Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I'll catch heck again (from this fourm), but, bought another gun

I know I'm going to get run upside and down the other, but I'm prepared for it. I bought a Hi Point .45

It is clumsy as all hell, and isn't much to look at. But it goes bang when I pull the trigger and is VERY accurate. I got use to it last night by just holding it alot while on the computer watching online TV episodes (after checking the weapon several times to ensure its "cold" i also put that little yellow tag in the barrel to show its unloaded)

After holding it for most of the evening, I am use to how it feels. I'm going to head to the range, probably tomorrow to see how it feels and do some more shooting. I got rid of my 24/7 Pro because I felt it was "junk" and was very inaccurate (for me to shoot) and had way too much recoil. So, it may not make sense to buy this one. But theres a difference. The Taurus cost $400 (which I come to find is a steal, most are $425+) and the Hi Point cost me $175, so there is a difference in persepective as what to expect from it. And I must say, so far, this Hi Point works alot better. Not as pretty, Taurus does make a pretty gun, and it doesnt fit as well (at first) but I am VERY satisfied with my purchase. I wanted to keep another .45 around for defense. I also like that its +P rated. So I loaded up some +P 185gr JHP for it.

I'm amazed that the .45 doesn't take all that much more powder than my 9mm. And the pressures it operates are alot lower as well. It just must be that 11.65mm hole vs a 9mm and the little extra mass that makes the difference.

Default Re: I'll catch heck again (from this fourm), but, bought another gun

I enjoy my Hi-Point. I have the 40 cal. Once you get used to the feel and the weight, it is a good shooter.

I did have an issue, not sure if it was the pistol or the reloads that I was using. I had over 1000 rounds through it by then. I sent it back to Hi-Point, and it was returned 4 days later. I have not had a problem since.

Enjoy it!

(Northumberland County)

i have never owned a hipoint but my dad has had one of the 9mm's for about 10 years now and never had problems with it and my cousin carrys one of the .40 cals i think they get a bad rep cause they dont cost 800 bucks anyway congrats and have fun
    If it go's BOOM, I want it

Smile Re: I'll catch heck again (from this fourm), but, bought another gun

If you can get use to the extra weight and it goes boom everytime its a good value,I own the 9mm carbine,never a bobble over 6000 rounds never cleaned because I am curious to how long it can go,its just a range plinker nothing more nothing less !

(Luzerne County)

No heck from me. If it makes you happy its all good.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Hey man, I don't care what gun you buy... As long as your happy thats all that matters! Good job on not letting the name and brand get the best of you... give us a good range report along with some pics and we will call it a day!
    ΑΣΦ

(Montgomery County)

Congrats, yet I must correct the generally held idea that they are not very different.

The HiPoint pistols use straight blowback without any form of breech locking mechanism. What this means is that there is no delay in the movement of the breech and slide during the firing sequence. This creates the necessity for a massive slide and very heavy spring, especially in a caliber like .45 or .40. Blowback operation pistols will generally be heavier then other types of systems.

Materials and machining is where the corners are cut to produce a low cost firearm. The slide of HiPoint pistols is die cast zamak-3 which is a zinc alloy. The properties of zinc alloys do not offer the strength, elasticity and durability of steel and aluminum alloys. The metal parts spend less time being machined to reduce cost and thus are typically not of as high of a tolerance as a more machined weapon.

At an MSRP of 186 USD for the .45 ACP model it seems to be an inexpensive buy. However, 1000 rds of .45 ACP runs in the 400 USD range when you can find it by the case. I am not knocking a purchase decision, that is an individual choice. However, you get what you pay for. For me, 186 USD for a pistol that I would never rely upon for self defense, would not shoot in competition or training and would not be as much fun at the range as a SIG or SA .45 is too expensive.

I am probably a "gun snob" because I carry revolvers...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I know I'm going to get run upside and down the other, but I'm prepared for it. I bought a Hi Point .45 ...
    But probably not for the reason you thought. Here's a hint:

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Wow, I'm surprised.

Well I did shoot it a bit yesterday. 25 rounds.

At first, through fault of my own, the rounds were going to the left of the target. This was a 100 yard rifle target by the way. I was shooting at 10 meters. Just something to squeeze off real quick. After the first clip, I got the feel for it. I got closer and closer to the center the more rounds I fired. By the time I shot the last clip, I had a large ragged hole about a quarter inch below and slightly to the left of the bullseye. And that was firing one handed. I can tell you, firing this tank one handed was a chore. But Even firing max loads the recoil was less than firing factory loads out of my 92fs. Not anywhere close to my old 24/7 pro. I loved the look of that gun, but man, did I hate shooting it.

Sorry to the above poster about the pics. I didn't post any because the gun is brand new and it still looks exactly as a one from the factory website. But if you want to still see some "home grown" pics, I'll be glad to post a few.

A toast to your new gat:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast