spot if I don't get the attack stopped. You bet yer ass I do. You be the judge, would YOU want a Judge under those circumstances? (OK, OK, I blew the situational awareness test!)
    Stuck in CA, wish'n I was in PA!!

FYI The December Issue of Shooting Times has an article on the Judge. It addresses the pros and cons of the handgun. One thing factual about it is that it is selling as fast as Taurus makes them! If I got one of these I would get the 6.5 inch tracker model in the 3 inch version. The article states that Federal is making ammo for the Judege that includes a 000 buckshot load rated at 1300 feet per second. It seems like five .357 caliber lead balls at 1300 fps would get a bad guys attention--in a close encounter.
    ed

(Luzerne County)

I was just talking with a guy I know who had a judge. He sent it in for repairs. He said the cylinder seemed to be slightly out of time when locked up. He had gotten it back with the same problem. he traded it in for a glock.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I was just talking with a guy I know who had a judge. He sent it in for repairs. He said the cylinder seemed to be slightly out of time when locked up. He had gotten it back with the same problem. he traded it in for a glock.
    I agree. I would much rather have a G26 that holds 10 rounds of 9mm than the Judge which holds 6 rounds of 45/410 or a combination thereof.

I confess I own a Bond Arms derringer in 45/410 caliber. I like it. It's fun to shoot. But I would NOT carry it for self defense.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

I had stopped commenting for awhile because the level of #### was getting a little deep in here. For all those doubters out there on the Judge and its effectiveness. Read this news story.
    http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=9096658

Short version:

67 year old man comes home. 2 punks try to rob him. He pulls Judge out and starts laying down the law. 1 punk dead, 1 punk in hospital, 67 year old fine. End of Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liberty View Post
    I had stopped commenting for awhile because the level of #### was getting a little deep in here. For all those doubters out there on the Judge and its effectiveness. Read this news story.

Short version:

67 year old man comes home. 2 punks try to rob him. He pulls Judge out and starts laying down the law. 1 punk dead, 1 punk in hospital, 67 year old fine. End of Story.
    Just remember, it's a Taurus..........

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liberty View Post

Short version:

I don't think the story would have ended any differently if he had pulled out a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyo View Post
    I don't think the story would have ended any differently if he had pulled out a 1911.
    Might have been different had it been a typical Taurus.

(Monroe County)

Or a 9mm, 40 s&w 357 sig, 38 special 10mm etc etc.

Do not get me wrong, I am happy the Judge did the job, and dispatched a couple of scumbags, there is still nothing in the story that makes me wanna go out and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyo View Post

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast